Author Topic: RONDO first game with Dallas about to Start  (Read 44814 times)

Re: RONDO first game with Dallas about to Start
« Reply #225 on: December 21, 2014, 12:18:01 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

Have you ever heard Duncan or Dirk even being in a rumour for being traded? HA, I think not.

[/quote]
Those two are all time greats AND they are big men

If Danny had either one of those for their full career, you wouldn't hear trade rumors

(Until now since they are old)  ;D
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #226 on: December 21, 2014, 12:18:06 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't agree that the Mavs will integrate Rondo instantly and be clicking but then suddenly crash down to earth.  I am not sure where that thought comes from?  He doesn't even know the offense or players tend yet.  I think it will take a few months before they find the right balance of everything.  By that point they will have signed another big to replace Wright and the team will be better adjusted.

It is interesting how many pages this thread went tonight and everyones responses.  Rondo is literally in a no win situation with some of you.  If he plays well, it is 'why wasn't he playing like this when he was here?'  If he plays poorly, 'see he will never be as good as 2010-2012 the last time he ever played def and was worth a crap'.  Funny how that works.

That's just how some people are here. No matter what happened, they'd hate him for something.

Did Rondo want out? Did he coast his final year? I don't know, but what I do know is if he was unhappy here, he did his post to not show it. He very well could've made it a public spectacle ala Dwight and Melo, but he didn't.

Basically you are calling him fake then.   Which is even worse

He also said in the Dallas press conference that he tried and played hard everyday as a Celtic this past season.  I mean what a liar

When i see him let guys by him repeatedly and tonight he backpeddles raises his arms to contain the drive, it makes me angry.

I been telling you guys that this is the kind of "detail" he is not doing.  Why couldn't he do it? Why couldn't he try harder?

Just when i didn't want to care about this Rondo fiasco anymore, he does things that makes me go "unbelievable".   

And if he even made a peep about wanting a trade, you'd probably be the first one here saying how much of a brat he is. You're exactly the type of poster I'm talking about, no matter what way this played out, you'd find something to hate.

Rondo doesn't publicly demand trade = he's fake

Rondo publicly demands trade = he's a jerk

Rondo does well in Dallas = he quit on C's

Rondo doesn't do well in Dallas = he's washed up

Did I cover all the bases?
X2. When someone dislikes somebody in life or a NBA player in this case, they try to find every means to discredit them.

I will agree Rondo seem to have played harder tonight. Who wouldn't!? On the first day of a new job aren't you going to try and put in your all? Especially when you know that you actually have a great shot at a bonus (In this case an NBA Championship)?

That's sad.  You take care of the team that drafted you, that you been with 9 years first . That's what i would do.  That's what Duncan , Dirk have done.   

Guys like Lebron are Nba championship chasing Gold Diggers
We always knew Ainge was shopping Rondo for years (I don't blame him, if we can upgrade why not). However if you had a boss, first person to hire you after finishing College and each year you know he has been interviewing other persons to take your job, how would you feel?

Have you ever heard Duncan or Dirk even being in a rumour for being traded? HA, I think not.

You might come back and say Ainge has a right, it is a business so Rondo should not be offended or care if he is being shopped. Oh so Rondo should be loyal to the Celtics when Ainge has always been shopping him? I thought loyalty went both ways (Spurs and Duncan, Mavs and Dirk).

Rondo should of proved to Ainge that he made a mistake in trying to trade him before. This season was his chance to do this. He was given the title of "captain" etc.  Nobody was expecting him to score 30 a game, 15 assists, 10 rebounds on a nightly basis.    But expecting the best effort out of him , game in and game out can't be asking too much.

I would of not cared if he didn't get his triple doubles as long as he tried. Backpeddled , raised his arms to contain the drive.    "winning" plays, he showed on several occasions tonight and in the past

maybe your right though and the real devil in all of this is Danny. 

« Reply #227 on: December 21, 2014, 12:19:38 AM »

Offline Blaze4G

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
LarBrd33 the difference is Boston played a terrible team while Dallas played the defending champions..
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.  Dallas just played the Spurs bench a night after the Spurs played an overtime game...

And Dallas looked worse than they normally do in spite of this.  They average 110 points on 48% shooting... tonight they put up 99 points on 43% shooting despite the arrival of Rondo and the fact they were playing against the Spurs D-Team.

