Author Topic: RONDO first game with Dallas about to Start  (Read 44979 times)

Re: RONDO first game with Dallas about to Start
« Reply #180 on: December 20, 2014, 11:13:47 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
LarBrd33 the difference is Boston played a terrible team while Dallas played the defending champions..

Come on, man. They played the defending champions' bench, which is much different lol

Is it different? Maybe marginally.

They're great for a bench, don't get me wrong. But to say that the absence of Duncan, Ginobli, Parker, Green, and Leonard is only marginally important is asinine. And to call them the defending champs is absolutely fallacious. Does that make Perkins, Posey, Brown, Cassell, and Powe the defending champs of 2008?

« Reply #181 on: December 20, 2014, 11:13:56 PM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Love the defense I saw from Rondo tonight

« Reply #182 on: December 20, 2014, 11:16:01 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
LarBrd33 the difference is Boston played a terrible team while Dallas played the defending champions..

Come on, man. They played the defending champions' bench, which is much different lol

They're great for a bench, don't get me wrong. But to say that the absence of Duncan, Ginobli, Parker, Green, and Leonard is only marginally important is asinine. And to call them the defending champs is absolutely fallacious. Does that make Perkins, Posey, Brown, Cassell, and Powe the defending champs of 2008?

I might have misunderstood your original post - I thought you meant our starting lineup is better than the Spurs' bench. Which I don't think it is.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #183 on: December 20, 2014, 11:17:37 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

I might have misunderstood your original post - I thought you meant our starting lineup is better than the Spurs' bench. Which I don't think it is.

Well that makes more sense, though I'd still argue against the claim that their bench is better than our starting five!  ;D

« Reply #184 on: December 20, 2014, 11:18:38 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I love watching both sides argue which games count and which don't. I hope every Mavs game thread ends like this!

« Reply #185 on: December 20, 2014, 11:18:46 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
I don't agree that the Mavs will integrate Rondo instantly and be clicking but then suddenly crash down to earth.  I am not sure where that thought comes from?  He doesn't even know the offense or players tend yet.  I think it will take a few months before they find the right balance of everything.  By that point they will have signed another big to replace Wright and the team will be better adjusted.

It is interesting how many pages this thread went tonight and everyones responses.  Rondo is literally in a no win situation with some of you.  If he plays well, it is 'why wasn't he playing like this when he was here?'  If he plays poorly, 'see he will never be as good as 2010-2012 the last time he ever played def and was worth a crap'.  Funny how that works.

« Reply #186 on: December 20, 2014, 11:19:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I didn't. What a guy. Quit on the Celts like Doc did

« Reply #187 on: December 20, 2014, 11:19:34 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
Dirk looks fried.  Like KG.  Time to retire.

This is Dirk's last year as a starter.   He could take on a role like Robert Horry did though in the past

Parsons is overrated.  Monta and Chandler are the key for this team

No defense.  Concede the most points of any contender by far.  Almost as bad as ours.

Lost to SA (without Kawhi, Tiago, Mills), Houston, Portland, Memphis, GSW.

« Reply #188 on: December 20, 2014, 11:27:20 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I don't agree that the Mavs will integrate Rondo instantly and be clicking but then suddenly crash down to earth.  I am not sure where that thought comes from?  He doesn't even know the offense or players tend yet.  I think it will take a few months before they find the right balance of everything.  By that point they will have signed another big to replace Wright and the team will be better adjusted.

It is interesting how many pages this thread went tonight and everyones responses.  Rondo is literally in a no win situation with some of you.  If he plays well, it is 'why wasn't he playing like this when he was here?'  If he plays poorly, 'see he will never be as good as 2010-2012 the last time he ever played def and was worth a crap'.  Funny how that works.

That's just how some people are here. No matter what happened, they'd hate him for something.

Did Rondo want out? Did he coast his final year? I don't know, but what I do know is if he was unhappy here, he did his post to not show it. He very well could've made it a public spectacle ala Dwight and Melo, but he didn't.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #189 on: December 20, 2014, 11:32:20 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

I've always been a Rondo supporter, and I really wanted us to keep him and sign him to a reasonable contract. But it was very clear tonight that he was much more engaged, aggressive, and motivated to play tonight than he was in Boston. And with all of the Perkins fall out and everything, it seems reasonable to suggest that the rebuild was adversely affecting Rondo's play and effort.

