Author Topic: The Rondo trade, Olynyk, Smart & the 2015 NBA Draft  (Read 3499 times)

The Rondo trade, Olynyk, Smart & the 2015 NBA Draft
« on: December 20, 2014, 04:09:40 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
What I'm about to write may seem unrelated, but stay with me - let me know your thoughts.

Rondo:
1. If we kept him he probably helps us win enough games to end up with the 8-10 pick in the draft -
2. After trading Rondo, if we now move Green, Bass and Wallace for young players and /or picks  I think we have a high likelihood of landing a top three pick this year.

Olynyk:
1. I think this kid may be a real gamer. He gets benched? He goes on a tear. Tells me he's got a real competitive edge and mental toughness to him.
2. He's made significant improvements defensively, with his physique and with his offensive game
3. He's an incredibly skilled 7 footer. Great ball handling, good passing, strong outside game
4. I predict he will put on another 10 lbs or so of muscle this off season - after which, I think we will start seeing him wheel and deal in the paint a lot more next season.
5. I've said this before and got skewered for it but I believe it - he has some Kevin McHale type skill around the basket - right hand, left hand, up and under moves, little fade away shots - just a lot of junk. He did it in college. As he's gets a little stronger, we will start seeing it from at this level too.     

Marcus Smart:
1. Guy's a beast defensively
2. Has a KG mentality - he can be that 'emotional engine" that makes the team "go".
3. He will get better an better offensively
4. Great team guy, leadership guy.

2015 NBA Draft:
1. What if we do end up with a top three pick this year?   
2. We draft Towns to put next to Olynyk - Sully off the bench...

Would a strong defensive center like  Towns, combined with Olynyk (assuming he's becoming a go to guy offensively and Maaaacus Smaaaat constitute a legitimate young championship core to build around. We then use our ample cap space to bring an elite scorer at the two guard or small forward. Keep re-stocking the team with our draft picks over the next four seasons.

Finally, assuming the above is yes, could the biggest long term value of the Rondo trade be that it ensured us a top three pick to land a player that might possible be a franchise center who would have far more positive impact on the Celtics over the next 10 years than Rondo would have if we kept and signed him to a max contract for the next five years? When he's be 34?

It's a play straight outta Hinkie's handbook but it would be my 6 month goal, that is, tearing down the team enough to put myself in the best position to land a potential franchise center with a top three pick. 

Towns / Zeller
Olynyk / Sullinger
Work to do here  / Crowder
Young  / Bradley
Smart / Turner / Pressey 

I mean even if we don't get  a Towns, maybe it's Stanley Johnson at SF or whatever is the highest impact player available with the top three - we then focus our cap and future picks and/or trades on shoring up the center spot...

I think if this scenario plays out, it would highlight a very underrated value proposition of the Rondo trade.

Re: The Rondo trade, Olynyk, Smart & the 2015 NBA Draft
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 04:47:05 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
solid post.

my 2 cents.

I've been saying right along that we were a bottom 5 team (bottom 3 really) even with Rondo.  the fact we weren't isn't a testament to us having a good team but to how a number of other better teams are grossly underperforming such as Indy, NY and Detroit.   

we got scraps for Rondo and unfortunately saddled with Jameer for another year.  the Dallas pick will roll to next year and likely used in a trade of some sort because I can't see us taking 4 first round picks next year.

Bass and Thornton were trade bait all along and I have little doubt Danny will move them at the deadline in conjunction with some of the guys he just acquired.  I would think Green is also going to be moved since he's likely to opt out and if Rondo didn't want to stick with a rebuild regardless of what he could have been paid, I can't see Green opting in for next season nor agreeing to resign here either.

We're definitely in tank mode.  I like Sully when he's focussed on playing in the paint (I blame his playing outside this season on Stevens more than Sully), KO looks like he's making the leap to starter-caliber player and Smart looks like a solid player but I think the jury's out on him being a PG.  he'll never be Rondo but that's really an unfair comparison.  Young shows promise as well.