Again... so far Boston looks better and the Mavs look worse.  That could change, of course.

you're such a Rondo hater it is unbearable! I am positive the Spurs bench would trash the Wolves squad that played against the Celtics 9 out of 10 times. You have a new player playing his first game for a new team at the PG position which is where essentially all plays start when the shot clock begins counting down and you expect what? That if Mavericks didn't score 150 points tonight then Mavericks are worse with Rondo?

OBVIOUSLY you did not watch the game or you had blinders on. Dirk was missing wide open shots. You talk about spacing, many of the missed shots Dirk got were wide open looks or shots he usually make. Parsons were also missing a few he usually makes. The refs were making many BS calls for the spurs.

I bet you are going to ignore that Rondo had the highest +/- for the Mavericks and say "oh you don't believe in +/-".

You are saying Mavericks looks worse however it could change. Come on! One game? wait a few weeks before making any statements which team looks better or worse.

I bet if Mavericks had beaten Spurs by 50 points tonight you would have discredited Rondo and said something like "it was Ellis or Parsons or Dirk why they won by that much".

Keep Hating.
I'm not hating.  i watched the game.  I don't think the Mavs are dramatically improved.  I don't think the Celtics are dramatically worse.  I'll miss watching Black White Chocolate, but I realize that his impact on the game is overstated.

So you are judging from ONE ONE ONE ONE ONE ONE game that the Mavs are not dramatically improved. You seem to forget that Mavericks had a new player in their starting 5 who they never played with before. While Celtics had players in their starting line up that are all familiar with each other, of course the Celtics are not going to look worse.....yet.

I reiterate, you are judging from ONE game. WOW.

With your methodology I guess I can do a survey and ask ONE person what they think about X and then assume that's how everyone think about X.
Uh... im not judging anything from ONE game.  What we know about Dallas is pretty established.  What we know about Rondo is pretty established. 

If you added Rondo to a stagnant team of sharp shooters who was incapable of creating their own offense, I could see Rondo making a significant impact to that team by using his skill-set to generate scoring opportunities...   Dallas isn't that team.  Dallas is a well-polished offense with beautiful ball movement, excellent spacing and a multitude of scoring opportunities.  They had the best offense in the league prior to the move.   Adding Rondo will generate some excitement for them ... but I don't see how adding one of the league's weakest offensive players to the league's most efficient offense will allow them to suddenly become champions.  They will probably be a solid team either way, but I think we will see minimal improvement.

Potential for major improvement:  Minimal
Potential for problems:  Depends how Rondo impacts the spacing and how Monta Ellis and Rondo co-exist.

" Dallas is a well-polished offense with beautiful ball movement, excellent spacing and a multitude of scoring opportunities.  They had the best offense in the league prior to the move".

So if this statement you made is true, why is it they have lost against Spurs, Grizzlies, Warriors, Suns, Rockets and Blazers? They are capable of creating their own offense and so polished yet has been losing against every major West team. So by your thinking I guess they will even lose by a bigger margin against these teams or lose by roughly the same.

Okay then.
Best offense in the league... they give up the 7th most points in the league. 

The hope for them is that Rondo helps their defense.  That might be true.  But I think he hurts their offense.

He hurts their offense because Jameer Nelson was averaging 20 points a game right? Please do keep in mind that Jameer Nelson was averaging 7.3 points per game, less than rondo. So Nelson was such a lethal threat that Rondo is going to hurt their spacing/ offense. Seems legit.

My personal belief is that Rondo will regain his jumper from 2010 - 2012 since defenders will be  slacking off him. While in boston the past 2 years, there were no players on the Celtics that required double team to give Rondo wide open looks. However on the Mavericks he should get a bunch when Dirk or parsons gets doubled. Do you disagree?
Hence he won't hurt them on offense if this happens.

« Reply #228 on: December 21, 2014, 12:21:49 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
LarBrd33 the difference is Boston played a terrible team while Dallas played the defending champions..
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.  Dallas just played the Spurs bench a night after the Spurs played an overtime game...

And Dallas looked worse than they normally do in spite of this.  They average 110 points on 48% shooting... tonight they put up 99 points on 43% shooting despite the arrival of Rondo and the fact they were playing against the Spurs D-Team.

Again... so far Boston looks better and the Mavs look worse.  That could change, of course.

you're such a Rondo hater it is unbearable! I am positive the Spurs bench would trash the Wolves squad that played against the Celtics 9 out of 10 times. You have a new player playing his first game for a new team at the PG position which is where essentially all plays start when the shot clock begins counting down and you expect what? That if Mavericks didn't score 150 points tonight then Mavericks are worse with Rondo?

