Author Topic: Celtics (10-14) at Heat (12-15) Game #25 12/21/14  (Read 57316 times)

Re: Celtics (10-14) at Heat (12-15) Game #25 12/21/14
« Reply #330 on: December 21, 2014, 09:02:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Welp...it is what it is .they are young rookies .save Bass and Green

When you play all the rookies most of the game ...they are going to  be inconsistent a lot.

I think eventually the ll put together some more nice games ....Zeller and Kelly seem to be steadily improving .

Smart is just getting his NBA feet wet ....not an easy start with Rondo leaving....and two injuries ....he may not be 100 % quite yet and he needs tons of minutes .

Patience is going to be the order of thew day ......it's squarely in DAs corner to replenish the talent....still have Wallace mucking up the rebuild.....

I think there is pressure on ET and Bradley too.....a lot.....there is no more Rondo , KG or star to fall back on.

A lot of potiental here .....just needing tons of playing time to develop .  Losing Rondo was a step backwards ....he was already trained

« Reply #331 on: December 21, 2014, 09:04:34 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Cold night.   22 ast despite missing so many easy shots.   

I don't find it acceptable that coach is ok with Smart jacking up 3's.

He wasn't an exclusive 3pt shooter in college was he?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #332 on: December 21, 2014, 09:06:02 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Marcus Smart is shooting under 35% FG% and under 30% 3PT%.

All of his shots tonight were 3 pointers. On the season, 2/3rds of his shots are 3s.

I'm concerned he can't beat his man off the dribble at this level. And if that's true, his long term value is dramatically reduced.

Me too

Has he tried to get past his man? I just think the staff is telling him to shoot the threes.

he tried a couple times in the Minny game and turned the ball over a couple times.
Greg

« Reply #333 on: December 21, 2014, 09:11:59 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44

As I and others have wondered, can he even drive the lane at this level? We might have to throw the Tony Allen comparison out, let alone think of him as a PG. That jacked up howitzer 3 might be his only weapon. Maybe he's still hurt.

The few times this year he's driven has been ok, no worse than his 3 point shot.  I think its the gameplan to jack up 3's.   Like Kg and Doc with those long 2's.

Using plan b occasionally won't hurt.   Pump fake and drive.   

« Reply #334 on: December 21, 2014, 09:14:09 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Marcus Smart is shooting under 35% FG% and under 30% 3PT%.

All of his shots tonight were 3 pointers. On the season, 2/3rds of his shots are 3s.

I'm concerned he can't beat his man off the dribble at this level. And if that's true, his long term value is dramatically reduced.

Me too

Ditto.

« Reply #335 on: December 21, 2014, 09:17:04 PM »

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12
Big difference in this team when someone actually plays team defense against them.  Way too many TO's, passes getting deflected, timing getting thrown off etc.  Also no one could make a basket during stretches where Miami was missing. And for what it's worth Bradley really stunk tonight.

Honestly the whole team played bad minus Zeller and Olynyk.   

« Reply #336 on: December 21, 2014, 09:17:39 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
just joining in the thread, missed the game but saw the box score.

disappointing, but some good signs by the front line of zeller and olly.

how did wright look?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #337 on: December 21, 2014, 09:18:05 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford

Stevens is happy with Pressey jacking up 3's.  I'm surprised Zeller hasn't started shooting them.

A loss like this is frustrating but a stretch of winning 3 out of 4 is good for this team.  They are too young and lack elite talent.  I just wish I could be sure our genius coach has a handle on things like defense and game-management at this level.

Mike

Mixed bag for me.   Made some good decisions, some bad ones.   Is it the players,  coach, inexperience?  Bit of everything.

« Reply #338 on: December 21, 2014, 09:21:50 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

As I and others have wondered, can he even drive the lane at this level? We might have to throw the Tony Allen comparison out, let alone think of him as a PG. That jacked up howitzer 3 might be his only weapon. Maybe he's still hurt.

The few times this year he's driven has been ok, no worse than his 3 point shot.  I think its the gameplan to jack up 3's.   Like Kg and Doc with those long 2's.

