Author Topic: Has your perspective changed a few days after the deal?  (Read 24981 times)

Re: Has your perspective changed a few days after the deal?
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2014, 03:35:48 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Well, we traded rondo and powell for nelson and two other guys.....powell is a good example of the Celtics draft pick history.....played 5 minutes, then traded.......as if we could not learn by SA popovich' style.....PLAY the guys for a few months....see how they can develop....if you quit on the guy, you prove your drafting picks SUCK...WHO does the draft study.....some part timer....?

So a good game against a bad team......Miami will show us more....the main problem I have with smart is..Rondo was a ball handler day 1......an essential PG skill....Smart isn't a ball handler yet.......he is easily picked or stopped on the dribble.......people say rondo had little offers, if that is so, in free agency, the same no one would have wanted him so we keep him for less money....

Nice to see KO and green go at it last game......did KO just get his FIRST pay check..? You mean he stopped being a lazy 3 point launcher who never followed his shot at 7 feet tall. How long will this new attitude last...? it IS good to see, but he didn't just learn how to play like this over night....what was he waiting for..? I hope it stays but......

Well, Danny DIDN'T draft Powell, the Cavs did.  He came here as part of the Bogans deal.  And considering that we were taking in three guys, we needed to get rid of three, Rondo and two others.  In this case, the two least valuable members of the team, Powell and Fav.  (Fav got waived, probably because the Mavs didn't want him, and the second rounder we got in the deal is probably for including Powell)

you miss the point...Rondo is worth more than nelson......so in a three for three, we actually got used....many players across the league wanted rondo to lead their team.....where are the Celtics last 10 years of draft picks..?

Missed the point? You insulted Danny for trading a guy we had just drafted, and when I pointed out that 1. We didn't draft him and 2. It was either him or someone else, I missed the point because I didn't bring up the relative values of Rondo and Nelson?

As for our picks from the past twn years, a good number were included to get KG and Ray (no brainer), some were traded away while we were competing and needed immediate help (like E'twaun Moore and JJJ), a few were late picks with no futures in the NBA, like most late picks (Fab, Kris Joseph, JJJ), some were traded for minor upgrades (Big Baby and Von Wafer for Bass), and a bunch are still on the team (Sully, KO, AB, Young, Smart)

With the exception of Billups, it's hard to find fault with the players Danny traded shortly after drafting
I'm bitter.

« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2014, 04:00:15 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
This post rondo team  plus wright is going to be a headache of a team to play against.  Pressure backcourt defense, pfs and centers that can pass better than some guards in the nba,  Jeff Green's coming out party this season. Love the wright addition, bc have added a big thing we been missing in the lineup.   CBS also has so many options and will just have to do his best juggling act.

How much are you willing to pay to keep Green and Wright?  Green will probably get 4 years/50m+.  Dallas really liked Wright so there's a good chance they'll offer him their full MLE depending on who else is available.   

« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2014, 04:03:25 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
This post rondo team  plus wright is going to be a headache of a team to play against.  Pressure backcourt defense, pfs and centers that can pass better than some guards in the nba,  Jeff Green's coming out party this season. Love the wright addition, bc have added a big thing we been missing in the lineup.   CBS also has so many options and will just have to do his best juggling act.

How much are you willing to pay to keep Green and Wright?  Green will probably get 4 years/50m+.  Dallas really liked Wright so there's a good chance they'll offer him their full MLE depending on who else is available.   

If Boston lets Bass and Thornton walk, he could give Green 5 years/$75 million and still have about $13 mil in cap space left over.

Mike

« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2014, 04:12:17 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

If Boston lets Bass and Thornton walk, he could give Green 5 years/$75 million and still have about $13 mil in cap space left over.

Mike

I'd rather offer that money to Jimmy Butler or Kawhi Leonard. I mean of course, it cant be 5 years but I think you get my jist.

$15 million a year for Jeff Green? If he's 25 it wouldnt be a problem. How about $10-12 million? I want to keep Green, I think he's a starter quality SF, but not for that much.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2014, 04:14:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Green can get 15 million a year in the open market.  But imo should give the Celts a small discount (12-13 million per year).  Overall with what AB has provided in the last 3 seasons vs Green, Green should not be paid almost twice as much 

Wright is in line for 6-8 million a season deal.  If everything works out, Danny is going to try to lock him up to a 3-4 year deal before the trade deadline.  If nothing can be worked out, Danny is definitely going to trade him.   Nelson , Wright and a 2nd or two could get us back another 1st

Crowder is likely going to stick around for the long run. Cheap contract , 24 years old, energy guy that can guard multiple positions and make open threes

« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2014, 04:17:03 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
This post rondo team  plus wright is going to be a headache of a team to play against.  Pressure backcourt defense, pfs and centers that can pass better than some guards in the nab,  Jeff Green's coming out party this season. Love the wright addition, bc have added a big thing we been missing in the lineup.   CBS also has so many options and will just have to do his best juggling act.
Wright is an undersized center.  I seem to recall you railing against having undersized centers (which we already have) in your ongoing push to have the C's tank for a higher pick last year and this year.

why the love for an undersized center now, particularly a journeyman?  is it just because he was obtained for your favorite whipping boy?  Wright, Crowder and Nelson are nothing to get excited about and I don't see any of them moving the needle towards making this team any better.  I expect them all to be gone when their contracts expire if not sooner

The pt is we havent had above the rim play/protection since KG. We will get 2, 3 tip ins/dunks we normally would not be able to score, prevent/alter several shots. These things will make a diff in the W,L

I think Zeller is a better defender overall. At the very least they're equal. Wright can block shots but he can't do much else on the defensive end. And I don't see why he's anything different from Zeller offensively.

Wright might be a slight upgrade but he's hardly a foreign player type for this team. Hopefully he can replicate Zeller's terrific play in expanded minutes and Danny can find a new home for him mid-February.

Zeller has been good but he does not have elite length. Ibaka for example could just do turnaround hook shots after turnaround hook shots over zeller and the only way zeller could stop him is foul him,  play over the top D or Ibaka misses.

James harden ability to penetrate at will is another example. Zeller could not slow him down.   Harden has the capability to twist his body in ways to avoid getting his shot blocked. Eventually he just bowls into zeller and gets foul calls after foul falls.

With wright, he has the lenth and above the rim capability to "cheat" and make ibaka have to alter his shot.    Wright is also very good at blocking or altering jump shots. Ibaka now is not automatic to score 20 plus on us. He has been killing us

Harden could drive and try his acrobatic ways to score but he cant shoot around wrights length anymore. Harden starts missing a couple or wright blocks a shot, the refs are less likely to give harden the calls.

A guy like wright can make a difference against matchup like these

You're portraying Wright as some sort of defensive anchor. He blocks a couple of shots and that's pretty much it. He's an average defender who affects the defense in different ways than Zeller but ultimately is no more or less impactful. His defensive statistics are OK. All those who watched him in Dallas on a game-to-game basis rave about his offensive efficiency but warn that his per-36 blocking numbers are just a tease that hide his otherwise unspectacular defensive performance.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2014, 04:17:36 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm curious to hear from someone who believed Ben mclemore or mkg+biyombo was "laughable return" for rondo.   How did you react when you learned we moved rondo for a late 1st and filler?

Has your perspective changed ?
No. Those were terrible ideas and this is just more terrible. Ben Mc and a one seems better, but that other stuff was and remains terrible.

If Tony Parker were wondering out loud about leaving the Spurs you'd never see the Spurs make a panic move and lose a game of chicken like this.

Tony Parker can shoot and defend.
Rondo can't.
Parker can defend and Rondo can't. Hmmmm....let's see. Rondo made 4 all defensive teams as recently as 2012...did Parker? Hmmm...nooooo.

In comparison Parker can't rebound or pass.

« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2014, 04:18:58 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm curious to hear from someone who believed Ben mclemore or mkg+biyombo was "laughable return" for rondo.   How did you react when you learned we moved rondo for a late 1st and filler?

No. Those were terrible ideas and this is just more terrible. Ben Mc and a one seems better, but that other stuff was and remains terrible.

If Tony Parker were wondering out loud about leaving the Spurs you'd never see the Spurs make a panic move and lose a game of chicken like this.
Unfortunately Tony Parker has more trade value than Rondo... even in a contract year.  There's a lot of red flags preventing most teams from going after Rondo.  The market was weak.
You trade T Parker straight up for Rondo and the Spurs probably get a teeny better or stay the same and we get worse.

« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2014, 04:26:11 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

Unfortunately Tony Parker has more trade value than Rondo... even in a contract year.  There's a lot of red flags preventing most teams from going after Rondo.  The market was weak.
You trade T Parker straight up for Rondo and the Spurs probably get a teeny better or stay the same and we get worse.

Spurs get worse and we get a little better. It's pretty clear. Rondo cannot space the floor like Parker can and he hasn't been able to drive to the hoop as effectively as Parker has in a couple years now.

I don't really know why anyone is trying to engage you in a Rondo debate when you've repeatedly made statements about him that confuse me into believing this is 2011 again.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2014, 04:28:40 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Mike

I'd rather offer that money to Jimmy Butler or Kawhi Leonard. I mean of course, it cant be 5 years but I think you get my jist.