OBVIOUSLY you did not watch the game or you had blinders on. Dirk was missing wide open shots. You talk about spacing, many of the missed shots Dirk got were wide open looks or shots he usually make. Parsons were also missing a few he usually makes. The refs were making many BS calls for the spurs.

I bet you are going to ignore that Rondo had the highest +/- for the Mavericks and say "oh you don't believe in +/-".

You are saying Mavericks looks worse however it could change. Come on! One game? wait a few weeks before making any statements which team looks better or worse.

I bet if Mavericks had beaten Spurs by 50 points tonight you would have discredited Rondo and said something like "it was Ellis or Parsons or Dirk why they won by that much".

Keep Hating.
I'm not hating.  i watched the game.  I don't think the Mavs are dramatically improved.  I don't think the Celtics are dramatically worse.  I'll miss watching Black White Chocolate, but I realize that his impact on the game is overstated.

So you are judging from ONE ONE ONE ONE ONE ONE game that the Mavs are not dramatically improved. You seem to forget that Mavericks had a new player in their starting 5 who they never played with before. While Celtics had players in their starting line up that are all familiar with each other, of course the Celtics are not going to look worse.....yet.

With your methodology I guess I can do a survey and ask ONE person what they think about X and then assume that's how everyone think about X.
Uh... im not judging anything from ONE game.  What we know about Dallas is pretty established.  What we know about Rondo is pretty established. 

If you added Rondo to a stagnant team of sharp shooters who was incapable of creating their own offense, I could see Rondo making a significant impact to that team by using his skill-set to generate scoring opportunities...   Dallas isn't that team.  Dallas is a well-polished offense with beautiful ball movement, excellent spacing and a multitude of scoring opportunities.  They had the best offense in the league prior to the move.   Adding Rondo will generate some excitement for them ... but I don't see how adding one of the league's weakest offensive players to the league's most efficient offense will allow them to suddenly become champions.  They will probably be a solid team either way, but I think we will see minimal improvement.

Potential for problems:  Depends how Rondo impacts the spacing and how Monta Ellis and Rondo co-exist.

" Dallas is a well-polished offense with beautiful ball movement, excellent spacing and a multitude of scoring opportunities.  They had the best offense in the league prior to the move".

So if this statement you made is true, why is it they have lost against Spurs, Grizzlies, Warriors, Suns, Rockets and Blazers? They are capable of creating their own offense and so polished yet has been losing against every major West team. So by your thinking I guess they will even lose by a bigger margin against these teams or lose by roughly the same.

Okay then.

The hope for them is that Rondo helps their defense.  That might be true.  But I think he hurts their offense.

He hurts their offense because Jameer Nelson was averaging 20 points a game right? Please do keep in mind that Jameer Nelson was averaging 7.3 points per game, less than rondo. So Nelson was such a lethal threat that Rondo is going to hurt their spacing/ offense. Seems legit.

My personal belief is that Rondo will regain his jumper from 2010 - 2012 since defenders will be  slacking off him. While in boston the past 2 years, there were no players on the Celtics that required double team to give Rondo wide open looks. However on the Mavericks he should get a bunch when Dirk or parsons gets doubled. Do you disagree?
Hence he won't hurt them on offense if this happens.

Well... Nelson was shooting 37% from three and 88% from the line.  He's at least someone you have to guard around the arc.  He's someone you have to be careful about fouling late in games.

Rondo is unquestionably a better player than Nelson.  Don't get me wrong.  Hopefully you understand the points I'm making here.  It's not a question of whether or not Rondo is a talent.. he is.  It's about how he fits with an offense built around ball movement.  Didn't work out so well in Boston.

FWIW, I'm not overreacting to this game.  These are all things i've been posting about as soon as the trade went down.  But tonight didn't really disprove any of the things I'm watching for.  Mavs had a lower FG%, less assists, and less points than they normally score

« Reply #229 on: December 21, 2014, 12:24:22 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Keep Hating.

Okay then.

Why don't you actually look at the box score of those specific games.  The Dallas offense has been very mediocre against the better teams in the league. 

« Reply #230 on: December 21, 2014, 12:25:14 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I don't agree that the Mavs will integrate Rondo instantly and be clicking but then suddenly crash down to earth.  I am not sure where that thought comes from?  He doesn't even know the offense or players tend yet.  I think it will take a few months before they find the right balance of everything.  By that point they will have signed another big to replace Wright and the team will be better adjusted.

