Author Topic: RONDO first game with Dallas about to Start  (Read 44817 times)

Re: RONDO first game with Dallas about to Start
« Reply #270 on: December 21, 2014, 02:52:27 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
BLINK you will at all cost protect Rondo. Even after he is traded to another team. 

But he quit on the team.  Maybe some of it had to do with Danny and his trade threats but 

the bottom line is he quit.   Well he, Well he etc. That's all you say.  And you get excited about

how good he is with the Mavs tonight.  The Spurs 2nd unit is so good etc.

I hope to hear same kind of enthusiasm for the new Celtics lineup moving fwd also.

And YOU, lol ;D, continue to bash him at all costs even when he's no longer here. ::) ;D Unbelievable.  Can we please just stop all of this?  I'd hate to give you any ideas, lol ;D, but isn't there someone else you can pick on?

I'm not like you and pick my nose all night. jk

The hate is warranted tonight.  I was waiting game after game to see him backpeddle, raise his arms to contain the drive.  But saw him do it in another uniform.

Lol, I'll give you a TP for that one that certainly came out of nowhere. ;D

« Reply #271 on: December 21, 2014, 02:58:59 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
BLINK you will at all cost protect Rondo. Even after he is traded to another team. 

But he quit on the Celts.  Maybe some of it had to do with Danny and his trade threats but 

the bottom line is he quit.   Well he, Well he etc. That's all you say.  And you get excited about

how good he is with the Mavs tonight.  The Spurs 2nd unit is so good etc.

I hope to hear same kind of enthusiasm for the new Celtics lineup moving fwd also.

You are delusional.  I am not even mad, I am just amazed.  Just try to get your 'quotes' cough*lies*cough right next time you are trying to make a point.  And for the love of god stop trying to judge other people's level of fandom.  No one has to prove that they are a C's fan to you or anyone else on this site. 

I really wish there was an 'ignore user' function on this forum.

“For me, being a competitor, I felt like we put five guys out there who played extremely hard, but I didn’t feel like we were going to win many games. That’s just how my mentality’s been since I’ve been in the league. Fortunate enough to play with future Hall of Famers and great teams and coach with Doc Rivers, so to get back to that situation, being able to play with future Hall of Famers, great coach, and a team that’s ready to contend for a title, I’m fired up. I’m ready to go.”

With Doc Rivers.   Did he list Brad Stevens??

I don't think he was trying to diss Stevens on purpose or maybe he was.

It's the same thing about

"I've been here 24 hours & I've probably practiced more in 24 hours than I have all season."

Maybe he didn't mean it that he did not practice at his best as a Celtic this season, but he gives off the wrong impression.  And tonight by him playing the best defense of the season,  I do believe he practiced more in 24 hours than he has all season

rondo does not look sad he is no longer a Celtic. Sounds like all he cares about is winning a ring

Now you're just being a hater.  :-*

no i'm not. It's just the truth.    Look at the guy.

Reporter: How can you describe your time as a Celtic??
Rondo: Good......... i'm excited to play with Dirk, Monta, etc.  I want another parade

Seriously what a guy.  Thats the way he played on the court for us also.

Naw i'm not going to stand and clap Jan 2nd.

Kinda stinks that Rondo isn't giving props to Boston. KG was gushing over the team during press conferences.

Man, I wonder how hard Smart is going to D Rondo when they come to town? Should be interesting.

Well since what triboy wrote wasn't what was said in the press conference I am not surprised you are confused.  Rondo was extremely classy about his time with the C's. He thanked the fans and the city and DA.  I don't know how anyone could interpret that is not giving props to the Cs.  But whatever...

Rondo: "Obviously I'm very excited to be here. Coming from a great situation in Boston, I'm very thankful for all the things they did for me and the fan base. But I'm ready to start a new chapter here with the Dallas Mavericks and I'm very excited to be here."

"The fans there are probably the best fans I've ever played for."

He also talked about how much he respected Danny Ainge.

« Reply #272 on: December 21, 2014, 03:44:20 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Saw highlights on NBA TV.