$15 million a year for Jeff Green? If he's 25 it wouldnt be a problem. How about $10-12 million? I want to keep Green, I think he's a starter quality SF, but not for that much.

I'm not saying we should offer him that much, though we may have to if we want to keep him.  I'm just pointing out the salary cap flexibility Ainge got in the Rondo deal.

Mike

« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2014, 04:30:30 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Spurs get worse and we get a little better. It's pretty clear. Rondo cannot space the floor like Parker can and he hasn't been able to drive to the hoop as effectively as Parker has in a couple years now.

I don't really know why anyone is trying to engage you in a Rondo debate when you've repeatedly made statements about him that confuse me into believing this is 2011 again.

Spurs should be fine with Rondo at the helm Rondo today is still an effective player, I don't understand why people on this site is equating him to Reggie Evans (it's not to you it's other people.)

« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2014, 04:31:09 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth

if this topic has turned into Parker vs Rondo, anyone who thinks that Rondo is better in any aspect of the game should go and watch any SAS finals series
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2014, 04:32:29 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Mike

I'm not saying we should offer him that much, though we may have to if we want to keep him.  I'm just pointing out the salary cap flexibility Ainge got in the Rondo deal.

Mike

Fair enough.

And I agree. I want to keep him, but he may command a lot of dollars. Maybe a lot more than we should give him.

Stay for a $2 million raise, Jeff.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2014, 04:33:35 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

if this topic has turned into Parker vs Rondo, anyone who thinks that Rondo is better in any aspect of the game should go and watch any SAS finals series

Last year though Kwahli stepped up big time.

« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2014, 04:34:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This post rondo team  plus wright is going to be a headache of a team to play against.  Pressure backcourt defense, pfs and centers that can pass better than some guards in the nab,  Jeff Green's coming out party this season. Love the wright addition, bc have added a big thing we been missing in the lineup.   CBS also has so many options and will just have to do his best juggling act.
Wright is an undersized center.  I seem to recall you railing against having undersized centers (which we already have) in your ongoing push to have the C's tank for a higher pick last year and this year.

why the love for an undersized center now, particularly a journeyman?  is it just because he was obtained for your favorite whipping boy?  Wright, Crowder and Nelson are nothing to get excited about and I don't see any of them moving the needle towards making this team any better.  I expect them all to be gone when their contracts expire if not sooner

The pt is we havent had above the rim play/protection since KG. We will get 2, 3 tip ins/dunks we normally would not be able to score, prevent/alter several shots. These things will make a diff in the W,L

I think Zeller is a better defender overall. At the very least they're equal. Wright can block shots but he can't do much else on the defensive end. And I don't see why he's anything different from Zeller offensively.

Wright might be a slight upgrade but he's hardly a foreign player type for this team. Hopefully he can replicate Zeller's terrific play in expanded minutes and Danny can find a new home for him mid-February.

Zeller has been good but he does not have elite length. Ibaka for example could just do turnaround hook shots after turnaround hook shots over zeller and the only way zeller could stop him is foul him,  play over the top D or Ibaka misses.

James harden ability to penetrate at will is another example. Zeller could not slow him down.   Harden has the capability to twist his body in ways to avoid getting his shot blocked. Eventually he just bowls into zeller and gets foul calls after foul falls.

With wright, he has the lenth and above the rim capability to "cheat" and make ibaka have to alter his shot.    Wright is also very good at blocking or altering jump shots. Ibaka now is not automatic to score 20 plus on us. He has been killing us

Harden could drive and try his acrobatic ways to score but he cant shoot around wrights length anymore. Harden starts missing a couple or wright blocks a shot, the refs are less likely to give harden the calls.

A guy like wright can make a difference against matchup like these

You're portraying Wright as some sort of defensive anchor. He blocks a couple of shots and that's pretty much it. He's an average defender who affects the defense in different ways than Zeller but ultimately is no more or less impactful. His defensive statistics are OK. All those who watched him in Dallas on a game-to-game basis rave about his offensive efficiency but warn that his per-36 blocking numbers are just a tease that hide his otherwise unspectacular defensive performance.

Flex watch the game tonight. Like with KO, you can't measure Wrights impact mainly by stats.

There are no stats for "i'm hesitant to drive in with that above the rim hawk waiting around"  or  "tipping balls on the offensive end to keep the play alive".   He will help out with things nobody else on this team is able to do (get that high up above the rim).

Is he going to make "Duncan" like impact?? no. But he is going to help.  When you add players and it can only help your team, that is always a good thing
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 04:40:07 PM by triboy16f »