Author Topic: We actually look better  (Read 50648 times)

Re: We actually look better
« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2014, 07:57:01 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
No lazy defense.

No pounding the rock.

No bad attitudes.

No slowing down the pace.

Uptempo, here we come.

The pounding the ball argument is ridiculous and overstated, and Smart got a technical, so it's not all sunshine and rainbows, lol. ;D

Smart's 20 yrs old. It will be ok. Let the kid develop, than run your mouth.

I'm not saying that Smart is crap.  I like him a lot, but he's not even remotely close to Rondo, imo.

Funny you say that, because just yesterday on Felger and Maz, Maxwell was saying how he thinks Smart is better than Rondo right now because Smart plays both sides of the ball. Again, this is today, not 2012.
Smart better than Rondo right now? That's a good one.

« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2014, 07:57:33 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Nobody WANTED to see Rajon go--the fans, the owners, BS, or Danny Ainge!  It's a business!!  Just keep repeating that! For everyone who just can't get past this, just keep repeating "it's a business" to yourselves! And if you have to blame someone, blame CURT FLOOD!!!!

« Reply #122 on: December 20, 2014, 02:48:15 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
If we are better without Rondo than it was stupid to let him go right?  I suppose it is possible we might be a tad bit better now....like maybe just good enough to make the 8th seed. Is that the goal? Is that what is going to move us towards major contention?

Or was the way to contention to get better players?

Because in that case we could have let Rondo ruin the team for another year, thereby getting a much better draft shot, get a better player, and let Rondo walk.

Instead we got better and got some worthless stuff.

The anti-Rondo camp just keeps contradicting itself hoping nobody notices. It's not going to work.

« Reply #123 on: December 20, 2014, 03:13:11 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'm not saying that Smart is crap.  I like him a lot, but he's not even remotely close to Rondo, imo.
He is, in fact, VERY close to where Rondo was when he was 20, so...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #124 on: December 20, 2014, 03:32:12 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Rondo was a great passer. Smart isn't. Rondo had savant type court vision and awareness. Smart doesn't. 

« Reply #125 on: December 20, 2014, 03:38:47 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
koz, you raise very interesting point and i would like to see more. would you please expand on how they were similar?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #126 on: December 20, 2014, 04:00:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Smart is a better fit for this team

« Reply #127 on: December 20, 2014, 04:03:09 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Smart is a better fit for this team
Perhaps in the way that Pressey or Jae Crowder is or that maybe Tim Frazier would be.

« Reply #128 on: December 20, 2014, 04:04:58 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Rondo was a great passer. Smart isn't. Rondo had savant type court vision and awareness. Smart doesn't.

Rondo was also a much better athlete than Smart. He might not have been as big, but he was much quicker. He was also a better finisher than Smart is, if I can rememebr.

« Reply #129 on: December 20, 2014, 04:09:22 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Yes, Smart is better than Rondo.

Most of the starting point guards in the league are.

« Reply #130 on: December 20, 2014, 04:11:20 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Smart isn't a starting pg. He's so highly thought of by his coach that they started Evan T last night.

« Reply #131 on: December 20, 2014, 04:14:41 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

Smart isn't a starting pg. He's so highly thought of by his coach that they started Evan T last night.

So what?

It's who finishes that counts.

« Reply #132 on: December 20, 2014, 04:15:47 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Rondo was also a much better athlete than Smart. He might not have been as big, but he was much quicker. He was also a better finisher than Smart is, if I can rememebr.

These two really couldn't be more different. While Rondo is quicker (not necessarily faster) and has the ability to finish at the rim with spin shots, Smart is more explosive and can finish through contact at the rim.

I believe Rondo to be the better PG between the two by a pretty fair margin, but Smart has a pretty crazy strength/athleticism combination that should help him be a successful NBA player.

« Reply #133 on: December 20, 2014, 04:19:49 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

So what?

It's who finishes that counts.
Smart would have to become a markedly different player to finish as the starter (well, actually maybe he wouldn't.)  But you can't even compare him right now to like Trey Burke and he hasn't looked any better than Dante Exum. Has he even looked any better than Tyler Ennis?

He'd have to start hitting shots, getting rebs, getting assists....and to do that he'd actually have to get playing time too.

Marcus Smart has done nothing whatsoever to even hint at being a pg of the future for us. So far he's been all hype and a lot of injury.

« Reply #134 on: December 20, 2014, 04:21:48 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

That's because of his injury. Smart is the face of the franchise and was way better than Rondo at the same age. Smart is the face of the franchise, but people are taking it out on him because Rondo, a flawed player who probably would've bolted in free agency, was traded.

Last I checked this was celticsblog not rondoblog, but you wouldn't know it judging by some of the shortsighted posts. Some Rondo fans have left (Tim? Tim?), but those that remain sound like dumped x's.