It is interesting how many pages this thread went tonight and everyones responses.  Rondo is literally in a no win situation with some of you.  If he plays well, it is 'why wasn't he playing like this when he was here?'  If he plays poorly, 'see he will never be as good as 2010-2012 the last time he ever played def and was worth a crap'.  Funny how that works.

That's just how some people are here. No matter what happened, they'd hate him for something.

Did Rondo want out? Did he coast his final year? I don't know, but what I do know is if he was unhappy here, he did his post to not show it. He very well could've made it a public spectacle ala Dwight and Melo, but he didn't.

He also said in the Dallas press conference that he tried and played hard everyday as a Celtic this past season.  I mean what a liar

When i see him let guys by him repeatedly and tonight he backpeddles raises his arms to contain the drive, it makes me angry.

I been telling you guys that this is the kind of "detail" he is not doing.  Why couldn't he do it? Why couldn't he try harder?

Just when i didn't want to care about this Rondo fiasco anymore, he does things that makes me go "unbelievable".   

And if he even made a peep about wanting a trade, you'd probably be the first one here saying how much of a brat he is. You're exactly the type of poster I'm talking about, no matter what way this played out, you'd find something to hate.

X2. When someone dislikes somebody in life or a NBA player in this case, they try to find every means to discredit them.

I will agree Rondo seem to have played harder tonight. Who wouldn't!? On the first day of a new job aren't you going to try and put in your all? Especially when you know that you actually have a great shot at a bonus (In this case an NBA Championship)?

That's sad.  You take care of the team that drafted you, that you been with 9 years first . That's what i would do.  That's what Duncan , Dirk have done.   

We always knew Ainge was shopping Rondo for years (I don't blame him, if we can upgrade why not). However if you had a boss, first person to hire you after finishing College and each year you know he has been interviewing other persons to take your job, how would you feel?

You might come back and say Ainge has a right, it is a business so Rondo should not be offended or care if he is being shopped. Oh so Rondo should be loyal to the Celtics when Ainge has always been shopping him? I thought loyalty went both ways (Spurs and Duncan, Mavs and Dirk).

Rondo should of proved to Ainge that he made a mistake in trying to trade him before. This season was his chance to do this. He was given the title of "captain" etc.  Nobody was expecting him to score 30 a game, 15 assists, 10 rebounds on a nightly basis.    But expecting the best effort out of him , game in and game out can't be asking too much.

I would of not cared if he didn't get his triple doubles as long as he tried. Backpeddled , raised his arms to contain the drive.    "winning" plays, he showed on several occasions tonight and in the past

Let me get this straight.  So now you are saying it is Rondo's fault that he got traded because he didn't play hard enough to impress Ainge?  Is that what you are saying?  I want to make sure.

« Reply #231 on: December 21, 2014, 12:27:09 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221

Those two are all time greats AND they are big men

If Danny had either one of those for their full career, you wouldn't hear trade rumors

(Until now since they are old)  ;D
[/quote]

I think a better example would have been Parker..lol. But really you don't hear trade rumors about any of their starting 5. I don't know if insiders hate Ainge, but his inquires about trades are ALWAYS leaked.

« Reply #232 on: December 21, 2014, 12:27:57 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Keep Hating.

Okay then.

Why don't you actually look at the box score of those specific games.  The Dallas offense has been very mediocre against the better teams in the league.
Neat... I'm anxiously awaiting to see the new-look mavs play against some of those teams.  The Mavs offense tonight looked a little rough against Boris Diaw, Aron Baynes, Kyle Anderson, Cory Joseph and Marco Bellinelli.  Had it not been for Monta Ellis going off with 38 points, they would have lost. 

Wild guess that most teams in this league play worse against the top teams in the league.  Seems to be logical to me.  That doesn't change the fact that the Mavs have had the best offense in the league and just introduced a pretty major element that could hurt them.

I will remain curious to see how ball-dominating Ellis will co-exist if the Spurs give the keys to Rondo. 

I will remain curious to see how ball-dominating Rondo will survive if he's forced to adapt to a free-flowing share-the-ball offense.  It didn't work in Boston.  Not sure why it will work in Dallas.   

