Author Topic: Possible 2015 Trade/ Free Agent Targets.  (Read 10731 times)

Possible 2015 Trade/ Free Agent Targets.
« on: December 20, 2014, 06:30:02 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
By my count, the Celts now have 8 first round picks over the next three seasons.

That's in addition to other current assets they have like Smart, Sully, Olynyk and Bradley.

Here's a look at players which Ainge could perhaps pry to Boston next offseason by either trade or free agency.

Trade Targets

1.) Dwight Howard: Howard can become a free agent as soon as the summer of 2016 if he opts out.
If the Rockets can't make it past the first round this season and Ainge comes cashing in, does Houston consider dealing it's star center?

I think Howard is at that "KG of 2007" stage of his career where he isn't getting any younger and likely has 4-5 productive years left before he starts to decline. Not to mention, Howard already missed 11 games this season with a knee injury.

Could Howard be had with some of our assets?

2.) Chris Bosh: This one might be more realistic than you might think actually. Bosh just signed a 5 year mega deal this past summer. Right now, Miami is an underwhelming 12-15 and if you look at their roster, there isn't much to look at past Bosh and not much flexibility.

To me, Miami has the makings of another roller coaster ride of going from the top back down to the bottom. Could they be tempted to deal their star player for future assets and cap relief?

3.) Chris Paul: I know we've been down this road before. But I believe if the Clippers don't win a title this year, the Clippers could look to move Paul and get younger by building around Griffin. If we already had another star in toe, could Boston be viewed a more attractive destination to Paul from what it was 3 years ago when we were a much older team?

4.) Russell Westbrook: If the Thunder have another underwhelming season this year, at what point does OKC consider breaking up the Durant/Westbrook pair? If DA offered Smart and a plethora of draft picks to Thunder, wouldn't they consider that return for Westbrook? My prediction: Durant leaves OKC in 2016, Westbrook gets dealt and the Thunder go back to 2007 territory where they start from the beginning with Ibaka as their star player.

FREE AGENCY

1.)Kevin Love - Yes I know we've been here before, or have we? Remember, last summer Love wasn't a free agent and Cleveland wasn't his first choice til Lebron got there. Say Cleveland doesn't go as far as they would like and Love wants to go somewhere where he's the go to guy. Why wouldn't Boston be on his list with all the cap space we'd have? This is where a Westbrook/Love duo would be a dream!

2.)Goran Dragic: Great player. Even if we go the younger route and stick with Smart long-term, tell me you wouldn't love a Smart/Dragic backcourt? And if you want to attract another star player, suddenly Dragic/Smart would be a nice backcourt to play with, wouldn't it?

3.)Deandre Jordan: Sort of far-fetched because I'd be shocked if the Clippers didn't resign him. But, if they didn't, our long awaited center target would be on the market. Jordan would be perfect on a younger, up-tempo Brad Stevens team. Sully, Smart and Jordan would be great AND…see number 4

4.)Greg Monroe: Monroe is a guy who is not only good but I am surprised Ainge hasn't made a more earnest attempt to get him. Also Monroe would be a great pick up if you don't necessarily want to go the star route and want to keep building around Smart, Sully, Bradley, Olynk, etc. If Ainge could also get Jordan then Monroe/Jordan with Sully/KO off the bench would be perfect!!

Or we could go the boring, miserable route of just "building through the draft"(yawn!)

Thoughts or suggestions?

Re: Possible 2015 Trade/ Free Agent Targets.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 06:46:45 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
By my count, the Celts now have 8 first round picks over the next three seasons.

That's in addition to other current assets they have like Smart, Sully, Olynyk and Bradley.

Here's a look at players which Ainge could perhaps pry to Boston next offseason by either trade or free agency.

Trade Targets

1.) Dwight Howard: Howard can become a free agent as soon as the summer of 2016 if he opts out.
If the Rockets can't make it past the first round this season and Ainge comes cashing in, does Houston consider dealing it's star center?

I think Howard is at that "KG of 2007" stage of his career where he isn't getting any younger and likely has 4-5 productive years left before he starts to decline. Not to mention, Howard already missed 11 games this season with a knee injury.

Could Howard be had with some of our assets?

