Author Topic: Has your perspective changed a few days after the deal?  (Read 24944 times)

Re: Has your perspective changed a few days after the deal?
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2014, 01:35:02 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
No.  It was a crap trade.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2014, 01:43:59 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Danny did what had to be done. I love Rondo. Was my favorite player. Still is one of my favorites, along with Pierce and KG still. But i bleed Green. Danny did what he knew what the tough thing to do. We weren't getting Rondo back and i believe that Danny tried to get vets in here to be able to keep Rondo, and he just couldn't close out a deal.

I look forward to seeing what this team can do. Marcus Smart is a guy i am becoming very attached to along with Kelly. Danny has a ton of chips now and hopefully he can get the right pieces in here to be a young contending team for years to come.

« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2014, 01:51:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This post rondo team  plus wright is going to be a headache of a team to play against.  Pressure backcourt defense, pfs and centers that can pass better than some guards in the nba,  Jeff Green's coming out party this season. Love the wright addition, bc have added a big thing we been missing in the lineup.   CBS also has so many options and will just have to do his best juggling act.

« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2014, 02:07:10 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
This post rondo team  plus wright is going to be a headache of a team to play against.  Pressure backcourt defense, pfs and centers that can pass better than some guards in the nab,  Jeff Green's coming out party this season. Love the wright addition, bc have added a big thing we been missing in the lineup.   CBS also has so many options and will just have to do his best juggling act.
Wright is an undersized center.  I seem to recall you railing against having undersized centers (which we already have) in your ongoing push to have the C's tank for a higher pick last year and this year.

why the love for an undersized center now, particularly a journeyman?  is it just because he was obtained for your favorite whipping boy?  Wright, Crowder and Nelson are nothing to get excited about and I don't see any of them moving the needle towards making this team any better.  I expect them all to be gone when their contracts expire if not sooner

« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2014, 02:14:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm curious to hear from someone who believed Ben mclemore or mkg+biyombo was "laughable return" for rondo.   How did you react when you learned we moved rondo for a late 1st and filler?

Has your perspective changed ?

« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2014, 02:16:16 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
This post rondo team  plus wright is going to be a headache of a team to play against.  Pressure backcourt defense, pfs and centers that can pass better than some guards in the nab,  Jeff Green's coming out party this season. Love the wright addition, bc have added a big thing we been missing in the lineup.   CBS also has so many options and will just have to do his best juggling act.
Wright is an undersized center.  I seem to recall you railing against having undersized centers (which we already have) in your ongoing push to have the C's tank for a higher pick last year and this year.

why the love for an undersized center now, particularly a journeyman? is it just because he was obtained for your favorite whipping boy?  Wright, Crowder and Nelson are nothing to get excited about and I don't see any of them moving the needle towards making this team any better.  I expect them all to be gone when their contracts expire if not sooner

Of course it's this.

Rondo could have been traded for multiple second round picks and they'll go "well, there were stars that were picked in the 2nd round, that's a great deal".

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2014, 02:18:40 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I'm curious to hear from someone who believed Ben mclemore or mkg+biyombo was "laughable return" for rondo.   How did you react when you learned we moved rondo for a late 1st and filler?

I still think that's a laughable return for the Rondo we saw 2 years ago.  I really doubt either of those offers were on the table for the Rondo we saw this year.

Mike

« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2014, 02:19:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

why the love for an undersized center now, particularly a journeyman?  is it just because he was obtained for your favorite whipping boy?  Wright, Crowder and Nelson are nothing to get excited about and I don't see any of them moving the needle towards making this team any better.  I expect them all to be gone when their contracts expire if not sooner

The pt is we havent had above the rim play/protection since KG. We will get 2, 3 tip ins/dunks we normally would not be able to score, prevent/alter several shots. These things will make a diff in the W,L

« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2014, 02:45:09 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

The pt is we havent had above the rim play/protection since KG. We will get 2, 3 tip ins/dunks we normally would not be able to score, prevent/alter several shots. These things will make a diff in the W,L

I think Zeller is a better defender overall. At the very least they're equal. Wright can block shots but he can't do much else on the defensive end. And I don't see why he's anything different from Zeller offensively.

Wright might be a slight upgrade but he's hardly a foreign player type for this team. Hopefully he can replicate Zeller's terrific play in expanded minutes and Danny can find a new home for him mid-February.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2014, 03:10:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I think Zeller is a better defender overall. At the very least they're equal. Wright can block shots but he can't do much else on the defensive end. And I don't see why he's anything different from Zeller offensively.

Wright might be a slight upgrade but he's hardly a foreign player type for this team. Hopefully he can replicate Zeller's terrific play in expanded minutes and Danny can find a new home for him mid-February.

Zeller has been good but he does not have elite length. Ibaka for example could just do turnaround hook shots after turnaround hook shots over zeller and the only way zeller could stop him is foul him,  play over the top D or Ibaka misses.

James harden ability to penetrate at will is another example. Zeller could not slow him down.   Harden has the capability to twist his body in ways to avoid getting his shot blocked. Eventually he just bowls into zeller and gets foul calls after foul falls.

With wright, he has the lenth and above the rim capability to "cheat" and make ibaka have to alter his shot.    Wright is also very good at blocking or altering jump shots. Ibaka now is not automatic to score 20 plus on us. He has been killing us

Harden could drive and try his acrobatic ways to score but he cant shoot around wrights length anymore. Harden starts missing a couple or wright blocks a shot, the refs are less likely to give harden the calls.

A guy like wright can make a difference against matchup like these

« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2014, 03:15:03 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I'm going to tuck this lovely tidbit away for future quotes.  I doubt he gets more than 1 tip a game if that much and I will be stunned if he tips the scales for this team towards more wins.  but then again, you just mentioned a difference in w/l which would cover more losses so that will cover your butt.

I await his above-the-rim expertise to be displayed

« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2014, 03:16:27 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

No. Those were terrible ideas and this is just more terrible. Ben Mc and a one seems better, but that other stuff was and remains terrible.

If Tony Parker were wondering out loud about leaving the Spurs you'd never see the Spurs make a panic move and lose a game of chicken like this.

« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2014, 03:19:59 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

No. Those were terrible ideas and this is just more terrible. Ben Mc and a one seems better, but that other stuff was and remains terrible.

If Tony Parker were wondering out loud about leaving the Spurs you'd never see the Spurs make a panic move and lose a game of chicken like this.
Unfortunately Tony Parker has more trade value than Rondo... even in a contract year.  There's a lot of red flags preventing most teams from going after Rondo.  The market was weak.

« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2014, 03:26:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I'm going to tuck this lovely tidbit away for future quotes.  I doubt he gets more than 1 tip a game if that much and I will be stunned if he tips the scales for this team towards more wins.  but then again, you just mentioned a difference in w/l which would cover more losses so that will cover your butt.

I await his above-the-rim expertise to be displayed

We havent brought in another faverani here. All length but no impact. There is a reason the mavs fans are bummed out he got traded

« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2014, 03:32:03 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

Tony Parker can shoot and defend.
Rondo can't.