Poll

Would you like to see this current Boston roster make the playoffs

Sure, I would.
11 (61.1%)
No thanks.
5 (27.8%)
E'twaun Moore is doing pretty well for himself.
2 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: March 20, 2015, 03:09:28 PM

Author Topic: Do you want us to make the playoffs?  (Read 9291 times)

Re: Do you want us to make the playoffs?
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2014, 11:15:45 AM »

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29
Yes.  The higher, the better...every year.  Failure is only an option for losers.
Pretty much this. I cringe when some idiot talks about tanking or why we "should" lose. **** that. If some clown wants their team to lose then they can go root for the 76ers instead.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 03:39:42 PM by Kadin »

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2014, 11:21:13 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
We're too good to tank, so we might as well go for it. 

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2014, 11:44:34 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
No.  I want a chance at one of the big men at the top of this draft.  8th seed would have made more sense if we were looking to free agency to add to Rondo and Green.  But now that the draft is our only realistic chance of adding a star talent to the squad in the offseason, we should be prioritizing lotto balls.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2014, 11:46:53 AM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I'd like to see Marcus Smart starting on a playoff team his rookie year.

I'd also like to see the Nets make the playoffs, so they don't get a lottery pick.

I'd also like to see Miami miss the playoffs, so they get a top 10. (Philly has Miami's 1st, but it's top 10 protected).

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2014, 11:53:27 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Yes.  The higher, the better...every year.  Failure is only an option for losers.
Pretty much this. I cringe when some idiot talks about tanking or why we "should" lose. **** that. If some clown wabts their team to lose then they can go root for the 76ers instead.

You should read a bit about how this board works. Don't call people names.

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2014, 11:56:45 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Make the playoffs.

Take names, kick a...

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2014, 12:01:59 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
a poll!!!! this thread needs a poll for us to cast our valuable votes!!!

playoffs? entertaining i suppose in the sort term as we would watch the youngsters get their collective butts handed to them in a quick, first round exit in all likelihood. but as i think about it, it might be more depressing to me than entertaining. giving up a good draft choice for the opportunity to watch a slaughter of the celtics seems unattractive to me.

just say yes to tanking for this year. a brighter future awaits us all.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2014, 12:07:43 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I'm ok with it if it's because Smart, Young, KO and Sully were flat out beating other teams together. I'm not ok with it if Jeff Green gets us the 8th seed and then walks at the end of the year

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2014, 12:38:58 PM »

Offline thehumburger

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
We have more picks than we can use already so I'd rather roll with the team we have and make the playoffs. Even if we ship out Green & co. we're not going to drop down into a top 5 pick; we'll probably be around 8 - 10 which doesn't guarantee a stud by any stretch. And what some people don't take into consideration when favoring the tank is that it doesn't just mean you get a higher pick, but there's an equation in real terms of the quality of some of your players right now. Would you like to see Smart bust out and become rookie of the year and look like a future cornerstone, and Olynyk continue to put up 20+, shoot the lights out, and look like a future all-star, and so on with Sullinger, Zeller, Bradley etc. If we were to really plummet in the lottery there's a good chance none of these things would be happening and we'd be relying on that almighty pick to make up for what we don't have. I'm hoping that a part of the future is already on the team and it's good enough to get to the playoffs.

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2014, 12:45:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I'm ok with it if it's because Smart, Young, KO and Sully were flat out beating other teams together. I'm not ok with it if Jeff Green gets us the 8th seed and then walks at the end of the year

I totally agree. We got so many picks anyways , it gives the team a chance to focus on drafting a good sf. Move up and try to draft stanley johnson, winslow or worse case rondae hollis jefferson mid 1st.

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2014, 12:55:55 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
We are going to be terrible.
Green and bass are next to go.
We will be worse than the Pistons and Knicks-probably the wolves too once they get Rubio and Pekovic back.
this.

I want the team to try to do the best they can every night.  I just don't think their best will be very good during the course of the season. 

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2014, 01:02:03 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
if bass and green are on the team and we make the playoffs? then no.

if they're moved and we make the playoffs? then i'm ok with that, even though high draft picks help this team more than anything right now .

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2014, 01:14:58 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Wow, this blog is pretty evenly divided on this issue!

I'm stuck in the middle. If we can sell off Green, Bass, and Thornton for anything of value WITHIN THE NEXT WEEK, I'd totally be down to tank.

However, by all accounts Danny seems to want to see how this team does for a couple of weeks, and that will firmly make tanking an unreal possibility as far ahead of the other teams as we already are.

I'd like to see us make the playoffs, because I think there's still a hope that we can package picks enough to get up to get Stein in the mid-lottery, which I'd be really happy with.

Let's not forget that the Rockets made the 8th seed two years ago, and that was enough to prompt Howard to sign there. Of course, they had Harden to draw him there, but we have much more young talent and many more assets than they did. We also have a big advantage of being in the East, because that provides a much easier route to success than the ridiculous West.

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2014, 01:17:24 PM »

Offline bostonsportsforlife

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
I'd love to get the young guys some playoff experience, we could possibly squeak in as an 8 seed with the team as is. I'm also okay if Danny ships off Green and co. for future assets, but I would like to not be as terrible as last year.

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2014, 01:23:48 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I want to see us hang around the playoff picture if only to see how far Danny will go in desperately trying to strip the team down til they miss.

...but that's why I don't understand all the Okafor/Towns talk after the Rondo trade.  This is still not a particularly bad team, definitely not bad enough to have a good shot at a top 3 pick.  It's probably on the low side of mediocre, which could be enough to make the playoffs in the East, or at least come close.