2.) Chris Bosh: This one might be more realistic than you might think actually. Bosh just signed a 5 year mega deal this past summer. Right now, Miami is an underwhelming 12-15 and if you look at their roster, there isn't much to look at past Bosh and not much flexibility.

To me, Miami has the makings of another roller coaster ride of going from the top back down to the bottom. Could they be tempted to deal their star player for future assets and cap relief?

3.) Chris Paul: I know we've been down this road before. But I believe if the Clippers don't win a title this year, the Clippers could look to move Paul and get younger by building around Griffin. If we already had another star in toe, could Boston be viewed a more attractive destination to Paul from what it was 3 years ago when we were a much older team?

4.) Russell Westbrook: If the Thunder have another underwhelming season this year, at what point does OKC consider breaking up the Durant/Westbrook pair? If DA offered Smart and a plethora of draft picks to Thunder, wouldn't they consider that return for Westbrook? My prediction: Durant leaves OKC in 2016, Westbrook gets dealt and the Thunder go back to 2007 territory where they start from the beginning with Ibaka as their star player.

FREE AGENCY

1.)Kevin Love - Yes I know we've been here before, or have we? Remember, last summer Love wasn't a free agent and Cleveland wasn't his first choice til Lebron got there. Say Cleveland doesn't go as far as they would like and Love wants to go somewhere where he's the go to guy. Why wouldn't Boston be on his list with all the cap space we'd have? This is where a Westbrook/Love duo would be a dream!

2.)Goran Dragic: Great player. Even if we go the younger route and stick with Smart long-term, tell me you wouldn't love a Smart/Dragic backcourt? And if you want to attract another star player, suddenly Dragic/Smart would be a nice backcourt to play with, wouldn't it?

3.)Deandre Jordan: Sort of far-fetched because I'd be shocked if the Clippers didn't resign him. But, if they didn't, our long awaited center target would be on the market. Jordan would be perfect on a younger, up-tempo Brad Stevens team. Sully, Smart and Jordan would be great AND…see number 4

4.)Greg Monroe: Monroe is a guy who is not only good but I am surprised Ainge hasn't made a more earnest attempt to get him. Also Monroe would be a great pick up if you don't necessarily want to go the star route and want to keep building around Smart, Sully, Bradley, Olynk, etc. If Ainge could also get Jordan then Monroe/Jordan with Sully/KO off the bench would be perfect!!

Or we could go the boring, miserable route of just "building through the draft"(yawn!)

Thoughts or suggestions?

I call Dwight the man with NO HEART or the tin man!!  I would NEVER want him.  He is all about having fun and not about winning at all cost.  The exact opposite of KG.  I don't want Bosh either.  I call him Mr. Charmin since he is SO SOFT.  Chris Paul and Westbrook are intriguing.  I really like Paul, even though he hit my Wolfpack player in the nuts on purpose (Julius Hodge) in the ACC tournament in Greensboro.  Westbrook is too much of a gun for my liking, but we might need that.  I think he is the reason KD will likely leave OKC in free agency.  Of the others, only Love mildly intrigues me.  But, he plays NO defense and that is really coming to light this year with the Cavs.

Smitty77

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 07:31:29 PM »

Offline hondobird33

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Top 2 Targets to Get Banner 18:

Marc Gasol is unrestricted FA in 2015
KD as unrestricted FA in 2016

How To Get It Done
Step 1: If OKC fails to win championship this year and KD enters final year of contract (rumors he might want to go to hometown Washington) then propose too good to refuse deal to OKC (Green, their pick of Olynyk or Sullinger, Wallace, 2 first round, and 2 second round picks) - Works in trade machine.  My point is that we have so many trade assets that we can put together an incredible package.

Once we get Durant it will be much easier to sign Marc Gasol.

Line-up
PG- Smart/Pressey
SG- Bradley/Turner
SF- Durant/Young
PF- Olynyk or Sullinger
C- Gasol/Zeller 

Trade or let expire Thorton/Bass/Wright/Nelson

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 12:59:16 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Gasol and KD would be amazing but I left them off the list because I don't see much of a chance of getting either one.

If Durant doesn't stay in OKC he either goes to DC or the Lakers and Gasol either stays in Memphis or goes to another team (maybe Knicks.)

