Author Topic: What's the next move?  (Read 5084 times)

Re: What's the next move?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 11:37:23 AM »

Offline ViolentGhandi

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
Green wants to win - that doesnt mean he will opt out for sure - he should be as aware as everyone that Ainge is working on something.

I like him on the team - he is one tiny step away from all-star-level this year. He plays agressiv this year especially in the 4th. He also now should have the team leading roll. He only has to get a bit smarter when he is forcing the issue so he can avoid offensive fouls. Once he does that he will avg. 20+ (hes still just a bit under 20 atm right?). I mean common nobody can defend him when he goes strong without putting him on the line where he is pretty good. He also shoots the 3 pretty good. If we had 3 guys like him we would have a darn good team. 

We are in a simular situation to the one prior to the big 3 and he is pretty much what comes closest to Pierce so instead of walking away he could wake up surrounded be another 2 stars at some point in offseason. If Ainge tells him that he surly should be able to convince him to stay.

If you send him away who garanties that you will be able to pick up someone else at his caliber in the near future.

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 02:24:26 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Well....Danny just put up a sign that said "Fire sale. Everything must go. Make best offer."

I don't think that's true.  Without a new contract for Rondo looming over everything, Ainge has a lot more freedom to make or not make deals.  In a worst case scenario, Ainge could just let Green, Bass, Wright and Thornton walk and be over $20 million under the cap with a core of Smart, Avery, Sully, KO, Zeller and Young with multiple first round picks in the 2015 draft.

Unless Ainge can get real value, I don't think he's under any pressure to just make a deal.

Mike
Then why make a bad deal that sends a horrid message to the world? He just told the whole league "All my players aren't really worth anything, at least not to me. Feel free to lowball me."

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2014, 02:33:45 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Well....Danny just put up a sign that said "Fire sale. Everything must go. Make best offer."

I don't think that's true.  Without a new contract for Rondo looming over everything, Ainge has a lot more freedom to make or not make deals.  In a worst case scenario, Ainge could just let Green, Bass, Wright and Thornton walk and be over $20 million under the cap with a core of Smart, Avery, Sully, KO, Zeller and Young with multiple first round picks in the 2015 draft.

Unless Ainge can get real value, I don't think he's under any pressure to just make a deal.

Mike
Then why make a bad deal that sends a horrid message to the world? He just told the whole league "All my players aren't really worth anything, at least not to me. Feel free to lowball me."

Ainge made a good deal.

The only problem is, he should have done it sooner.

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 02:41:36 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

Mike

Although I wouldn't call it a fire sale, I think it is more likely that Green and Bass are traded.  Based on your logic why didn't DA just let rondo expire and ad another 13 mil to the cap space?  He didn't because he felt it was better to get something than nothing out of his contract.  I don't see how DA's approach would be any different with Green, Bass, and Thorton. 

Jeff Green has a player option on his contract and with what other SF's have been signing it is hard to imagine him not opting out.  If that is the case DA will be in the same situation with Green as he was with Rondo, ie not wanting to pay what it will take to retain him because we need to find our building block players first.  Green has played well this year, and I like watching him a lot. I hope somehow he stays, but I don't see how it is likely.

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2014, 02:44:37 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Mike

Ainge made a good deal.

He got nothing of any value for a darn good player.  No free agent has any reason whatsoever to want to come here now. From now on it doesn't matter what you do here. If you lead the league at your position in key statistics and you do it for less money don't expect to get the offer you want.

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2014, 02:52:37 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo

Mike

Ainge made a good deal.

He got nothing of any value for a darn good player.  No free agent has any reason whatsoever to want to come here now. From now on it doesn't matter what you do here. If you lead the league at your position in key statistics and you do it for less money don't expect to get the offer you want.

Rondo isn't that good anymore.
And Ainge got three players, a first round pick, and a $12.9 million dollar trade exception.
Ainge is a genius.

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2014, 02:56:53 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Mike

Ainge made a good deal.

And Ainge got three players, a first round pick, and a $12.9 million dollar trade exception.
Ainge is a genius.
What exactly has changed about Rondo? Still leads the league in assists. Still similar shooting. Still the best rebounder at his position. Still a fine defender.