Great game, DAL, versus a STILL VERY GOOD Spurs team. Even though they sat their top 4 players the Spurs have proven to still be a very good team.

And the Rajon Rondo era starts...great start, too - I may add.

Monta had how many points, lol?

Tyson had some open looks...a dunk...no lobs, YET ;D

Dirk hasn't even gotten started, YET.

I picked DAL as my darkhorse team WAY before the heist by Cuban. And my choice for the West still hasn't changed, but has been STRENGTHENED by the arrival of The General.

Get em' DAL!

« Reply #273 on: December 21, 2014, 05:29:29 AM »

Offline Greenpoison

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Man, LarBrd33 is desperately trying to convince himself and everyone else that Rondo is terrible. I don't think any of us are buying your constant grasping at straws. He'll do great in Dallas and you can sit here assuring yourself that YOU must be right.

« Reply #274 on: December 21, 2014, 05:33:05 AM »

Offline Greenpoison

• Xavier Tillman
Rondo quit on the Celts.   Has anyone seen him play the way he has as a Celtic this past season? 

His man on man D is good tonight.  His knee is fine

Oh can it already, sheesh. Do you live for this?

« Reply #275 on: December 21, 2014, 05:42:58 AM »

Offline Greenpoison

• Xavier Tillman
I don't agree that the Mavs will integrate Rondo instantly and be clicking but then suddenly crash down to earth.  I am not sure where that thought comes from?  He doesn't even know the offense or players tend yet.  I think it will take a few months before they find the right balance of everything.  By that point they will have signed another big to replace Wright and the team will be better adjusted.

It is interesting how many pages this thread went tonight and everyones responses.  Rondo is literally in a no win situation with some of you.  If he plays well, it is 'why wasn't he playing like this when he was here?'  If he plays poorly, 'see he will never be as good as 2010-2012 the last time he ever played def and was worth a crap'.  Funny how that works.

That's just how some people are here. No matter what happened, they'd hate him for something.

Did Rondo want out? Did he coast his final year? I don't know, but what I do know is if he was unhappy here, he did his post to not show it. He very well could've made it a public spectacle ala Dwight and Melo, but he didn't.

Basically you are calling him fake then.   Which is even worse

He also said in the Dallas press conference that he tried and played hard everyday as a Celtic this past season.  I mean what a liar

When i see him let guys by him repeatedly and tonight he backpeddles raises his arms to contain the drive, it makes me angry.

I been telling you guys that this is the kind of "detail" he is not doing.  Why couldn't he do it? Why couldn't he try harder?

Just when i didn't want to care about this Rondo fiasco anymore, he does things that makes me go "unbelievable".   

Triboy, why oh why did you even watch the Dallas game then? Just another Rondo troll...

« Reply #276 on: December 21, 2014, 07:23:41 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, so far, they appear to be ecstatic about #9:

With unique players like this, you’ve got to come up with different ideas,” Carlisle said in his office after the game. “He’s just one of those unique guys that operate well in a crowd. And we were struggling. We weren’t hitting outside shots, and they were in a zone. It was something we talked about at halftime, and we went to it pretty quickly, and some good things happened.

“This is one of the unique elements of his game. He’s a very creative player. Sometimes you’ve got to come up with creative ways of using a guy like that that are a little out of the box
.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4704145/ellis-stars-in-rondos-dallas-debut

Western Conference has the most competitive teams AND PGs right now.

I can't wait to see Rajon Rondo, Dirk, Monta, Chandler, Tyson & Co. climb up the Western Conf rankings.

« Reply #277 on: December 21, 2014, 10:08:56 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Is Monta/Rondo the fastest backcourt in the league?  Teams are gonna have a hell of a time getting back on D.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #278 on: December 21, 2014, 11:38:31 AM »

Offline Blaze4G

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
Is Monta/Rondo the fastest backcourt in the league?  Teams are gonna have a hell of a time getting back on D.

Now that I think about it you might be right. I cant think of any west backcourt that comes close to their combined speed.  :o

« Reply #279 on: December 21, 2014, 11:42:49 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
All the Rondo hate (Tanguay's Army) reminds me of all the Lebron hate...  ::) 

Both are championship-caliber players, both HOF bound, not to mention every great player would love to play with either of them.  Remember: Great players need to play with great players to be truly great.

