Author Topic: Celtics have 8 picks in the 2016 NBA Draft  (Read 22718 times)

Celtics have 8 picks in the 2016 NBA Draft
« on: December 20, 2014, 10:49:07 AM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

Here is a link that details all draft picks that have been traded and acquired by each team in the NBA.

I did the math, while making two assumptions:

1. The 76ers will not make the playoffs this year. Which means will we acquire their 2015 and 2016 2nd round draft choices.

2. The Mavericks will maintain their current seed or better. The maverick's pick is protected 1-3, 15-30 in 2015. Which means we will likely receive their 1st rounder in 2016 (when it is protected 1-7 only)

The Celtics will likely have 8 draft picks in the 2016 NBA Draft:

- 1st Rounder (BOS)
- 1st Rounder (BKN)
- 1st Rounder (DAL)
- 1st Rounder (CLE)
- 2nd Rounder (PHI)  <--- Likely to be near to top of the 2nd round again next year.
- 2nd Rounder (CLE)
- 2nd Rounder (MIA)
- 2nd Rounder (DAL/MEM)  <--- We get the more favorable of the two possibilities.

Fingers crossed that the 2016 draft isn't garbage!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 11:44:52 AM by beantownboy171 »

Re: Celtics have 8 pick in the 2016 NBA Draft
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 10:54:01 AM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
Fun Fact:

The Celtics will be making 13.33% of the selections in 2016. (8 out of 60)

When you distribute the remaining selections (52) among the 29 other teams then each team will be making roughly 3% of the selections per franchise. (1.79 out of 60)

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 10:54:46 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

Here is a link that details all draft picks that have been traded and acquired by each team in the NBA.

I did the math, while making two assumptions:

1. The 76ers will not make the playoffs this year. Which means will we acquire their 2015 and 2016 2nd round draft choices.

2. The Mavericks will maintain their current seed or better. The maverick's pick is protected 1-3, 15-30 in 2015. Which means we will likely receive their 1st rounder in 2016 (when it is protected 1-7 only)

The Celtics will likely have 8 draft picks in the 2016 NBA Draft:

- 1st Rounder (BOS)
- 1st Rounder (BKN)
- 1st Rounder (DAL)
- 1st Rounder (CLE)
- 2nd Rounder (PHI)  <--- Likely to be near to top of the 2nd round again next year.
- 2nd Rounder (CLE)
- 2nd Rounder (MIA)
- 2nd Rounder (DAL/MEM)  <--- We get the more favorable of the two possibilities.

Fingers crossed that the 2016 draft isn't garbage!
Can't wait for the 2016 draft!

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 10:58:26 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Picks are not worth what they used to be.

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 10:58:50 AM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
Every time a  talented prospect doesn't declare for the draft in 2015, the celtics win.

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 11:00:07 AM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
Why is that?

I mean maybe at this point the Celtics are a little flooded with first rounders. But I think across the league first rounders are as valuable as ever.

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 11:10:00 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
Why is that?

I mean maybe at this point the Celtics are a little flooded with first rounders. But I think across the league first rounders are as valuable as ever.
and the last time i checked, picks are still used to select players for a team. did that change?  ;)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 11:48:50 AM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 11:17:50 AM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
Why is that?

and the last time i checked, picks are still used to select players for a team. did that change?
Yeah, I think there's a general feeling at this point that because the Celtic's have so many draft picks that we are approaching a point where it is becoming overkill.

I think that's a valid thing to point out (we have 12 draft picks in two years + Smart, Young, Bradley, Zeller, Sullinger, Olynyk, Green if we extend him.)

But the bottom line is there is value in the draft. It's where you build your roster. And with the number of unprotected selections we have in the next few years, we have all but guaranteed that we will be able to continue to add young talent.

It's naive to think all 8 of these picks will turn into something of value. But you could say the same thing about a team with 2 draft picks.

We're playing a game of percentages here.

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 11:24:07 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Better hope Silver/NBA doesn't change the college rule from 1 to 2 years minimum before being eligible for the draft after 2015 draft but before the 2016 draft.  That would really hurt its value. A lot....