What do you expect for that trade exception? What do you think those 3 "players" will do for us (the best of which is a free agent at the end of the year). What do you think is so valuable about a late first? We would have gotten a first in any trade. We didn't need this one

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2014, 02:59:53 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

Mike

Ainge made a good deal.

Ainge is a genius.

Well DA is a great GM, but it has nothing to do with the Rondo trade.

DA admitted himself that he gave away the best player.  DA's hand was forced / or he forced himself to accept a low return for Rondo due to the timing of Rondo's injury, the soft market for him overall, and the fact that they didn't want to pay rondo's asking price / and or he told them he wanted out previously.

He also admitted in the press conf. that the timing of the trade was extremely important.  The only reason to time it like he did was because he wants to ship out the players that just came in.  Let that sink in for a minute.  He just traded the nba assist leader, and the only guard rebounding in the top 30 for 3 players that he really plans to move before the deadline.  He got the best he could.  But it wasn't one of his finer moments.

The KG/ PP trade, yes he was a genius in that one, this one nope, not so much.

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2014, 03:48:32 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

Mike

Ainge made a good deal.

Ainge is a genius.
What exactly has changed about Rondo? Still leads the league in assists. Still similar shooting. Still the best rebounder at his position. Still a fine defender.

What do you expect for that trade exception? What do you think those 3 "players" will do for us (the best of which is a free agent at the end of the year). What do you think is so valuable about a late first? We would have gotten a first in any trade. We didn't need this one
because the GMs who populate the nba's decision making process and player evaluation do not agree with you. ainge did not intentionally choose the worst offer provided to him. ainge chose the best offer provided to him, i am sure. that the offer was not to our liking means that we are delusional in terms of how we evaluate our beloved celtics players.

let it go eja. ainge got the best return for rondo.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2014, 06:04:30 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
because the GMs who populate the nba's decision making process and player evaluation do not agree with you. ainge did not intentionally choose the worst offer provided to him. ainge chose the best offer provided to him, i am sure. that the offer was not to our liking means that we are delusional in terms of how we evaluate our beloved celtics players.

let it go eja. ainge got the best return for rondo.
Ainge picked this moment (for good reasons at the time) as the moment when he could get the most for Rondo. Then unexpected circumstances killed his value and he made a desperation move instead of continuing to wait. So in the extreme short term of the window he gave himself to make a trade, he took the best offer.

The reason he screwed up is that he apparently had no plan for Rondo slumping in the first few months of the season and no teams getting desperate. If he didn't move Rondo in the offseason, he must have had a backup plan for Rondo going into a slump. If his backup plan was to get rid of him for a late first and an expiring contract, I don't know what he was thinking.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2014, 06:06:41 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo

Mike

Ainge made a good deal.

Ainge is a genius.

Rondo's shooting percentage has dropped from 50 to 40.
His free throw shooting has dropped as well.
And he is not a good defender.
Do you even watch the games?

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2014, 06:15:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Mike

Ainge made a good deal.

Ainge is a genius.

Rondo's shooting percentage has dropped from 50 to 40.
His free throw shooting has dropped as well.
And he is not a good defender.
Do you even watch the games?
I think Rondo can still make a big splash on a team that caters to his strengths.  His FG% will go up surrounded by competent scorers.  He will get a lot of assists if they run the ball through him.  He's still a really good player.

It seems counter-intuitive considering he's a PG, but Rondo doesn't really seem to make his teammates better.  His teammates make him better. 

I think we lost a talented player in Rondo, but what exactly are we losing here?  THe offense is more efficient with him out of the lineup.  The defense will be stronger if SMart is who we think he is.  What's the main thing we are taking a loss on?  Rebounding from our point guard position?  Whatever.   The team as-is hasn't really taken a step backwards.  MOving Green would hurt more since Green adds a tangible benefit (his scoring), but he's so inept in everything else that we could probably make up the difference losing Green as well.

Next move:  MOving Green to the first team willing to give up a protected 1st.

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2014, 06:50:50 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Brooklyn and Kings talking about Williams deal according to Wojo. Next years Nets pick is going to be top 5.