Poll

Would you like to see this current Boston roster make the playoffs

Sure, I would.
11 (61.1%)
No thanks.
5 (27.8%)
E'twaun Moore is doing pretty well for himself.
2 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: March 20, 2015, 03:09:28 PM

Author Topic: Do you want us to make the playoffs?  (Read 9290 times)

Re: Do you want us to make the playoffs?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 08:56:57 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
If Green and Bass are leading this team to the playoffs, then i can understand people being upset.

However, If Smart, Bradley, Olynyk, and Sullinger are leading this team to the playoffs, you really can't be mad.
I don't think it's not the end of the world if Green leads us into the playoffs unless he bolts next year.

We can always resign Jeff Green. I think we're seeing this year that the ceiling for Green isn't set yet. He's added a nice post up game to his resume and his handle has gotten slightly better.

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 09:03:47 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
If Green and Bass are leading this team to the playoffs, then i can understand people being upset.

However, If Smart, Bradley, Olynyk, and Sullinger are leading this team to the playoffs, you really can't be mad.
I don't think it's not the end of the world if Green leads us into the playoffs unless he bolts next year.

We can always resign Jeff Green. I think we're seeing this year that the ceiling for Green isn't set yet. He's added a nice post up game to his resume and his handle has gotten slightly better.

I'm terrified how much this may cost and don't have much interest in paying what i think it might take.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2014, 09:17:35 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

I'm terrified how much this may cost and don't have much interest in paying what i think it might take.
I can't see teams giving him more then 14-15 a year. If it's over 17 then I'm out also unless it's a 3 year deal.

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 09:22:02 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

I can't see teams giving him more then 14-15 a year. If it's over 17 then I'm out also unless it's a 3 year deal.

I don't think id want Green for anything over 10mill.

I just think his decline will begin just as we are getting good.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2014, 09:25:03 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Win or lose, I just want them to compete every night. If KO can continue to up his play and Smart can play I'm fine with making the playoffs if we could be at least .500.

Not a fan of sub .500 teams making the playoffs.

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2014, 09:28:35 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Of course. Why play the game if not to win? We always gotta go for the win.

The problem here is the Front Office doesnt us want to. Otherwise they wouldn't trade (and try to trade) our best players.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2014, 10:14:11 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I'm on the fence about making the playoffs. I would like for the young players to get a taste of playoff action, but deep down I know its best that we don't. Its like fools gold, the east is so bad, it will give the celtics a false sense of their true talent.
This years college draft is big man heavy, the celtics should draft a young center, and seriously invest in a center in the free agent market.

If Green, and Bass are traded, i'd be shocked if they made the playoffs anyway. I would like to see them fight like hell in every game.

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2014, 10:20:50 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
The problem is that even though we're just 10-14, a top draft pick is probably out of reach.  If we gave away Green, Bass and Thorton for nothing, we're still not going to be as bad as Philly and some of these other teams.

If the choice is between making the playoffs and getting the 15th pick and not making the playoffs and getting the 11th pick, go for the playoffs.

Mike

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2014, 10:28:09 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Yes. Make the playoffs. Every east team sucks. That's why I wanted rondo to stay and walk rather than be given away for free.

Jeff Green is my favorite player so if he goes, I may go.

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2014, 10:29:10 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
No way. I did not want to make the playoffs when we had RR.

Towns will hopefully be in Green next year.

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2014, 10:29:27 AM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
The problem is that even though we're just 10-14, a top draft pick is probably out of reach.  If we gave away Green, Bass and Thorton for nothing, we're still not going to be as bad as Philly and some of these other teams.

If the choice is between making the playoffs and getting the 15th pick and not making the playoffs and getting the 11th pick, go for the playoffs.

Mike

Pretty much this ^.  If Ainge managed to trade Bass and Green within the next week, then there's a possibility of getting down to say, 5 to 7, but if he doesn't get rid of them until the week of the deadline, then we'll likely be so far behind tanking teams that it's impossible to make up much ground.  To be honest, I wish he'd trade Bass, Green, and perhaps Thornton this week and then go with youth the rest of the season.  They'll likely lose a ton, and we'd be in line for a center come draft time.  If he waits to get rid of them until the deadline, he'll have half ashed a tank, just like he did last year.

I'm with whoever said that if we get rid of Bass, Green, etc, and still make the playoffs with the young guys, then great.  If we make them with Bass, Green, etc, I'd just as soon not.  Trade them now, Danny.

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2014, 10:32:32 AM »

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12

Making the playoffs as a below .500 team and not having a chance to really win a title is no fun.

I think we need to make the team even worse, that's just the current state of the nba.  Being in the middle is the worst situation to be in if you ever really want to contend.

If the mantra is true that we can't sign top level free agents than tanking is a must, trading for top talent is much harder than getting a top 8 or lower pick.  (over 99% of stars in the league are drafted)

The idea of top 3 pick or bust is ridiculous, a top 8 pick can be used right.  They are countless of players who were drafted past the top 3 pick who are the #1 and #2 option on their team on a contending team at that. 

It may be slow, but as long as we make good decisions it will play out fine. Trying to be the Knicks pre Phil Jackson,  Pistons of the Dumar Era, Hawks of 2000 through 2015 season is no bueno.  These guys showed us how not to do it.

Free Cap space to keep options open (something we've never really ever had,  multiple draft picks in assets for potential trade. Ability to let some of the newer drafted guys time to develop while obtaining better drafting positioning makes way too much sense.

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2014, 10:39:33 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If team make the playoffs it will be because the east is so bad, and other teams do not care about their product and are blatantly tanking rather than us being good.   Almost all our team will walk next year, so guys wanting to be on a playoff team will not be enticed by us.   We will have a lot of cap space.   Only thing Ainge can hope for is some players want to team up into a big three to have a chance at a ring with our cap space it might be viable and we would a place to do it.  We do not have media, the weather or the like to draw marque agents.  We will have the cap space either way but a high draft pick but the cap space will be better than a bounce out playoff experience.  Our picks are worth less if we are in playoffs both in value to trade and what we can land. 

I will take whatever comes, playoffs or a high draft pick, I find I can't root for us to lose once a game starts.   My mind definitely thinks it would be better to get a draft pick.   I think we will be in the lottery regardless because I think the wheeling and dealing is not done and I also think that the team lacks talent.   We might look solid against MIN but we will lose almost 80-90 of our West coast games this year and half of the east ones if not more.

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2014, 10:46:44 AM »

Offline soulman

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 21
Yes.  The higher, the better...every year.  Failure is only an option for losers.

TP, 'I'm sick and tired of losing!

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2014, 10:59:43 AM »

Offline Phil125

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 57
We will most likely not get a top 5 draft pick so we might as well make the playoffs.