Author Topic: RONDO first game with Dallas about to Start  (Read 44959 times)

Re: RONDO first game with Dallas about to Start
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2014, 10:20:56 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I don't think the Spurs give up much in mid-season playing their bench. They are probably better rested than the starters. Plus the Spurs are a well oiled machine that relies on a system and not star power.

« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2014, 10:21:21 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
I HAVE seen enough to disagree with LarBird33 Dallas will be a much better team once these guys understand that when Rondo has the ball he is always in attack mode and he can pass the ball to you wherever you are, and from anywhere on the court. They have robbed him off many assists tonight because they are just surprised by his passes.
I have seen enough to agree with LarBird33.  Dallas was the best offensive team in the league and Rondo isnt' going to move the needle much.  THey are currently losing to the Spurs exhausted bench members a day after San Antonio's overtime game.

Dirk 2-11, Parsons 5-14.
... Dat spacing

WHile everyone is ga-ga over Rondo's stats, note that they are losing to San Antonio's bench warmers... and the Mavericks, previously the league's highest scoring most efficient team, is shooting 37% with Rondo at the helm. 

Let's see what happens in the 4th quarter if they leave Rondo out there. 

Long term, I think Rondo should bring enough to the table to make up for his deficiencies.  But Dallas will need to adapt to him.
Dirk is having a bad night period even when he's not on the floor with Rondo so it's more than just Dat spacing.

« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2014, 10:22:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Classic Rondo... gets surrounded with hall of fame talent, but he's still losing to the Spurs C-Team.  Close to getting a triple double, though.

Well Dirk is having an awful night. Imagine if the real Spurs were playing, but we must remember that Pop has his squad prepared top to bottom.
I honestly think the Mavs are going to have a few week honeymoon period where they play really well with Rondo at the helm... but then it's very possible that defenses will adjust, the Mavs spacing will suffer, Monta Ellis and Rondo will have trouble coexisting... and we COULD see the team worse-off than they were prior to making the move.

« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2014, 10:23:43 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919
I haven't been paying much attention to him tonight, but how is Monta defensively?

« Reply #109 on: December 20, 2014, 10:25:54 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I think Rondo's defensive effort has been the exact same. He just has Tyson Chandler standing behind him now instead of Sullinger, Olynyk, Bass.

I don't know. I'm seeing an effort change not necessarily defensive efficiency or anything. He HARDLY EVER tried fighting through screens in Boston; tonight he's much more active and trying to get around them.

I'm not watching the game, so take this for what it's worth, but what I saw from Rondo in Boston was that he was trying reasonably well to fight over and our bigs were just too immobile to perform correct coverage. If your team philosophy is to go over screens, it is imperative that your bigs give quick and solid hedges. Too often Sully and Oly would just give the guards 3 feet to work with, and I saw Kelly a few games ago try to hard hedge and literally run past the ball handler.  No matter how hard a player tries or how fast they are, everyone needs the second P&R defender to impede the ball handler. That's partly why KG was so great- remember his hard hedges right in the middle of the lane? That was underrated.

I think this also explains AB's defensive "regression." He's not getting teh few extra seconds to get in front of guys and thus cannot get as far into their grills.

« Reply #110 on: December 20, 2014, 10:26:06 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Classic Rondo... gets surrounded with hall of fame talent, but he's still losing to the Spurs C-Team.  Close to getting a triple double, though.

Well Dirk is having an awful night. Imagine if the real Spurs were playing, but we must remember that Pop has his squad prepared top to bottom.
I honestly think the Mavs are going to have a few week honeymoon period where they play really well with Rondo at the helm... but then it's very possible that defenses will adjust, the Mavs spacing will suffer, Monta Ellis and Rondo will have trouble coexisting... and we COULD see the team worse-off than they were prior to making the move.

Rondo is not a new player in the league, why would it take time for defenses to adjust to Rondo. I believe it is more his teammates that have to adjust to his timing and peculiarities therefore the Mavericks will get better with Rondo and not worse. I actually believe this is a growing pains game for the Mavericks. Once they get their timing down with more practice, they will be much better.

Rondo is in to start the fourth quarter.

« Reply #111 on: December 20, 2014, 10:26:18 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
I'm starting to think Dirk is a little soft  ::)

« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2014, 10:28:11 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Dirk is soft and seems to be taking this game off.

« Reply #113 on: December 20, 2014, 10:28:55 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Nice pass from Rondo for slam dunk by Chandler.

« Reply #114 on: December 20, 2014, 10:29:00 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Ah, the crowd would have gone crazy if Rondo had of made that jump shot to give Dallas the lead.

« Reply #115 on: December 20, 2014, 10:30:06 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Did Rondo flop this much in Boston? I truly don't remember it as much, but it is painfully obvious tonight on all of these charges he is drawing. Pop is fuming.

« Reply #116 on: December 20, 2014, 10:30:13 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Rondo draws another charge. Is that #4???

« Reply #117 on: December 20, 2014, 10:30:50 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Dirk is soft and seems to be taking this game off.

They should trade him for a trade exception and someone young enough to get fans talking about "the future."

« Reply #118 on: December 20, 2014, 10:31:14 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
4th charge of the game drawn by Rondo.

« Reply #119 on: December 20, 2014, 10:31:16 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Rondo is not a new player in the league, why would it take time for defenses to adjust to Rondo. I believe it is more his teammates that have to adjust to his timing and peculiarities therefore the Mavericks will get better with Rondo and not worse. I actually believe this is a growing pains game for the Mavericks. Once they get their timing down with more practice, they will be much better.

Rondo is in to start the fourth quarter.

Spurs have done a great job with their zone defense today.

Mavs commentators had it right when they said that is a tough defense to have to play against while Rondo makes his debut. Haven't had enough time with teammates to learn how best to attack the zone with Rondo there. Dallas would have been much better off in a running game. A nice open attacking game where Rondo and his teammates can ad-lib while they learn each other's game.