« Reply #233 on: December 21, 2014, 12:29:22 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
You know, for everyone here who is pointing to Rondo's lack of effort on defense, he was certainly up for the game against the Cavs when he took a charge early, but more to the point - I don't remember seeing really any effort from Pierce on defense from when I started watching in 04-05 to when we got KG and Ray, so calm down.  It's not like Rondo is the only guy who might have slacked off, and I love both Pierce and Rondo to death.  I just think that some context is important, here.  The guy loves the big games and the big moments.  So?  I honestly think that it's a testament to Rondo that he can still lead the league in assists even when he 'mailed it in' or whatever you want to call it, but no one who hates the guy will listen to anything I've said here, so, meh, lol. ;D

Pierce defended pretty well when O'Brien was here but did slack off in the years after that.  But Pierce would rarely get dominated by opposing SFs, particularly guys less talented than he.  Rondo has a well established history of phoning it in when he doesn't think his opposite number is on his level.

And if people aren't listening to you, it's not because they "hate" Rondo.  It's because your worshipful arguments are weak and repetitive.

Mike

« Reply #234 on: December 21, 2014, 12:29:50 AM »

Offline Blaze4G

• Oshae Brissett

I agree, I honestly believe if Rondo had played good defense since the beginning of this season, we might have a few more wins. However, I usually try to put myself in someone else shoes. If year after year you are not getting the recognition and is viewed as a tradeable asset then it weighs on any human being. He might have just reached his limit and just wanted to move on although he said otherwise.

« Reply #235 on: December 21, 2014, 12:39:09 AM »

Offline Blaze4G

• Oshae Brissett

Keep Hating.

Okay then.

Neat... I'm anxiously awaiting to see the new-look mavs play against some of those teams.  The Mavs offense tonight looked a little rough against Boris Diaw, Aron Baynes, Kyle Anderson, Cory Joseph and Marco Bellinelli.  Had it not been for Monta Ellis going off with 38 points, they would have lost. 

Wild guess that most teams in this league play worse against the top teams in the league.  Seems to be logical to me.  That doesn't change the fact that the Mavs have had the best offense in the league and just introduced a pretty major element that could hurt them.

I will remain curious to see how ball-dominating Ellis will co-exist if the Spurs give the keys to Rondo. 

I will remain curious to see how ball-dominating Rondo will survive if he's forced to adapt to a free-flowing share-the-ball offense.  It didn't work in Boston.  Not sure why it will work in Dallas.

Mavericks against West Contenders

Blazers 108-87
Rockets 95-92
Warriors 105 - 98
Grizzlies 114-105
Spurs 101-100

So the Mavericks averages 109 PPG yet has scored below this average in all games they have played against West Contenders. You said that the Mavericks were losing to these teams because of Defense right?
PS. The mavericks have been averaging 96 PPG against top west teams.FAR off the 109 PPG.

But you still blame the Mavericks defense and not their offense against the top West teams right?

« Reply #236 on: December 21, 2014, 12:39:18 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Let me get this straight.  So now you are saying it is Rondo's fault that he got traded because he didn't play hard enough to impress Ainge?  Is that what you are saying?  I want to make sure.

I would bet $100 that Ainge would never have traded Rondo if he had come out this season and played like a max contract guy.  Where would you have ranked Rondo's play with Boston this year?  Was he a top 10 pg?  Top 20?

Mike

« Reply #237 on: December 21, 2014, 12:44:20 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I would bet $100 that Ainge would never have traded Rondo if he had come out this season and played like a max contract guy.  Where would you have ranked Rondo's play with Boston this year?  Was he a top 10 pg?  Top 20?

Mike

I never said Rondo was a max contract guy and I don't think I was even asking you this question.
Rank him yourself, I don't really give a sh_t about where everyone ranks him.

« Reply #238 on: December 21, 2014, 12:44:53 AM »

Offline Shamrocker

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
Earl K. Sneed @EarlKSneed  ·  24m Rondo put in work to learn the Mavs' system: "I've been here 24 hours & I've probably practiced more in 24 hours than I have all season."

Is that a veiled shot at Stevens?

« Reply #239 on: December 21, 2014, 12:49:22 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Keep Hating.

Okay then.

I will remain curiuos to see how ball-dominating Rondo will survive if he's forced to adapt to a free-flowing share-the-ball offense.  It didn't work in Boston.  Not sure why it will work in Dallas.

Considering ball dominating Ellis scored 38 points, he seemed to coexist quite well with Rondo in their first game together.  Ellis carrying a significant part of running the offense allowed Rondo to focus more of his effort on defense.  The Mavs will make some adjustments to their offense to fit better with Rondo's abilities but they are not going to give the keys of the offense to Rondo.