Author Topic: did rondo rope a dope  (Read 5683 times)

did rondo rope a dope
« on: December 21, 2014, 09:15:10 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
He is smart and a game player.I posted this thought awhile ago ,even as i was a rondo apologist as far as his injury went.Did rondo not play d,did rondo miss foul shots and did rondo look for Zeller to show mavs what he could do for a just average big.Last night he drew 4 charges and stepped up d and played an all around good game with some nice bounce passes ala rondo.It seems like he made himself trade able and at an affordable price.He wanted out.He was a court magician and will make a good team great but it wasn't going to work on a rebuilding team.Wish we kept Powell.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 09:47:22 AM by rollie mass »

Re: did rondo rope a dope
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 09:23:09 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I have long felt this or something like this. I thought maybe he wasn't going all out at the end of games to basically help this team tank, but with no real proof I felt it was moot.

since he came back though, one thing he always had a knack for was if his guy did by him Rondo would tip the ball away from behind. a lot of times this would result in a turnover, but since being back I don't think I've seen him attempt that even once.

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 09:45:40 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
No wonder Ainge seemed cold .He is going to take all the heat as Rondo excells in Dallas.The celts have had thin players before satch sanders,bill russell,maxwell and reggie.I hope Wright entertains and stays but moving him for more low round draft picks and not in a package that brings  someone special ,will just make rondo's leaving even more painfull.Rondo  should have increased his value not diminished it,for the fans and celtics.Now as he plays back to old form ,he is on a contender that will pay big bucks to keep him and he has nice weather.Smart guy that rondo.

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 10:08:17 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 290
Well, he didn't rope a dope his shooting at least.

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 10:10:59 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 290
Rondo plays better in some situations. When stakes are high and when he's around other great players he becomes even better. I don't think it's intentional necessarily. Every single player ever is a situational player in that some situations suit them better than others.

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 10:25:58 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
it was rondo's first game for his new team, i would expect him to do well. having said that, his stat line was below average for him in general.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 10:47:14 AM »

Offline ViolentGhandi

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
4 charges is amazing - havent seen him doin that ever - dallas want him to play D and its proof that he stays in front of his man - the Spurs really shorthanded (3rd game in 4 nights right? playing without parker, ginobli and duncan) helped his cause - nuthing better than starting off with a win - about his other stats well avg night but he is in a new envirement and it will take a couple of weeks for him to adjust

I wish him the best - maybe he can help Dirk to another ring - as a german I would aproof that ;)

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 10:48:02 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
The Mavs barely beat the Spurs second team.

All Pop had to do was foul Rondo, and he would have won.

Why he didn't is beyond me.

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 10:48:51 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
4 charges is amazing - havent seen him doin that ever - dallas want him to play D and its proof that he stays in front of his man - the Spurs really shorthanded (3rd game in 4 nights right? playing without parker, ginobli and duncan) helped his cause - nuthing better than starting off with a win - about his other stats well avg night but he is in a new envirement and it will take a couple of weeks for him to adjust

I wish him the best - maybe he can help Dirk to another ring - as a german I would aproof that ;)

Joey Crawford officiated the game.

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 10:52:21 AM »

Offline banty19

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 25
I think Rondo was pacing himself a bit, possibly more to avoid injury than to get traded. But last night was not a good debut for Rondo.

The Spurs were without their 4 big stars (Parker, Manu, Kawhi, Duncan) and the Mavericks barely squeaked out a win. Besides the last few minutes of the game, Rondo was invisible on offense. He made some questionable passes that ended up being turnovers. He displayed the same habit of holding/dominating the ball, which killed the flow of their offense. And he had a bunch of iffy pullup jumpers that don't belong when he has Dirk and Monta as teammates.

His final stat line:

6 PTS, 3-11 FG, 7 REB, 9 AST, 4 TO

That's not great.

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 10:57:11 AM »

Offline ViolentGhandi

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
maybe he likes Rondo and wants us to be sad about losing him

or

he didnt recognize it wasnt Nelson at the point (asume I was told by a guy living in the woods that pop doesnt have a TV nor Interwebs and give a s*** about rants)

or

he find it unfair to win by abusing the opponents weaknesses

or

the chance just wasnt there

you may pick the answer you are most comfortable with or ask your magic 8ball

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 11:28:31 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
banty-after watchin clips ,rondo did miss breakaway,looked quite hesitant and waiting for trailer to do the finish. I saw that in boston and that was one of the reasons i had him at not 100%-so maybe he isn't or maybe he wanted a flashy pass to a new team mate that slowed up a bit. Can't wait to watch Wright. As good a passer as rondo was this guy is around the rim and as a jumper/blocker dunker-trade one set of high lites for another.I have read from dallas sources what fun he was even when losing and a nice guy-- fans loved him     

« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 11:43:27 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 11:33:55 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
He is smart and a game player.I posted this thought awhile ago ,even as i was a rondo apologist as far as his injury went.Did rondo not play d,did rondo miss foul shots and did rondo look for Zeller to show mavs what he could do for a just average big.Last night he drew 4 charges and stepped up d and played an all around good game with some nice bounce passes ala rondo.It seems like he made himself trade able and at an affordable price.He wanted out.He was a court magician and will make a good team great but it wasn't going to work on a rebuilding team.Wish we kept Powell.

When he wants to, he can be one of the best defenders in the league. The problem is getting him to want to. The playoffs made him do it, & so did certain matchups.

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 11:44:26 AM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
Please! I'm getting sick this Rondo intentionally sucked some parts of the game threads.
The kid can't shoot to save his life. Nobody embarrasses himself with 30% free throw shooting on purpose.
Thank God Rondo is gone. I have no problem with Rondo, he's a good player, just not a franchise player. My problem is the CONSTANT EXCUSES for him here.
At the end of the day he will not break or make the mavs either. Monta and Dirk and to some lesser degree Parsons will decide their fate. He can help them hopefully, but don't expect him scoring 20+ points and game winning buckets.

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 11:47:56 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

When he wants to, he can be one of the best defenders in the league. The problem is getting him to want to. The playoffs made him do it, & so did certain matchups.

Rondo's defense was bad for the first 8-10 games but was fine after that.