Author Topic: Has your perspective changed a few days after the deal?  (Read 24943 times)

Re: Has your perspective changed a few days after the deal?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 03:51:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Nope, it's still a garbage deal.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 03:53:52 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
Nope, I've been thinking for weeks that Brandan Wright and a poo poo platter of assets is what we were going to end up with

Dang you soooooooo smart.

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2014, 03:56:12 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Nope, it's still a garbage deal.

Did you:

a) think a better deal was available?
b) think a better deal would have been available and Danny should have waited until the deadline?
or c) think Danny should have taken his chances this summer with Rondo?

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 04:12:24 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Nope, I've been thinking for weeks that Brandan Wright and a poo poo platter of assets is what we were going to end up with

Dang you soooooooo smart.

Sorry it's true, I just thought the Mavs were the team that made sense and that was the only deal they could make. It's not that I identified Bradan Wright as the target, but The Mavs as the team and what else could they have offered?

I have no evidence to support my claim, wasn't trying to pump my tires, just really annoyed at all the negativity surrounding the deal.

EDIT: especially angsty that so many Boston fans and Media members are acting like they speak for everyone in this town. Not every one thinks this deal sucked, never have been upset at this deal, if that makes me a minority... I'll at least be a vocal one.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 04:33:47 PM by Smartacus »

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2014, 04:19:15 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
jambr380 -

I just did another post. If we now end up trading Green, Bass and Wallace which I think would give us a high probability of landing a top three pick and potential franchise center, could that end up being the highest long term value of this trade if it happened?

Hypothetical

Towns / Zeller
Olynyk / Sullinger
Work to do here / Crowder
Young / Bradley
Smart / Turner / Pressey

1. Towns, Olynyk and Smart the cornerstone
2. Ample draft picks over the next four years to keep re-stocking the team
3. "Major" cap space to land an elite scorer at SF...

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2014, 04:19:28 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Not disappointed...at all.  Rondo was making NO difference on THIS team. We will see this moving forward. He will make a great jump shooting Dallas team better. Wright will either help us by being flipped or being an athletic big capable of changing shots and finishing strong (werent we all calling for that for 3 years now?)

smart, KO, Green, and others will benefit from this trade... and our team will do just what it did WITH Rondo:  look great at times, be awful for a quarter or two.. and be inconsistent. This will end up being a decent deal. Sometimes you cant evaluate trades by comparing just players. Assets count too. Not only that, but its not like we had a bunch of destinations to choose from.

Everyone, including Rondo, is in a better spot right now.

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2014, 04:29:33 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
No. Unless that TPE turns into something good.

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2014, 04:36:17 PM »

Offline ViolentGhandi

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
jambr380 -

I just did another post. If we now end up trading Green, Bass and Wallace which I think would give us a high probability of landing a top three pick and potential franchise center, could that end up being the highest long term value of this trade if it happened?

Hypothetical

Towns / Zeller
Olynyk / Sullinger
Work to do here / Crowder
Young / Bradley
Smart / Turner / Pressey

1. Towns, Olynyk and Smart the cornerstone
2. Ample draft picks over the next four years to keep re-stocking the team
3. "Major" cap space to land an elite scorer at SF...

thats just rich - below 10%  <> high probability - I rather have Green than be sad

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2014, 04:47:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It will take more than a single game for people to change their mind on this.   If Boston plays better and Dallas falls apart, opinions will change.

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2014, 04:53:37 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
It was a bad deal. Then again losing Rondo means nothing to this team and we don´t have to endure any more trade Rondo/Rondo sucks threads. Rondo is an amazing player, but with this team he was redundant.

I bet Tyson Chandler is happy, you all saw what Rondo did with Zeller.

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2014, 04:53:57 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I think there's a difference between viewing the trade as yielding little in return, and viewing Ainge as having screwed up.