I think Danny is a really good drafter so with all the picks we have I think we'll be sitting pretty in a few years with young players.  The key is where OUR pick ends up the next 2 years and how much Brooklyn collapses.  Add some high-pick studs the next 2 years and we may be able to attract a really good FA in a couple of years when we're ready to ascend in the standings.  We're going to stink for at least 2 years.

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 04:54:41 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I think no player on our roster is worth drafting based on fit. Take bpa. Great players can play with anyone. So if he slips to 3 you take okafor. If you get the number 1 pick you take okafor. If okafor is off th board and towns is there you happily take him. If the best player is a pg you take him.

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 05:08:29 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
While I agree with your assessment of Ollie and Smart, I think it is unrealistic to think we are going to end up with a top three pick, the statistical liklihood is very remote unless we end up with the worst record, and frankly, I would not be surprised if we land outside the bottom ten at the rate we are playing, especially against the scrub teams.  The guys we have on our squad are starting to feel comfortable. They are very unselfish.  We have a good offensive, ball movement oriented system.  Our defense is weak, but that is why we are not near the top of the pack. As of this date, we make the play-offs.  Do you really think we are going to perform worse, going forward, without Rondo, but with an added shot blocker/inside finisher in Randolph?  I think our win percentage will actually improve going forward.  Our best chance of getting a big guy is with one of the Nets' future picks.  Let's focus on playing hard, together, try to make the play-offs, attract some good FA's who see a team on the upside, and nab our future stud center in the next 3 or so years.  We are not going to rebuild in one off-season. What happened in '07 is very unusual, a perfect storm. Let us make the best with what we have.  I am optimistic.

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 05:38:38 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
2. After trading Rondo, if we now move Green, Bass and Wallace for young players and /or picks  I think we have a high likelihood of landing a top three pick this year.
I think there is a higher likelihood of ending up with a pick in the 4-6 range -- guys like Stanley Johnson, Justice Winslow, WCS or one of the foreign guys.

I think there is a chance of a top 3 pick but I'd put it as less than 50-50. Higher likelihood of ending up in the 4-6 range.

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 05:51:01 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Do you really think we are going to perform worse, going forward, without Rondo, but with an added shot blocker/inside finisher in Randolph?

I'm assuming you mixed up Wright and Anthony Randolph?

If so that's funny. I used to have trouble keeping them straight myself when they were both on the Warriors.

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 05:53:29 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Can Towns play PF? I looked at video clips and it seems to me like he can.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 05:55:03 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I would rather not tank. I think the future picks from Brooklyn will net us a couple of high draft picks.

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 05:56:43 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
Let's say worst case scenario we get 7th pick and get WCS we will be top 5 defensive teams in the league next year. NO joke, Maybe have green opt in.

Smart
Bradley
Green
Olynyk
WCS

Is a playoff team next year

With
---Pg---(draft pick) or Vet
young
---SF---(draft pick)
Sully
zeller

That's a solid young team next year, definitely playoff team in my mind.

Best case scenerio Danny trades green and assets (have too many to even decide which is what)
Get a top 10 draft pick.

Draft Towns/Okafor/Stanley Johnson/ WCS

Smart
Bradley
Towns
Kelly
WCS

Smart
Bradley
Johnson
Kelly/Sully
Okafor

Smart
Bradley
Johnson
Kelly
okafor

I don't see a scenerio where we get both WCS and Okafor, but if we do then do we trade Kelly or Sully and Pick for a proven SF?
I'm telling you I'm excited with what we have now more then having rondo.

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 06:00:10 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
After all, I believe no matter what we do, I hope we get WCS because honestly, with him we will have one of the best defenses in the league, our Center spot will be shored up for the next 4 years, we have enough scoring at the PF spot in Kelly and Sully, we'd then need to look for a SF who can score and take over scoring wise. Whether that be keep Green and he continues to do what he's doing this year but steps even more, or that's signing one to a max deal next couple years, or cashing in on one when Brooklyn is a lottery team next year.

