Author Topic: Has your perspective changed a few days after the deal?  (Read 24912 times)

Re: Has your perspective changed a few days after the deal?
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2014, 02:04:11 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Well, we traded rondo and powell for nelson and two other guys.....powell is a good example of the Celtics draft pick history.....played 5 minutes, then traded.......as if we could not learn by SA popovich' style.....PLAY the guys for a few months....see how they can develop....if you quit on the guy, you prove your drafting picks SUCK...WHO does the draft study.....some part timer....?

So a good game against a bad team......Miami will show us more....the main problem I have with smart is..Rondo was a ball handler day 1......an essential PG skill....Smart isn't a ball handler yet.......he is easily picked or stopped on the dribble.......people say rondo had little offers, if that is so, in free agency, the same no one would have wanted him so we keep him for less money....

Nice to see KO and green go at it last game......did KO just get his FIRST pay check..? You mean he stopped being a lazy 3 point launcher who never followed his shot at 7 feet tall. How long will this new attitude last...? it IS good to see, but he didn't just learn how to play like this over night....what was he waiting for..? I hope it stays but......

Well, Danny DIDN'T draft Powell, the Cavs did.  He came here as part of the Bogans deal.  And considering that we were taking in three guys, we needed to get rid of three, Rondo and two others.  In this case, the two least valuable members of the team, Powell and Fav.  (Fav got waived, probably because the Mavs didn't want him, and the second rounder we got in the deal is probably for including Powell)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2014, 09:46:22 AM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Well, we traded rondo and powell for nelson and two other guys.....powell is a good example of the Celtics draft pick history.....played 5 minutes, then traded.......as if we could not learn by SA popovich' style.....PLAY the guys for a few months....see how they can develop....if you quit on the guy, you prove your drafting picks SUCK...WHO does the draft study.....some part timer....?

So a good game against a bad team......Miami will show us more....the main problem I have with smart is..Rondo was a ball handler day 1......an essential PG skill....Smart isn't a ball handler yet.......he is easily picked or stopped on the dribble.......people say rondo had little offers, if that is so, in free agency, the same no one would have wanted him so we keep him for less money....

Nice to see KO and green go at it last game......did KO just get his FIRST pay check..? You mean he stopped being a lazy 3 point launcher who never followed his shot at 7 feet tall. How long will this new attitude last...? it IS good to see, but he didn't just learn how to play like this over night....what was he waiting for..? I hope it stays but......

Well, Danny DIDN'T draft Powell, the Cavs did.  He came here as part of the Bogans deal.  And considering that we were taking in three guys, we needed to get rid of three, Rondo and two others.  In this case, the two least valuable members of the team, Powell and Fav.  (Fav got waived, probably because the Mavs didn't want him, and the second rounder we got in the deal is probably for including Powell)

you miss the point...Rondo is worth more than nelson......so in a three for three, we actually got used....many players across the league wanted rondo to lead their team.....where are the Celtics last 10 years of draft picks..?

« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2014, 09:51:17 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Nope, it's still a garbage deal.

Did you:

a) think a better deal was available?
b) think a better deal would have been available and Danny should have waited until the deadline?
or c) think Danny should have taken his chances this summer with Rondo?

I doubt a better deal was on the table right now, but I would have waited until at least the deadline.

Thank you, Roy. My thoughts as well.

It's up to Ainge for me to prove that this deal is worthwhile, because as it stands now, I'd really rather wait in the deadline. We may still get a phooey deal like this. Heck, we'd probably still be able to move him in February and get a trade exception and bench players like what we got. We may not have a 1st, but it's most likely a first in the late 20's anyway, not a lot of value on that pick. But I can at least live with the fact that Danny tried hard to get better value instead of settling on this really early

And don't give me "we can flip the guys we acquire now if we do the trade now". If that's the case then I'd rather keep Rondo and flip him by deadline.

Why not?

Maybe he can't, but he needs to at least give himself the flexibility and opportunity.

Ainge has probably been gaging the market on Rondo for quite some time and knew this was the best he was going to get.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2014, 11:13:17 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
My view is still they didn't get anything of significance.  And I hope they didn't screw up letting the Mavs grab Powell too.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/mavs-insisted-getting-powell-rondo-trade-too

« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2014, 11:37:20 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
My view is still they didn't get anything of significance.  And I hope they didn't screw up letting the Mavs grab Powell too.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/mavs-insisted-getting-powell-rondo-trade-too

The best bench big in the league is significant.

« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2014, 11:38:08 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
KO may have stopped worrying about refs-saw him pushing back and initiating contact and getting away with it.Maybe just maybe, he'll get strong .He claims the gym as second home and  maybe just maybe the refs will get the word to let him play and start giving him the calls as our favored player.This was not a strong team.So tonight will be a better test.

« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2014, 11:42:06 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Did you:

b) think a better deal would have been available and Danny should have waited until the deadline?

I doubt a better deal was on the table right now, but I would have waited until at least the deadline.

Two problems with that.

1.  The return on Rondo might have gotten even worse.  Dallas, for example, may have gone after another player or decided making the deal that late in the year didn't give them enough time to rebuild team chemistry.

2.  How do you make any other deals until you know for sure Rondo is gone or what you get back for him in trade?

Mike

« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2014, 12:05:17 PM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
Sad to see Rondo go, but more optimistic about Wright and Crowder and of course having another first round pick even if it doesn't come until 2016. 

« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2014, 12:30:37 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Did you:

Thank you, Roy. My thoughts as well.

It's up to Ainge for me to prove that this deal is worthwhile, because as it stands now, I'd really rather wait in the deadline. We may still get a phooey deal like this. Heck, we'd probably still be able to move him in February and get a trade exception and bench players like what we got. We may not have a 1st, but it's most likely a first in the late 20's anyway, not a lot of value on that pick. But I can at least live with the fact that Danny tried hard to get better value instead of settling on this really early

And don't give me "we can flip the guys we acquire now if we do the trade now". If that's the case then I'd rather keep Rondo and flip him by deadline.

Why not?

Maybe he can't, but he needs to at least give himself the flexibility and opportunity.

Ainge has probably been gaging the market on Rondo for quite some time and knew this was the best he was going to get.

Because now, we're flipping bench players instead of flipping Rondo.

I don't care how low his value is right now, it's still Rajon Rondo. Now, we're going to try to flip reserves instead.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2014, 12:33:04 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Marcus Smart is the key to the fast recovery .  He is amazing for a guard his age......remember how bad AB was his first couple years . 

Smart is just a good shooting away from being actually good. He's already defensively locked on. And while he's making mistakes, he's going to learn.

If he develops a good shot, lookout.

At 20 yrs old, and with his work ethic, would you bet against him that he doesn't find his shot ?

I wouldn't.

Me neither. He's actually the only one I'm looking at when I think about this deal right now.

I'm thinking if he turns into borderline All Star PG with great defense, the deal wouldnt be as garbage for me in a sense that, sure, we took garbage, but atleast with that, we gave Smart the floor to shine.

« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2014, 12:38:04 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Marcus Smart is the key to the fast recovery .  He is amazing for a guard his age......remember how bad AB was his first couple years . 

Smart is just a good shooting away from being actually good. He's already defensively locked on. And while he's making mistakes, he's going to learn.

At 20 yrs old, and with his work ethic, would you bet against him that he doesn't find his shot ?

I wouldn't.

Me neither. He's actually the only one I'm looking at when I think about this deal right now.

I'm thinking if he turns into borderline All Star PG with great defense, the deal wouldnt be as garbage for me in a sense that, sure, we took garbage, but atleast with that, we gave Smart the floor to shine.

TP ......that's the same conclusion and bottom line for me moving on . 

I'll be wearing the Smart jersey ....my Rondo is retired . :'(

« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2014, 12:42:23 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I wouldn't.

Ditto

$10 DOLLAR JERSEY!  ;D

« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2014, 01:03:13 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
This trade is only the final domino in a number of steps that boxed us into this situation.  First Danny thought that he could keep Rondo and attract/trade for a key star player.  That seemed like a good plan to many but it didn't work.  We didn't get Love being the highlight of the failed plan.

Then Ainge appeared to believe that Rondo was going to have his best year ever and that we would be good, have assets, could keep Rondo, trade assets, and have a good team.  Danny was wrong about this too because Rondo did not have his best year ever (actually regressed) and it further appears that Rondo was not going to resign with a bad team.

So then after Plan A and Plan B didn't pan out, Ainge was left with rushing to trade Rondo before the deadline before the deadline or continue to play it out with the hope that his value would increase as the real trade deadline approach.  I actually thought they would get better value by waiting but now of course I am not so sure.

I don't think Ainge's handling of Rondo as an asset can be given high marks.  I don't feel it is a calamity but probably no better than disappointing.  Overall though, I am still for betting on Ainge as a good GM.  No GM is going to be able to handle every situation/asset to achieve an A+.  I feel Ainge didn't do well in this class but his overall GPA is still pretty good, maybe even Dean's list relative to the rest of the NBA.

« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2014, 01:05:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I wouldn't.

Ditto

$10 DOLLAR JERSEY!  ;D

Just keep it. Dont sell it

« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2014, 01:27:09 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

That probably says more about the Mavs' bench than anything else. They're also "pursuing" Jermaine O'Neal.