Author Topic: Possible 2015 Trade/ Free Agent Targets.  (Read 10765 times)

Re: Possible 2015 Trade/ Free Agent Targets.
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2014, 05:17:48 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Al Jefferson did and made that Charlotte squad into a Playoff team. They had Kemba and who else? I didn't see him get paid a ton either. He clearly saw something there.
Because nobody else wanted to pay him big money. No playoff teams came in for him offering large contract.So yes, if a player cannot get anybody to make him a good offer on the market, Boston can make good offer and get the player.

Big Al signed for about $14 million a year.

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2014, 05:28:34 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Wow, some of you guy's really have some high hopes. I don't think we're drawing interest from top flight free agents until we take a few steps forward. 

Monroe as a center option is interesting, I would like to see him protect the rim a bit more. (I mean someone has to) He's young and may grow into the roll. He would mesh well with a PF that can some block shots.

The best bet we have is to pry young talent from losing or rebuilding teams. I don't think top notch free agents are coming to a team that is not heading in the right direction.   

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2014, 05:28:47 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Al Jefferson did and made that Charlotte squad into a Playoff team. They had Kemba and who else? I didn't see him get paid a ton either. He clearly saw something there.
Because nobody else wanted to pay him big money. No playoff teams came in for him offering large contract.So yes, if a player cannot get anybody to make him a good offer on the market, Boston can make good offer and get the player.

That's fair. Point taken.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2014, 05:35:13 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Do you think New York is more attractive a destination than Boston?
Yes. They have Carmelo Anthony. A true star.

Whichever star goes there knows he will have someone else to share the load with. A dynamic duo or even a Big Three if they can convince a 3rd guy to come in. That is huge. Having that 1st star is so important to convince the next guy to come in. No way Houston get Dwight Howard two summers ago without having James Harden there first. Carmelo + star FA = instant foundation to build a strong around.

1.  Carmello Anthony has gotten out of the first round of the playoffs twice in his career.  He led NY to a record of 37-45 last season and 5-24 this season.  He also be nearly 31 and 1/2 years old when next season begins.  He also notorious for demanding his touches often and exactly where he wants them.  If you think players look at him and say "I can't wait to play with that guy", I think you are seriously mistaken.

2.  The New York Knicks are a disaster area.  I don't think they have an above average player on the roster besides Anthony.  Their coach is completely unproven and their effective GM is an absentee landlord.  They also have no 2nd round pick in 2015 and 2017 and no picks at all in 2016.  If you think that's a more attractive situation than Boston, I think you are seriously mistaken.

3.  Houston got Howard because they were already a good team.  And it took LA becoming one of the most toxic environments possible for Dwight to leave in the first place.  New York sucks and what soon-to-be free agent is so miserable that he's willing to leave money on the table just to get to a new town?

Mike

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2014, 05:48:08 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker

If a 2nd, or more, team(s) come in and offer comparable contract ... Boston's chances of getting a player like Monroe go way down. Celtics need that overpay to be confident of getting their man.

Except the teams who can offer comparable contracts to Boston ALSO SUCK.  If the money is the same, why would players ALWAYS prefer someone besides Boston?  You're arguing that FAs will pick Utah over Boston or Philly over Boston because...Boston has cooties?

Mike

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2014, 05:50:56 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker

But your argument is that if Boston and Charlotte both offer a FA the same money, they're going to pick Charlotte...just because?

Mike

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2014, 06:04:39 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

If a 2nd, or more, team(s) come in and offer comparable contract ... Boston's chances of getting a player like Monroe go way down. Celtics need that overpay to be confident of getting their man.

Except the teams who can offer comparable contracts to Boston ALSO SUCK.  If the money is the same, why would players ALWAYS prefer someone besides Boston?  You're arguing that FAs will pick Utah over Boston or Philly over Boston because...Boston has cooties?

Mike

Utah and Philly are just as unattractive as Boston is ... if not worse.

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2014, 09:11:21 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
These guys are who I want, and would be willing to overpay to get.

Draymond Green
Robin Lopez
Jimmy Butler

I'd take any of those 3 in a heartbeat. I'd also consider overpaying for Enes Kanter. Rudy Gobert is nipping at his heels and I think Jazz management will consider letting him go and drafting a new big man this summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1wmLbWUhaY

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2014, 04:28:59 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
This may seem a bit out there but what about D. Rose? Of course there's the uncertainty of his health, and of course the Bulls may have no intention of moving him, but it is possible they're looking to move on in the same way that the Bruins moved on from Seguin.

Without bothering with the trade checker, I was thinking maybe piggy back off the Wright for IT from PHX idea, send IT to the Bulls with filler (Bass/Thornton) and our probable lotto pick at the deadline.

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2014, 01:53:26 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85

Part of the reason that I wanted to keep Rondo.

Yea, but with the expiration of the contract and probability that it will take a likely 100m to retain him, that's majorly risky. The Lakers had Kobe Bryant and cap space this summer and stars didn't go near them. The stars can recognize(or someone tells them) most of the time when it's headed downhill.

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2014, 02:07:18 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I think you need to lower your expectations.

Celtics entering the long slow rebuild. Not top level stars are coming here for awhile.

Guys go where the money is, especially when they haven't yet signed a big deal.  That's why tanking isn't the only option.  Greg Monroe is not going to sign with the Spurs for the minimum just because he wants to win.

Mike

Guys go where the money is when nobody else is offering comparable money.

When comparable money is offered, free agents go to best situation. That is not the Celtics.

Trading Rondo eliminated whatever minimal chance there was at attracting a top level free agent.  Our best hope is that Brooklyn implodes and we get real lucky in the draft.

Bullsh....

Except it's not cow manure.

Even though Rondo hasn't been as good as he was, he still has built a reputation of being a star, and stars have pull into attracting other stars. He may not have the same pull as the top players right now, but he has more of a pull than Jeff Green, Jared Sullinger or Brad Stevens.

It also doesnt help that Danny Ainge seems to be the kind of GM who would trade anyone at anytime. It will be hard for someone to commit here knowing that established names will still be dealt. Some of the trades Danny made helped us, but you cant get that stigma out.

No top tier FA would be enticed into playing for a rebuilding team, unless the money offer is too much to reject (and that's a long shot at best).

What about the stigma that Ainge is actually honest with his players ?  Rondo was very complimentary to Ainge, and their relationship, him being honest, etc.  It seems Ainge also has a great relationship with agents across the board as well.

Couple these two things together and if the money is right, free agents will be here.