It's been said over and over, but the market for Rondo was just not there, for all kinds of reasons. So, we didn't get a whole lot back. But I don't think that's Ainge's fault. Nor can he really be criticized for waiting too long. Once Rondo tore his ACL the outcome was largely out of Ainge's control...as low as Rondo's value was two days ago, it was probably even lower last year, and Ainge benefited by waiting to see whether "peak Rondo" would return.

We may all have been spoiled a little bit by the KG/Pierce/Doc trades, which in retrospect seem like big winners. But there aren't a lot of crazy GMs out there these days, particularly running contenders (which were target teams for Rondo).

I'll reserve judgment on Ainge's performance this year until we see what happens with Green, Bass, Wright and the other players he is probably trying to move as we speak. Green in particular is intriguing as there are fewer good SFs than good PGs right now, and there are several contenders looking for help on the wings.

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2014, 04:54:31 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Obviously the Rondo deal stunk as it symbolized the end of trying to pull a Ray-KG and immediately contending for a title.

However it seems like some posters' unhappiness with Ainge is wearing off. There seems to be less of a blame game being played and more disappointment directed at the reality of the situation (Rondo was going to leave, Ainge couldn't find another star to pair him with, etc.).

Has your perspective on the Rondo trade changed? Have you warmed up to the return? Are you confident in Danny's ability to consolidate assets like the large TPE we received with our stash of 1sts and 2nds for exciting talent? What's your thoughts on this team, i.e. are we going somewhere, or just floating in the wind?

What's there to be unhappy about ? The guy isn't even a top 10 point guard in the league anymore and is getting the max. You had to trade him in order to avoid getting nothing.

The parts are great. Specifically adding another pick in a loaded 16' draft, Wright, & Crowder. Wright is a solid 5 man to throw into the rotation, & Crowder is a prototypical glue guy who immediately is one of the best defenders on the team.

With cap space, youth, & picks galore, sky is the limit.  Ainge has the ability to rebuild this thing into a playoff monster.

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2014, 05:08:04 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Obviously the Rondo deal stunk as it symbolized the end of trying to pull a Ray-KG and immediately contending for a title.

However it seems like some posters' unhappiness with Ainge is wearing off. There seems to be less of a blame game being played and more disappointment directed at the reality of the situation (Rondo was going to leave, Ainge couldn't find another star to pair him with, etc.).

Has your perspective on the Rondo trade changed? Have you warmed up to the return? Are you confident in Danny's ability to consolidate assets like the large TPE we received with our stash of 1sts and 2nds for exciting talent? What's your thoughts on this team, i.e. are we going somewhere, or just floating in the wind?

Great questions.

I hated the trade when it was first announced but I am slowly accommodating myself to it.

The primary reason to hate the trade is undoubtably because of a certain segment of the anti-Rondo crowd on this forum.  Their smugness and lack of civility has me convinced that any side they are on is the wrong one.

More to the point, I think it was a conservative move by Ainge.  Clearly, he had doubts about retaining Rondo long-term.  To me, this acknowledges that Ainge didn't believe he could attract (through FA or trades) star players to play beside Rondo and that our current young players weren't going to develop into star players to play beside Rondo. 

As long as Rondo was here one could believe that our 2007 moment was around the corner and we could instantly be transformed into a contender.  However, now it seems that we have returned to the 2003 moment (literally trading an all-star to Dallas again).  The teams during Ainge's early years were not always fun, good or watchable.  Furthermore, there was a lost in the wilderness quality to those years as it hardly seemed there was "a plan" (because there wasn't).  Ainge of course redeemed those god awful teams in 2007.  However, I loathe to go through it again.

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2014, 05:11:15 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I am less upset after a few days. I trust Ainge that he took the best offer available. While we probably should have traded him earlier, his injury came in the year that typically is when a player nets the biggest return.

The better Smart plays the better I will feel about the deal.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2014, 05:25:15 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
The better Smart plays the better I will feel about the deal.

Smart is the alphadog.