Poll

Would you like to see this current Boston roster make the playoffs

Sure, I would.
11 (61.1%)
No thanks.
5 (27.8%)
E'twaun Moore is doing pretty well for himself.
2 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: March 20, 2015, 03:09:28 PM

Author Topic: Do you want us to make the playoffs?  (Read 9315 times)

Re: Do you want us to make the playoffs?
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2014, 01:30:10 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I'm ok with it if it's because Smart, Young, KO and Sully were flat out beating other teams together. I'm not ok with it if Jeff Green gets us the 8th seed and then walks at the end of the year
This x1000

If we make the playoffs and deserve to be there (actually get in with a record above .500, not a losing record), then so be it. It means the likes of Smart, Olynyk, Sullinger, Zeller, and Bradley are playing well and growing. If we barely get in with the likes of Bass/Green/etc, the screw that. That's pointless. Then I would be p*ssed if that were to happen.

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2014, 01:30:46 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I was on board with tanking last year, because the draft was so top loaded. This year, I don't really care.  We just got better by making that trade... Might as well get this young team to the playoffs so maybe we can attract an upgrade this summer.

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2014, 01:34:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
We are too decent to tank this season. Even if green and bass are traded. ET can play sf and wallace/crowder provides sufficating defense at worse. Crowder can shoot the three

« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2014, 01:54:45 PM »

Offline Rodan45

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Losing basketball is terrible to watch. All those that say we should tank now are betting on an uncertain future. Why not try to develop a winning culture here, let it be entertaining, and work with the future when it comes.

The Celtics are fun to watch and I hope that they keep playing to potential and winning games THIS SEASON. The future will come and be dealt with, and though planning is important, I think tanking, as strategic as it may be, is really the weak way to go.

I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees, just like I would rather see the Celtics shoot for victory now than (potentially) grovel our way towards it in the future.   

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2014, 02:07:38 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Depends. Do I want Marcus Smart to ramp up his game about 30 notches, win ROY, and lead us to the 2nd round of the playoffs? Yes please.

Do I want Jeff Green to play his absolute best and lead us to the 8th seed on the last day of the year? God no.

« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2014, 02:12:12 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
We are going to be terrible.
Green and bass are next to go.
We will be worse than the Pistons and Knicks-probably the wolves too once they get Rubio and Pekovic back.
this.

I want the team to try to do the best they can every night.  I just don't think their best will be very good during the course of the season.

I agree with this.  Based on the veiled Danny speak at the press conf he was avoiding discussing the Green trade rumors, but made a very large point to say that the timing of the rondo trade was very important.  IE flexibility to move any or all of the 3 guys we just got back with Bass, Green or whomever brings us the stuff we want.  Most likely by the end of feb we will be in the 2nd tier of teams just outside the bottom 2 philly / minn.

I like to watch celtic playoff basketball as much as anyone.  I would love to see the young guys make some noise.  Do I think it is likely to happen?  Not really.  Anyone getting excited about that Minn win last night needs to keep in mind the context of that win.  Minn is a really really bad team already, missing 3 of their better players, and they played horrible D last night.  Losing Rondo doesn't ensure the tank, but if Green, Bass and others go too it pretty much does.

« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2014, 02:42:46 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Making the Playoffs just might help lure a Top Free Agent here.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2014, 02:49:07 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Making the Playoffs just might help lure a Top Free Agent here.
You mean a top free agent like Rondo?

« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2014, 03:40:16 PM »

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29
Yes.  The higher, the better...every year.  Failure is only an option for losers.
Pretty much this. I cringe when some idiot talks about tanking or why we "should" lose. **** that. If some clown wabts their team to lose then they can go root for the 76ers instead.

You should read a bit about how this board works. Don't call people names.
Are you seriously going to cry because I used the words idiot and clown? Grown up. Kindergarten is elsewhere.

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2014, 03:49:00 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
If we make the playoffs it will be because we see a team of young guys who built on the sort of game they had against the T-Wolves, and that would awfully fun to see.  The glass half-full side of me sees a group of pretty talented guys, who now see this is as "their team".  If they can figure out how to make that work and grow with it we're in for a treat. 

Yup

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2014, 03:50:54 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Tanking's for losers

Yup

« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2014, 03:57:10 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2014, 03:59:57 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Yes.  The higher, the better...every year.  Failure is only an option for losers.
Pretty much this. I cringe when some idiot talks about tanking or why we "should" lose. **** that. If some clown wabts their team to lose then they can go root for the 76ers instead.

You should read a bit about how this board works. Don't call people names.
Are you seriously going to cry because I used the words idiot and clown? Grown up. Kindergarten is elsewhere.
i see no way in which personal insults improves your logic, argument, or position. i do see ways in which insults degrade the collegiality of this board. insults degrade both you and those you use them against.

think, what positive purpose does it serve to insult others on the very blog where you are a member? THAT is what was being proposed to you.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 04:07:29 PM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2014, 04:56:12 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
If you were a Sixers fan...Would you buy a ticket to see one of those games?  Would you go if somebody gave you one?  No amount of cap space or draft choices are going to fix the damage that they're doing to their young players by overtly setting them up to fail. 

If anybody wants us to do what they're doing...Go root for them.  You won't have any trouble finding a seat.  I'm thinking most Cs fans want to see us competing to win every night.

Danny caught lightning in a bottle and traded assets for the one player in the league who could single-handedly change a losing culture.  You find the modern-day Kevin Garnett out there....He doesn't exist.

« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2014, 05:04:38 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
If we make the playoffs it will be because we see a team of young guys who built on the sort of game they had against the T-Wolves, and that would awfully fun to see.  The glass half-full side of me sees a group of pretty talented guys, who now see this is as "their team".  If they can figure out how to make that work and grow with it we're in for a treat.

What Redz said.