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 11:26:10 AM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
Better hope Silver/NBA doesn't change the college rule from 1 to 2 years minimum before being eligible for the draft after 2015 draft but before the 2016 draft.  That would really hurt its value. A lot....
Yeah, that's something to have anxiety over I think.

We'll hear more about that around draft time i'm sure.

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 11:29:12 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

I saw him interviewed on espn last week. They asked him what's going on with the age thing . He said absolutely nothing right now because the players union would have to agree on it and the talks about it are pretty much dead at the moment.

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 11:30:35 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Every time a  talented prospect doesn't declare for the draft in 2015, the celtics win.
tp
Well it would help if: Dallas signs RR to the max and things turn to crap and an aging Dirk is not enough to get them into the playoffs....
BKN can't get rid of their big 3 for anything meaningful and they are a top 5 pick.
And we challenge 76ers for worst record, but not because we do not try hard but because we are playing our younger guys and seeing meaningful development.

basically I am looking for everything to go in our favor for once.

Re: Celtics have 8 picks in the 2016 NBA Draft
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 11:49:07 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
here is an interested set of points on having soooo many picks, some which i saw over on SOSH. the celtics are about to face a major roster crunch from having too many young players with guaranteed contracts.

aside from 2015, keep in mind as noted above that in 2016 the celtics have another 4 first round picks and 4 2nd round picks. (please check me on this since it seems an almost absurd amount of picks.)

even with free agents leaving, contracts expiring, blah, that means the celtics have 3-4 players more than you'd expect to have in your regular rotation due to first rounder alone.  also, i haven't included possible veteran signings or the likelihood that a credible player might come out of one of 2nd rounders.  and i expect ainge to score on at least one of his second rounders.

the point here is that there will be a roster crunch pretty quickly...simply too many guaranteed contracts are on the immediate horizon. 

so, what solutions are there for this embarrassment of riches?

one possible solution is the obvious one - package them for a smaller number of very high picks.  the straightforward answer is, of course, simple ... trade a bundle of the so-so picks for something in the top 5. that solution leads us to this interesting study done on the value of draft picks.

fivethirtyeight.com did a study (http://fivethirtyeig...y-really-worth/) suggesting that the proper value for four non-lottery first rounders is approximately the third and fourth picks in a typical draft.  ok, but that strikes me as more than most GMs would actually give the celtics. picks that high up in the draft are valued too highly by most GMs who are all praying for the next lebron. so while tempting, this is an unlikely scenario. so let's look at other possible scenarios.

next would be for ainge to package his many pennies, nickels, and dimes for a smaller number of quarters and dollars. that is, as with the KG and ray trades, use the first rounders with other assets to grab the big star. this reduces the roster crunch. ainge has done an incredible job of acquiring a range of resources, including picks, a range of salaries, TE, etc. and ainge is one of the most "wheeling and dealing" GMs in the nba. he is a gambler and now he has chips to play with.

third, ainge might simple play leapfrog with the picks, ala the play for olly last year. for example, use picks 22 and 24 to grab a player at 17. or use 10 and 20 to move up to 8. if another team at 8 thinks their player will still there at 10, they will probably bite on such an offer. while this may not place the celtics in the top 5 picks, it does allow ainge the chance to grab a great player that is falling...and as we know with pierce and rondo, sometimes that happens.

a fourth option is open to ainge, one in which there's more value in keeping the picks, though that may bring us back to the problem of the pending roster crunch.  it may be wise to draw upon one of danny's true talents - spotting talent in the late-first-round. danny's been good at finding late first-round gems and with so many such picks, it might be more sensible to take players with question marks and high upside like marvelous-melo (tm), rondo, and sullinger, knowing that it's a good thing to miss some of the time. remember, the nba average for getting a credible player late in the first round is around 25%, danny does better historically. this means that the celtics would select "high risk, high ceiling" players intentionally betting that half or more would never last in the nba. danny would swing for the fences with each and every pick and say "screw it" to selecting nice, safe role players.

final option, i suppose keeping players overseas for a season or two is another option. but this only postpones the pending roster crunch, which while better than nothing, does not resolve it. nor are there enough good players would be a fit here, but it is one possibilty.