Rondo looking a bit nervous in first minutes, to be expected, but had a few great high bball IQ plays.

Rondo is HOF bound?

My bad, FUTURE Hall of Fame inductees... (as long as RR stays healthy for another 5 years or so

No, it was a legitimate question. Has he done enough to be considered that right now?

4 All Stars, 4 All Defensive Teams, 1 All NBA, led the league in Assists (2), led the league in Steals (1).

I'd say he would need a little bit more in that resume'.

You'd also have to add in his postseason play.

« Reply #280 on: December 21, 2014, 12:15:25 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Add JJ Barrea to that mix and you have even more speed!!!

« Reply #281 on: December 21, 2014, 12:19:34 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
I don't know if Rondo is saying some stuff on purpose to stick to the Celts , but he is not being "smart" with his words as of late

"I'm excited to play with great players and a great coach again (referring to Rivers)"

"I've been here 24 hours & I've probably practiced more in 24 hours than I have all season."

Are you paraphrasing that first quote?  The quote I read is below and paints a different picture than you are trying to portray. 

"It was very challenging these last couple years," Rondo said. "I've been fortunate enough to play for future Hall of Famers and great teams and a great coach in Doc Rivers. And to get back to that situation and be able to play with future Hall of Famers and a great coach and a team that's ready to contend for a title, I'm fired up. I'm ready to go."

No he is not paraphrasing, he is being intentionally disingenuous to try and make his "point".

The guy is absolutely pathetic.

« Reply #282 on: December 21, 2014, 12:20:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Add JJ Barrea to that mix and you have even more speed!!!

They are also one of the smallest backcourt in the league.

« Reply #283 on: December 21, 2014, 01:57:35 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
LarBrd33 the difference is Boston played a terrible team while Dallas played the defending champions..
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.  Dallas just played the Spurs bench a night after the Spurs played an overtime game...

And Dallas looked worse than they normally do in spite of this.  They average 110 points on 48% shooting... tonight they put up 99 points on 43% shooting despite the arrival of Rondo and the fact they were playing against the Spurs D-Team.

Again... so far Boston looks better and the Mavs look worse.  That could change, of course.

you're such a Rondo hater it is unbearable! I am positive the Spurs bench would trash the Wolves squad that played against the Celtics 9 out of 10 times. You have a new player playing his first game for a new team at the PG position which is where essentially all plays start when the shot clock begins counting down and you expect what? That if Mavericks didn't score 150 points tonight then Mavericks are worse with Rondo?

OBVIOUSLY you did not watch the game or you had blinders on. Dirk was missing wide open shots. You talk about spacing, many of the missed shots Dirk got were wide open looks or shots he usually make. Parsons were also missing a few he usually makes. The refs were making many BS calls for the spurs.

I bet you are going to ignore that Rondo had the highest +/- for the Mavericks and say "oh you don't believe in +/-".

You are saying Mavericks looks worse however it could change. Come on! One game? wait a few weeks before making any statements which team looks better or worse.

I bet if Mavericks had beaten Spurs by 50 points tonight you would have discredited Rondo and said something like "it was Ellis or Parsons or Dirk why they won by that much".

Keep Hating.
I'm not hating.  i watched the game.  I don't think the Mavs are dramatically improved.  I don't think the Celtics are dramatically worse.  I'll miss watching Black White Chocolate, but I realize that his impact on the game is overstated.

So you are judging from ONE ONE ONE ONE ONE ONE game that the Mavs are not dramatically improved. You seem to forget that Mavericks had a new player in their starting 5 who they never played with before. While Celtics had players in their starting line up that are all familiar with each other, of course the Celtics are not going to look worse.....yet.

I reiterate, you are judging from ONE game. WOW.

With your methodology I guess I can do a survey and ask ONE person what they think about X and then assume that's how everyone think about X.
Uh... im not judging anything from ONE game.  What we know about Dallas is pretty established.  What we know about Rondo is pretty established. 