1). Howitzers are much more accurate than Smart's jumper, and 2). At least KG almost never missed a midrange shot, along with Bass.  I don't feel like mentioning that knucklehead Davis right now, lol, so that's why he isn't in that list.

« Reply #339 on: December 21, 2014, 09:24:41 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Not at all.  Smart used his bullish strength and effort to get to the rim a lot.  He was pretty fearless going at the rim against larger players.  I watch a lot of big12 basketball, and at OKState he had the quickness and strength to overpower a defense and get into the lane.

He wasn't a great outside shooter in college, but at times he could get super streaky hot from outside.  He had stretches of time where he couldn't hit anything from deep and then when it was needed he could hit the timely 3 ball.  If he was hot, he kept on shooting as well.  Kind of what we have already seen from him this year.

I think he is going to need to study and work on his dribble drives a bit more to try and offset the obvious increase in size and ability from nba level def.  Probably needs to improve his ball handling a bit too.  I think he can do it.  It was always just going to be a hard transition for him on offense because in college he was just plain stronger than everyone he played against, even most of the post players.  That same advantage doesn't exist in the nba.

The good thing about him is he already has nba ready def skills, and a real knack for the ball and making things happen.

I am still not sure if he is an NBA point guard though.  He will obviously get his chance to try.  I mean it can't turn out any worse than when we tried to make Avery a point guard.

« Reply #340 on: December 21, 2014, 09:28:43 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
just joining in the thread, missed the game but saw the box score.

disappointing, but some good signs by the front line of zeller and olly.

how did wright look?
I didn't catch all of his minutes but from what I saw he was OK.  He hit a nice little jump hook in traffic and looked active, at least to me, defensively.  It's tough joining a team on the fly like this and figuring out not only the defensive rotations but also where you're supposed to go on offense.  Looks to me like they gave him Bass's minutes, which is interesting.

« Reply #341 on: December 21, 2014, 09:30:59 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Hey, come on, guys - all is not lost - the 76ers won 96-88 over Orlando, so everyone gets half off their pizza tomorrow! ;) ;D ::)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 10:25:26 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #342 on: December 21, 2014, 09:43:36 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Not at all.  Smart used his bullish strength and effort to get to the rim a lot.  He was pretty fearless going at the rim against larger players.  I watch a lot of big12 basketball, and at OKState he had the quickness and strength to overpower a defense and get into the lane.

He wasn't a great outside shooter in college, but at times he could get super streaky hot from outside.  He had stretches of time where he couldn't hit anything from deep and then when it was needed he could hit the timely 3 ball.  If he was hot, he kept on shooting as well.  Kind of what we have already seen from him this year.

I think he is going to need to study and work on his dribble drives a bit more to try and offset the obvious increase in size and ability from nba level def.  Probably needs to improve his ball handling a bit too.  I think he can do it.  It was always just going to be a hard transition for him on offense because in college he was just plain stronger than everyone he played against, even most of the post players.  That same advantage doesn't exist in the nba.

The good thing about him is he already has nba ready def skills, and a real knack for the ball and making things happen.

I am still not sure if he is an NBA point guard though.  He will obviously get his chance to try.  I mean it can't turn out any worse than when we tried to make Avery a point guard.

I don't see Smart as a NBA point guard.  I'd rather see them focus on his shooting and shot selection so he can supplant Bradley as the starting SG. 

« Reply #343 on: December 21, 2014, 09:56:20 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford

1). Howitzers are much more accurate than Smart's jumper, and 2). At least KG almost never missed a midrange shot, along with Bass.  I don't feel like mentioning that knucklehead Davis right now, lol, so that's why he isn't in that list.

In  the final few years there were nights he bricked jumpshot after jumpshot with no alternative gameplan.  I hate seeing players fall in love with the jumpshot.

« Reply #344 on: December 21, 2014, 10:16:56 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

In  the final few years there were nights he bricked jumpshot after jumpshot with no alternative gameplan.  I hate seeing players fall in love with the jumpshot.

Hey, I completely agree, but those games were few and far between, iirc, and that shot was almost as automatic for him (and Bass) as a dunk.  Plus, taking those shots allowed him to save his body for the postseason, so, even though I would have preferred him to get on the box, as long as he played down there at playoff time (which he did), I was more than willing to live with it.