Author Topic: Has your perspective changed a few days after the deal?  (Read 24941 times)

Has your perspective changed a few days after the deal?
« on: December 20, 2014, 02:50:17 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Obviously the Rondo deal stunk as it symbolized the end of trying to pull a Ray-KG and immediately contending for a title.

However it seems like some posters' unhappiness with Ainge is wearing off. There seems to be less of a blame game being played and more disappointment directed at the reality of the situation (Rondo was going to leave, Ainge couldn't find another star to pair him with, etc.).

Has your perspective on the Rondo trade changed? Have you warmed up to the return? Are you confident in Danny's ability to consolidate assets like the large TPE we received with our stash of 1sts and 2nds for exciting talent? What's your thoughts on this team, i.e. are we going somewhere, or just floating in the wind?

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

Re: Has your perspective changed a few days after the deal?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 02:57:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Has your perspective on the Rondo trade changed? Have you warmed up to the return?
No
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 03:09:59 PM by Who »

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 02:58:59 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Obviously the Rondo deal stunk as it symbolized the end of trying to pull a Ray-KG and immediately contending for a title.

However it seems like some posters' unhappiness with Ainge is wearing off. There seems to be less of a blame game being played and more disappointment directed at the reality of the situation (Rondo was going to leave, Ainge couldn't find another star to pair him with, etc.).

Has your perspective on the Rondo trade changed? Have you warmed up to the return? Are you confident in Danny's ability to consolidate assets like the large TPE we received with our stash of 1sts and 2nds for exciting talent? What's your thoughts on this team, i.e. are we going somewhere, or just floating in the wind?

I was never mad at Ainge, but more disappointed at what Rondo was worth, apparently. Also, after realizing the next day that it was essentially the '16 pick we got instead of what will be pick #26 in the '15 draft, my grief was somewhat assuaged. A lot can happen to a 36 year old German between now and then.

As for "floating in the wind", I prefer it that way for now. Having a definitive direction at this point would be a limitation more than anything.

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 02:59:30 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm waiting to see how the Mavs do, but generally no.

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 03:00:21 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
What's your thoughts on this team, i.e. are we going somewhere, or just floating in the wind?
With or without Rondo, the team has a bright future.

The road to that future is what has changed.

It was a shorter road with Rondo here. A plan based on trading youth for vets and acquiring big name FAs. The future was sooner with Rondo here. Without Rondo, it is the long rebuild ahead. They'll get to the same place ... it'll just take longer to get there. Got to be bad for awhile and build up more young talent via the draft

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 03:02:47 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I'm waiting to see what we do with the trade exception and assets we got from this deal. If we use them by the trade deadline to get something really good then yes, if not then no.

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 03:07:41 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I have come to realize that the main asset in the deal was really the TPE. I am not happy with the deal and wish we could have at least made a deal with Houston for Pelicans pick and Capela, but if Ainge brings in a fringe star after with the TPE after signing a couple of other top free agents, then you can include that player as part of the package that came back in the Rondo deal.

I do think we need to find homes for Bass and Wallace, though. It's going to be a pretty crowded bench if we don't. I doubt that we will be 'that' bad so I am okay with holding on to Green unless we can get a return that is considerably better than Rondo's (which I do think is possible).

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 03:09:17 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

The Rondo deal was great.
God bless Danny Ainge.

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 03:10:19 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
who's out there that we can target with the trade exception by the trade deadline?

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 03:10:50 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I was never mad at Ainge, but more disappointed at what Rondo was worth, apparently. Also, after realizing the next day that it was essentially the '16 pick we got instead of what will be pick #26 in the '15 draft, my grief was somewhat assuaged. A lot can happen to a 36 year old German between now and then.

As for "floating in the wind", I prefer it that way for now. Having a definitive direction at this point would be a limitation more than anything.

I actually think we should call it 'ability to change direction quickly' instead of blowing in the wind.  But I absolutely agree with you.  Until we get the next big alpha dog / great player we are probably best served not tied to anything. 

I was also disappointed with what we got in return, and that I felt (differently that most here) that an expiring rondo contract isn't a big problem especially if we just get players back that we have to move in different trades either way.  The trade exception might be helpful, but lots don't get used.  The pick might be good, but more likely the mavs will still be good next year so we are looking at a pick in the 20s.  Eh DA knows way more about this than I do, and most of us on this board so you just gotta roll with it and hope for some good luck.

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 03:14:41 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Yes.

Emotions got into me. I still think we gave up Rondo for very little, but unlike two days ago, I'm now in this idea of wait and see.

At face value I don't like it. But after calming down, I'm at least on the mindset that it may take a year or two to figure out if the trade was worth it or not. I'm not positive about it though, but compare to two days ago, I'm giving it a chance now.

Here's hoping that Wright is as good as a couple of posters think he is. Or we could use the TPE and the (what I believed to be) late first round pick turns into something positive.

If not, I'd be really upset with Danny Ainge.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 03:21:56 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I find it even more disgusting days later.  That trade was awful.  AWFUL.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 03:31:24 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Yes.

Emotions got into me. I still think we gave up Rondo for very little, but unlike two days ago, I'm now in this idea of wait and see.

At face value I don't like it. But after calming down, I'm at least on the mindset that it may take a year or two to figure out if the trade was worth it or not. I'm not positive about it though, but compare to two days ago, I'm giving it a chance now.

Here's hoping that Wright is as good as a couple of posters think he is. Or we could use the TPE and the (what I believed to be) late first round pick turns into something positive.

If not, I'd be really upset with Danny Ainge.

Same.Upset then because I thought the Rockets were legitimately a contender for Rondo which in my mind brought their Pelican s first this year into play as well as possibly T Jones. Boy was I delusional and also screw Morey.

In retrospect Rondo didn't fit into Stevens system and that coupled with the Cavs sickening draft luck and Love going there pretty much sealed Rondo's fate.

I have faith in Ainge.

I also think that Rondos absence makes this competitive group come together even more than before and they were pretty tight before.

Also, I see Green stepping up and having more confidence and assuming more responsibility with Rondo gone. Lots of positives I didn't see in my disappointment and anger.

Boy, that was cathartic.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 07:09:55 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 03:37:54 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

And they also have to decide if they are going to resign Tyson Chandler who will be 33.

Also, Rondo will be 29-30 which is old for a point guard.

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 03:43:56 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Nope, I've been thinking for weeks that Brandan Wright and a poo poo platter of assets is what we were going to end up with and I'm happy that Rondo ended up in a great situation.

I personally don't believe that Houston was ever serious about their offers but were just trying to drive the price up on The Mavs. Rondo and Harden is a poor fit and I think they're just fine with Beverly at that spot.

After our historic return for Pierce and Garnett I never felt that this was the deal we needed to really cash in on. I'm glad Danny got this done quickly and quietly before it became a distraction to the team.

About the only real loser I see from this trade is Zeller. I still think he's good but I wish he somehow ended up on the Mavs with Rondo since it was clear that they were working so well together. Instead he now has to compete with Brandan Wright, right as his career was beginning to build some momentum. Tough break.