If you added Rondo to a stagnant team of sharp shooters who was incapable of creating their own offense, I could see Rondo making a significant impact to that team by using his skill-set to generate scoring opportunities...   Dallas isn't that team.  Dallas is a well-polished offense with beautiful ball movement, excellent spacing and a multitude of scoring opportunities.  They had the best offense in the league prior to the move.   Adding Rondo will generate some excitement for them ... but I don't see how adding one of the league's weakest offensive players to the league's most efficient offense will allow them to suddenly become champions.  They will probably be a solid team either way, but I think we will see minimal improvement.

Potential for major improvement:  Minimal
Potential for problems:  Depends how Rondo impacts the spacing and how Monta Ellis and Rondo co-exist.

" Dallas is a well-polished offense with beautiful ball movement, excellent spacing and a multitude of scoring opportunities.  They had the best offense in the league prior to the move".

So if this statement you made is true, why is it they have lost against Spurs, Grizzlies, Warriors, Suns, Rockets and Blazers? They are capable of creating their own offense and so polished yet has been losing against every major West team. So by your thinking I guess they will even lose by a bigger margin against these teams or lose by roughly the same.

Okay then.
Best offense in the league... they give up the 7th most points in the league. 

The hope for them is that Rondo helps their defense.  That might be true.  But I think he hurts their offense.

Why don't you actually look at the box score of those specific games.  The Dallas offense has been very mediocre against the better teams in the league.
Neat... I'm anxiously awaiting to see the new-look mavs play against some of those teams.  The Mavs offense tonight looked a little rough against Boris Diaw, Aron Baynes, Kyle Anderson, Cory Joseph and Marco Bellinelli.  Had it not been for Monta Ellis going off with 38 points, they would have lost. 

Wild guess that most teams in this league play worse against the top teams in the league.  Seems to be logical to me.  That doesn't change the fact that the Mavs have had the best offense in the league and just introduced a pretty major element that could hurt them.

I will remain curious to see how ball-dominating Ellis will co-exist if the Spurs give the keys to Rondo. 

I will remain curious to see how ball-dominating Rondo will survive if he's forced to adapt to a free-flowing share-the-ball offense.  It didn't work in Boston.  Not sure why it will work in Dallas.

I think you are over-focusing on two things:  stats and offense.  Plenty of people have said
it will be hard for the Mavs offense to get any better than it's been.  That shouldn't be a knock
on Rondo, but a testament to the Mav's offense.  The problem is it's the regular season now, and early in the regular season is the part of the year when offenses face the least defense.  As defenses tighten in the latter part of the season and especially the playoffs, good defense starts to win the day, as well as capable half court offense.  Why worry about Rondo's effect on early season Mav's offense, when all that matters is the post-season and the style of play that moves you to the next round?  The Mav's offense will be fine with Rondo.  It can probably even afford to be slightly worse, a trend that would be expected anyway given what I just said about the arc of defense during an NBA season.  Rondo's main contribution will come from his ability to disrupt, his IQ, his relentless playoff style, etc...You just ignore all of that it seems.  The only thing that could stop him from returning to playoff dominance is a less than solid knee.

Which brings me to why I think it was dumb of certain Celtic fans to expect Rondo to play at full tilt with this Celtic team.  If he had stayed with the Celtics I would have hoped he'd be the anti-Rose, play smart and save his knee for when the Celtics were relevant again.  If I were Dallas I'd keep his minutes low for a while, especially if he's playing full tilt on his new knee.

« Reply #284 on: December 21, 2014, 01:58:05 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Triboy is singlehandedly runing this forum, didn't know trolls were allowed to spew a bunch of nonsense  :-X
now to be fair, he's ruined more than just this forum with anti-Rondo spew.   ;)

All the things he's been saying can't do or couldn't do anymore were hard to continue to rant about after his quality of play for Dallas. 

Rondo was by no means perfect in his time here but he didn't deserve the level of venom/hatred a select handful of people would spew about him on a daily basis.

hoping he lights up every other team except the C's during the remainder of the season and the playoffs just to shut the naysayers up (not that will ever be possible)