Author Topic: My ideal 2015 offseason - your thoughts?  (Read 1130 times)

My ideal 2015 offseason - your thoughts?
« on: December 21, 2014, 05:31:13 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25
Let me preface this saying I love Rondo - he is the best passer in the last 20 years and would love to see a team built around his unique talent. That being said...

I think Danny has figured out this offseason is going crazy, with the cap exploding teams will have very little leverage in keeping their "own" players, which means that we cannot count on Rondo or JG (or even Wright) sticking around unless we want to pay top dollar. If that is the case, he is going to deal every expiring contract on the team (even if its only for a 2nd round pick). Then things get interesting. Here are a bunch of realistic (in my opinion) players we could pick up who would seriously improve our team:

Centers:
Wright and Zeller are both great subs, but not championship starting caliber centers. We could target:
Asik or Hibbert - two of the top 5 defensive centers in the league.

Wing:
Jimmy Butler - can play 2/3. Top 5 defender. Iron man. Young with good offense which could be great.
Kawhi Leonard - maybe best defensive wing in game, Spurs thrilled to max him out...
Danny Green - could be had, upgrades our shooting and solid defender

PG:
If Smart is not the answer (and we have more than half a season to evaluate), or he is just not there YET.... we could go after:
Dragic - near elite passing, huge upgrade in shooting
Beverly - tough as nails defender. competent offensive player.

My Ideal Summer:
Sign Asik for $14M/yr
Sign Butler for max or near max
Sign beverly for 5Mil/Yr
Bring back PP for hometown final run

Lineup will look sometihng like:

PG: Smart / Beverly
SG: Bradley / Butler / Young
SF: Butler / PP / Young /
PF: Sully / Oly
C: Asik / Zeller

Should be top 5 defense, with some very good offense mixed in

Re: My ideal 2015 offseason - your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 08:14:21 AM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
I don't like butler as our best scorer, but I do like the idea of bringing him in, he has said though he wants to be back in Chicago... But everyone says that. If Danny offered him max, idk how happy we'd be. But say we did, we do have 3 great defenders. I would rather draft WCS then sign Asik tbh, pelicans by far have a better starting 5 then the celtics and I don't think asik is making a big difference over there that we'd need from asik if we'd pay him.

Draft WCS
Start Kelly

Smart
Bradley
Butler
Kelly
WCS

Wed probably make the playoffs..but we'd be hoping that butler or smart or Kelly become a superstar that could carry a team offensively...

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 09:02:29 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I agree that butler is looking like an All Star out there. I'm thinking that he is going max salary - he's a top 3 player on a championship team and has potential to move up another level- his jumpshot has improved so much he's automatic from 10-15 feet.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 09:19:53 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
I want us to win the lottery and use the pick to bring Anthony Davis to Boston. Not even realistic, but what is to dream?
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 09:26:00 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25
I don't like butler as our best scorer, but I do like the idea of bringing him in, he has said though he wants to be back in Chicago... But everyone says that. If Danny offered him max, idk how happy we'd be. But say we did, we do have 3 great defenders. I would rather draft WCS then sign Asik tbh, pelicans by far have a better starting 5 then the celtics and I don't think asik is making a big difference over there that we'd need from asik if we'd pay him.

Draft WCS
Start Kelly

Smart
Bradley
Butler
Kelly
WCS

Wed probably make the playoffs..but we'd be hoping that butler or smart or Kelly become a superstar that could carry a team offensively...

First, I think our team is being built around the Spurs model - i.e. no one dominant scorer. We have been best this year when we had 5-6 players in double figures.

Second, I think our team identity should be all about the D. A team with a Smart / Bradley / Butler back court and a strong shot post presence is a terror to contend with.

Third, people don't get how [dang] effective Asik is. He does not block a lot of shots, but he is huge and is one of the best rebounders in the game. I see WCS as a good prospect, but years away from being our starting center.

My point is - there is a lot of free talent looking for a paycheck this summer. We should have tons of cap. We go out and shop for the best players and overpay a little if needed. We can afford it. We then use our Gazillion draft picks to fill up our roster for nearly free.