Now this could be an anomaly due to it being Rondo's first night there, but I bet he ends up playing good ball there much like he was in Boston with the Big 3. He's just not a #1/leading type of player, and he wasn't right for our curren situation, which is fine. The trade probably ends up helping everybody out, though I really wish we could've got more for him.

It's funny, because everyone always said Rondo is more valuable to the C's than anyone else. But I think it's clear tonight that in our situation, Rondo is much more valuable in Dallas' situation than ours.

« Reply #190 on: December 20, 2014, 11:33:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

That's just how some people are here. No matter what happened, they'd hate him for something.

Did Rondo want out? Did he coast his final year? I don't know, but what I do know is if he was unhappy here, he did his post to not show it. He very well could've made it a public spectacle ala Dwight and Melo, but he didn't.

Basically you are calling him fake then.   Which is even worse

He also said in the Dallas press conference that he tried and played hard everyday as a Celtic this past season.  I mean what a liar

When i see him let guys by him repeatedly and tonight he backpeddles raises his arms to contain the drive, it makes me angry.

I been telling you guys that this is the kind of "detail" he is not doing.  Why couldn't he do it? Why couldn't he try harder?

Just when i didn't want to care about this Rondo fiasco anymore, he does things that makes me go "unbelievable".   

« Reply #191 on: December 20, 2014, 11:35:23 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

I didn't. What a guy. Quit on the Celts like Doc did

You can't be serious.  I need to shut up before i get myself banned.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #192 on: December 20, 2014, 11:36:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Danny said, he expected Rondo to have the best season of his career. And Rondo just did the opposite.  Being "smart" getting his triple doubles, but not doing the "detail" things guys like AB and Smart were doing to try to help this team win.

Smart and AB had to do Rondo's dirty work by covering opposing teams PG, like Rondo had a disability or something. And tonight he is guarding the Spurs pg, switches and then cover their SG. etc.

« Reply #193 on: December 20, 2014, 11:37:20 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

Basically you are calling him fake then.   Which is even worse

He also said in the Dallas press conference that he tried and played hard everyday as a Celtic this past season.  I mean what a liar

When i see him let guys by him repeatedly and tonight he backpeddles raises his arms to contain the drive, it makes me angry.

I been telling you guys that this is the kind of "detail" he is not doing.  Why couldn't he do it? Why couldn't he try harder?

Just when i didn't want to care about this Rondo fiasco anymore, he does things that makes me go "unbelievable".   

I don't agree with you on alot, Triboy, but I think you're spot on about this. lol He definitely seems like he'll be a much better player in Dallas than he was in Boston during the rebuild, especially when it comes to his effort, motivation, and aggression.

I don't necessarily put it all on Rondo, though. He's just not really that type of player to excel in our rebuild, and a rebuild will affect every player's game to some degree.

« Reply #194 on: December 20, 2014, 11:38:05 PM »

Offline Blaze4G

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.  Dallas just played the Spurs bench a night after the Spurs played an overtime game...

And Dallas looked worse than they normally do in spite of this.  They average 110 points on 48% shooting... tonight they put up 99 points on 43% shooting despite the arrival of Rondo and the fact they were playing against the Spurs D-Team.

Again... so far Boston looks better and the Mavs look worse.  That could change, of course.

you're such a Rondo hater it is unbearable! I am positive the Spurs bench would trash the Wolves squad that played against the Celtics 9 out of 10 times. You have a new player playing his first game for a new team at the PG position which is where essentially all plays start when the shot clock begins counting down and you expect what? That if Mavericks didn't score 150 points tonight then Mavericks are worse with Rondo?

OBVIOUSLY you did not watch the game or you had blinders on. Dirk was missing wide open shots. You talk about spacing, many of the missed shots Dirk got were wide open looks or shots he usually make. Parsons were also missing a few he usually makes. The refs were making many BS calls for the spurs.

I bet you are going to ignore that Rondo had the highest +/- for the Mavericks and say "oh you don't believe in +/-".

You are saying Mavericks looks worse however it could change. Come on! One game? wait a few weeks before making any statements which team looks better or worse.

I bet if Mavericks had beaten Spurs by 50 points tonight you would have discredited Rondo and said something like "it was Ellis or Parsons or Dirk why they won by that much".

Keep Hating.