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 06:03:16 PM »

Offline viking

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Like your thoughts Scoobs

I agree that Smart can be that emotional drive- what he lacks in shooting and experience is currently fleshed out with that fire. Let's hope he develops and becomes a real stud.

Olynyk- leave him on the bench, the 6th man role seems to really work for him right now. Playing against other teams 2nd units is allowing him to be "the man" when he is on the court

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 06:14:26 PM »

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12
  Jahlil Okafor (Center) and Stanley Johnson (SF) are the two players I really want this upcoming draft,  but I'd still be happy to end up with Towns, Mudiay, Winslow, Oubre.

I'm not sold on WCS, he's the type of guy you draft if you have a pick above top 10.

Smart
  Bradley / Young
  Johnson / Turner
  Olynyk
  Monroe    (id try to sign Monroe if we get Johnson)

Smart
  Bradley / Young
  Green / Turner
  Olynyk
  Okafor

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 06:18:52 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Do you really think we are going to perform worse, going forward, without Rondo, but with an added shot blocker/inside finisher in Randolph?

I'm assuming you mixed up Wright and Anthony Randolph?

If so that's funny. I used to have trouble keeping them straight myself when they were both on the Warriors.

Yeah, my bad, LOL.  Need to check my sources better!!

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 06:29:01 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Let's say worst case scenario we get 7th pick and get WCS we will be top 5 defensive teams in the league next year. NO joke, Maybe have green opt in.

Smart
Bradley
Green
Olynyk
WCS

Is a playoff team next year

With
---Pg---(draft pick) or Vet
young
---SF---(draft pick)
Sully
zeller

That's a solid young team next year, definitely playoff team in my mind.

Best case scenerio Danny trades green and assets (have too many to even decide which is what)
Get a top 10 draft pick.

Draft Towns/Okafor/Stanley Johnson/ WCS

Smart
Bradley
Towns
Kelly
WCS

Smart
Bradley
Johnson
Kelly/Sully
Okafor

Smart
Bradley
Johnson
Kelly
okafor

I don't see a scenerio where we get both WCS and Okafor, but if we do then do we trade Kelly or Sully and Pick for a proven SF?
I'm telling you I'm excited with what we have now more then having rondo.
That might be a playoff team in the East but I don't think that is anywhere near contender status. It would also be a ridiculously young starting 5 and expecting a lot from a rookie C. But I guess it would be a step in the right direction.

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 06:41:54 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Nice post Scooby, TP.

Looking at the bigger picture- the goal was always to try and get Love or a game changing player, whilst keeping Rondo too. I think that Ainge and Stevens knew that landing Love or that impact player was going to be a real long shot. Heck we got very close to catching lightning in a bottle until the basketball gods reached down and gave the Cavs another blessing.

Stevens was hired because Ainge plays percentages. This was, mathematically, the most likely scenario we'd find ourselves as Rondo's contract came towards a close and Ainge prepared by hiring a young, brilliant coach that will develop a young core as only an elite college coach knows how.
I think the aim this season will be to finish in the bottom 3 teams.
I'm really hoping they can find deals for Green and Bass ASAP because once they are gone, we are very strong candidates for being worse than the Timberwolves.
Ainge just isn't the kind of guy to be meddling around in these situations so there's really only one option now when you're trying to land a franchise guy- and that's via the draft.

Personally I'd be stoked with either Okafur, Towns or Mudiay. Using our other picks to try and move up to get Cauley Stein would be something I'd be interested in too.

But back to our team-I'm surprised how many people think we are a long shot at bottom three but right now we are:
5 wins ahead of New York, Detroit and Minnesota.
We are 2 wins ahead of the Lakers and Utah.
We have 58 games remaining and without Green and Bass I can't see how this team wins any more than 10-12 games or 1 in 5, which leaves us at around 20-22 wins.

Looking at a team like the Lakers, who are on track for 27 wins and a bottom 5 finish, we should be right there when you consider this will be our roster below.

Great young squad but boy will we be terrible defensively without Green, Bass and Rondo. We are going to really struggle to score without those three as well and their combined 40 points per game.
I just don't know where we get that scoring from.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.