Author Topic: Has your perspective changed a few days after the deal?  (Read 24940 times)

Re: Has your perspective changed a few days after the deal?
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2014, 07:23:18 PM »

Offline Rondohara

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
The trade was horrible (still is) and it's surprising some find it good (other then the chronicle Rondo haters that is), but not everyone has the same views, the same knowledge, intelligence etc.

If you want to reevaluate with hindsight you would have to wait a few years, not a few days.
Goal for next season: Top 2 seed.
Say goodbye to: Turner, Zeller, Sully.

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2014, 07:28:54 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Nope, perspective still the same, Ainge got hosed.

He would have been better off to either let Rondo walk or work out a similar deal this summer in a sign-and-trade. Ainge panicked and paid the price.

But as angry as I am about it, I'm over it. At least I don't have to listen to anymore Rondo-bashing, oh wait...yeah somewhere LarBrd33 and his troop of trolls are out there ready to go to battle.

Hopefully in another twenty years or so I'll still be alive to see another title.
Really, the only legitimate argument that can be made to that Danny should have just let rondo walk.  What would the point have been to sign and trade rondo in the summer rather than now?  And no, rondo is nowhere near a max player; so forget about that one. 

So did we get negative value?  That is, would it have been better to just let rondo wallk?  I don't think so.  Still got something, which i think in this case is better than nothing.

Yes it would've been better to let Rondo walk than to get garbage.

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2014, 07:34:44 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I know people keep saying that's all RR was worth but you keep forgetting one huge reason why that is. RR has to go to a situation where he is likely to sign this summer or some team willing to take such a huge risk. If RR was willing to re-sign with any team, there is no doubt in my mind we bring in more for him. Coming up on his FA, RR held a lot of power even though DA could trade him.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2014, 07:41:43 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Nope, it's still a garbage deal.

Did you:

a) think a better deal was available?
b) think a better deal would have been available and Danny should have waited until the deadline?
or c) think Danny should have taken his chances this summer with Rondo?

I doubt a better deal was on the table right now, but I would have waited until at least the deadline.

As you saw last year, nobody was willing to give up firsts at the deadline. I think he made the right call, & it also gives him a way to see what packages like Green, Wright, and a first could net him.

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2014, 08:16:36 PM »

Offline TheBig3

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 18
The trade was horrible (still is) and it's surprising some find it good (other then the chronicle Rondo haters that is), but not everyone has the same views, the same knowledge, intelligence etc.

If you want to reevaluate with hindsight you would have to wait a few years, not a few days.
I agree a few days is too soon, but I few years is way overboard especially if Danny flips pieces he received into something else in the next few months.

Also want to point out the irony that you are a rondo fan at the Brandon wright level....

« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2014, 08:20:06 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

I agree a few days is too soon, but I few years is way overboard especially if Danny flips pieces he received into something else in the next few months.

Also want to point out the irony that you are a rondo fan at the Brandon wright level....

Agreed in terms of letting Danny work his magic on the asset return but the emotional impact has worn off a little bit. Wondering if people's opinion has changed after the dust has somewhat settled.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2014, 08:22:24 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Did you:

b) think a better deal would have been available and Danny should have waited until the deadline?

I doubt a better deal was on the table right now, but I would have waited until at least the deadline.

Thank you, Roy. My thoughts as well.

It's up to Ainge for me to prove that this deal is worthwhile, because as it stands now, I'd really rather wait in the deadline. We may still get a phooey deal like this. Heck, we'd probably still be able to move him in February and get a trade exception and bench players like what we got. We may not have a 1st, but it's most likely a first in the late 20's anyway, not a lot of value on that pick. But I can at least live with the fact that Danny tried hard to get better value instead of settling on this really early

And don't give me "we can flip the guys we acquire now if we do the trade now". If that's the case then I'd rather keep Rondo and flip him by deadline.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2014, 08:31:35 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Marcus Smart is the key to the fast recovery .  He is amazing for a guard his age......remember how bad AB was his first couple years . 

Smart brings a total all in , win attitude every second he is on the court.   He ll make his team better because of his KG like fight .  , maybe more than his skills ...or the Rondo fancy pass. 

We have a nice core of Power forwards and Zeller .

Still need that dominate Tim Duncan , Drummond, Gasol big man to destroy the other teams interior game.

Surely Danny has enough assets and cap space coming up to ...to Max out a star center from a slumping team.

Need to see the C's win against a GOOD team or play a winning team .

Stevens LOOKS more confident ....I suspect Rondo was a bit of a power struggle with him.

Stevens can now mold this team totally in his own way .....the young guys will accept him as their leader and follow his plan.

Stevens seems to be calling a better game against T Wolves.

Need more games to mold the team .

« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2014, 08:41:48 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Marcus Smart is the key to the fast recovery .  He is amazing for a guard his age......remember how bad AB was his first couple years . 

Smart is just a good shooting away from being actually good. He's already defensively locked on. And while he's making mistakes, he's going to learn.

If he develops a good shot, lookout.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2014, 08:41:58 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Did you:

As you saw last year, nobody was willing to give up firsts at the deadline. I think he made the right call, & it also gives him a way to see what packages like Green, Wright, and a first could net him.

If singular [average] first round picks net players of Rondo's caliber, we should be able to put together a pretty amazing team in the next couple of years. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of confidence that it will for us in reverse.

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2014, 08:58:44 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I think I'm going to wear out my Marcus Smart shirt .....with Rondo s exit , Smart has vaulted to the top as my favorite current CELTIC . ;D

I bought the shirt at the Garden weeks ago ..thinking my Rondo stuff  might become outdated...as a backup....LOL ..turns out I was prepared.

So......let the Marcus Smart era begin  :)

« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2014, 09:18:45 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Has your perspective on the Rondo trade changed? Have you warmed up to the return?
only thing that's changed is the information that Rondo wanted out but was being discreet.  with that info, I now understand Danny's need to trade him.

What we received was pure crap. worse than what we received in the first Antoine trade.
We got:
1) a washed up Jameer Nelson who we'll be stuck with for another year.
2) a journeyman undersized center that can block shots but has no offense to speak of other than garbage points around the basket
3) a "3 and D" forward that has an inconsistent 3.
4) a first rounder that's so heavily protected we won't receive it until next year when we already have 3 other first rounders.  Granted they could be worse next year or they could be better after resigning Rondo and having the rest of this year to gel.  in all likelihood, the pick will be in the high 20's.
5) a second rounder next year when we already have 3 others. 
6) a trade exception over $13 mill that we may not be able to use if we can't find someone willing to trade a player making that kind of money

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2014, 12:25:59 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Smart is just a good shooting away from being actually good. He's already defensively locked on. And while he's making mistakes, he's going to learn.

If he develops a good shot, lookout.

At 20 yrs old, and with his work ethic, would you bet against him that he doesn't find his shot ?

I wouldn't.

« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2014, 12:58:34 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I find it even more disgusting days later.  That trade was awful.  AWFUL.

Ditto, lol. ;D TP

« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2014, 01:58:07 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Well, thinking about it no longer makes me physically ill, so... yes?
I'm bitter.