so, after all that, i ask the collective wisdom of cb - what's the best plan here? package assets?  or be like big papi and swing for the fences with most of these picks and assume that you'll hit on some, miss on others?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 11:56:57 AM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 11:52:14 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Not quite - we've got plenty of picks in 2015 as well.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 11:57:11 AM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
here is an interested set of points on having soooo many picks, some which i saw over on SOSH. the celtics are about to face a major roster crunch from having too many young players with guaranteed contracts.

aside from 2015, keep in mind that in 2016 the celtics have another 4 first round picks and 4 2nd round picks. (please check me on this since it seems an almost absurd amount of picks.)

even with free agents leaving, contracts expiring, blah, that means the celtics have 3-4 players more than you'd expect to have in your regular rotation due to first rounder alone.  also, i haven't included possible veteran signings or the likelihood that a credible player might come out of one of 2nd rounders.  and i expect ainge to score on at least one of his second rounders.

the point here is that there will be a roster crunch pretty quickly...simply too many guaranteed contracts are on the immediate horizon. 

so, what solutions are there for this embarrassment of riches?

one possible solution is the obvious one - package them for a smaller number of very high picks.  the straightforward answer is, of course, simple ... trade a bundle of the so-so picks for something in the top 5. that solution leads us to this interesting study done on the value of draft picks.

fivethirtyeight.com did a study (http://fivethirtyeig...y-really-worth/) suggesting that the proper value for four non-lottery first rounders is approximately the third and fourth picks in a typical draft.  ok, but that strikes me as more than most GMs would actually give the celtics. picks that high up in the draft are valued too highly by most GMs who are all praying for the next lebron. so while tempting, this is an unlikely scenario. so let's look at other possible scenarios.

next would be for ainge to package his many pennies, nickels, and dimes for a smaller number of quarters and dollars. that is, as with the KG and ray trades, use the first rounders with other assets to grab the big star. this reduces the roster crunch. ainge has done an incredible job of acquiring a range of resources, including picks, a range of salaries, TE, etc. and ainge is one of the most "wheeling and dealing" GMs in the nba. he is a gambler and now he has chips to play with.

third, ainge might simple play leapfrog with the picks, ala the play for olly last year. for example, use picks 22 and 24 to grab a play at 17. or use 10 and 20 to move up to 8. if another team at 8 thinks their player will still there at 10, they will probably bit on such an offer. while this may not place the celtics in the top 5 picks, it does allow ainge the change to grab a great player that is falling...and as we know with pierce and rondo, sometimes that happens.

a fourth option is open to ainge, one in which there's more value in keeping the picks, though that may bring us back to the problem of the pending roster crunch.  it may be wise to draw upon one of danny's true talents - spotting talent in the late-first-round. danny's been good at finding late first-round gems and with so many such picks, it might be more sensible to take players with question marks and high upside like marvelous-melo (tm), rondo, and sullinger, knowing that it's a good thing to miss some of the time. remember, the nba average for getting a credible player late in the first round is around 25%, danny does better historically. this means that the celtics would select "high risk, high ceiling" players intentionally betting that half or more would never last in the nba. danny would swing for the fences with each and every pick and say "screw it" to selecting nice, safe role players.

final option, i suppose keeping players overseas for a season or two is another option. but this only postpones the pending roster crunch, which while better than nothing, does not resolve it. nor are there enough good players would be fit, but it is one possibilty.

so, after all that, i ask the collective wisdom of cb - what's the best plan here? package assets?  or be like big papi and swing for the fences with most of these picks and assume that you'll hit on some, miss on others?
1. Yeah, if you look back at my OP i have all 8 picks in 2016 listed out. It is absurd.

But yeah I think the answer is all of the above. You have to do a little of everything to make good use of this stockpile of picks. I think Ainge will leapfrog selections much more often than he has done in the past.

I agree that trading far up into the draft is pretty unprecedented, and will likely only happen if we have a pick at the back-end of the lottery to use as a trade chip. But it's something to keep your eye on.

European talent will be the real challenge for Ainge. He has never really dipped into the European talent pool in the past. But Ainge will likely be forced to at certain points, and we'll see how that goes.