At the very least, I could see Greg Monroe being a legit candidate next season.

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 01:03:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I d max Gasol and trade whatever necessary to aquire him.   Danny has the assets to offer more .

Just offer max .

Durrant and Gasol  equal s title .....LeBron won't matter

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 01:20:46 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I will say this.

Simply adding Monroe could make a big difference because now you have a big that can score and rebound.

In other words, I think this lineup would be significantly better.

No offense to Zeller, but I think he's more of a back-up

PG-Smart
SG-Bradley
SF-Turner/?
PF-Sully/Olynyk
C-Monroe/Zeller.

What would also be nice however is another scorer. Maybe that ends up being James Young, maybe Smart becomes a scorer the more he plays OR maybe they acquire one via trade or free agency.

A guy like JJ Redick or Jamal Crawford from the Clips would be a nice trade target. Suddenly this roster looks pretty darn good and going in the right direction. I know Danny has always liked Redick.

Smart
Bradely/Redick?
Turner/Crawford?
Sully
Monroe

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 01:32:07 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think you need to lower your expectations.

Celtics entering the long slow rebuild. No top level stars are coming here for awhile.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 01:37:48 PM by Who »

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 01:35:16 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I will say this.

Simply adding Monroe could make a big difference because now you have a big that can score and rebound.

In other words, I think this lineup would be significantly better.

No offense to Zeller, but I think he's more of a back-up

PG-Smart
SG-Bradley
SF-Turner/?
PF-Sully/Olynyk
C-Monroe/Zeller.

What would also be nice however is another scorer. Maybe that ends up being James Young, maybe Smart becomes a scorer the more he plays OR maybe they acquire one via trade or free agency.

A guy like JJ Redick or Jamal Crawford from the Clips would be a nice trade target. Suddenly this roster looks pretty darn good and going in the right direction. I know Danny has always liked Redick.

Smart
Bradely/Redick?
Turner/Crawford?
Sully
Monroe

Agree.

I've been on the get Monroe to Boston this summer train for awhile. He is only 24 (25 in June) years old and this is his 5th year in the league.

He is an accomplished scorer and rebounder and is waiting for the right situation to break out. I liken him to ZBo before he was respected.

The major difference is that Monroe never was accused of having an attitude. I like Monroe's character and attitude too. He is acting like a professional and saying all the right things despite being relegated to the bench with reduced minutes this year because he took the QO. Taking that QO was a big risk if he got hurt, but he obviously believed in himself enough to take it.

I'd also like us to keep Green. They're pals and that would help to entice him here.

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 01:36:48 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Celtics entering the long slow rebuild. Not top level stars are coming here for awhile.

I agree, but Monroe is not yet a top level star, but he will be. He should be our target.

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 01:44:46 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Celtics entering the long slow rebuild. Not top level stars are coming here for awhile.

Guys go where the money is, especially when they haven't yet signed a big deal.  That's why tanking isn't the only option.  Greg Monroe is not going to sign with the Spurs for the minimum just because he wants to win.

Mike

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 01:48:58 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Guys go where the money is, especially when they haven't yet signed a big deal.  That's why tanking isn't the only option.  Greg Monroe is not going to sign with the Spurs for the minimum just because he wants to win.

Mike

Guys go where the money is when nobody else is offering comparable money.

When comparable money is offered, free agents go to best situation. That is not the Celtics.

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 03:45:15 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Mike

When comparable money is offered, free agents go to best situation. That is not the Celtics.

Trading Rondo eliminated whatever minimal chance there was at attracting a top level free agent.  Our best hope is that Brooklyn implodes and we get real lucky in the draft. 

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 03:51:46 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
These guys are who I want, and would be willing to overpay to get.

Draymond Green
Robin Lopez
Jimmy Butler

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 03:57:01 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

Mike

Trading Rondo eliminated whatever minimal chance there was at attracting a top level free agent.  Our best hope is that Brooklyn implodes and we get real lucky in the draft.

Bullsh....

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 04:00:16 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Mike

If Boston wins 35+ games and makes the playoffs, they will be just as attractive as most other teams with similar cap room.  Do you think New York is more attractive a destination than Boston?

Mike