Author Topic: We actually look better  (Read 50502 times)

Re: We actually look better
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2014, 12:49:33 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
From your posts, that's been the only logical conclusion, quite honestly.  I just don't understand why people were so willing to trade a guy like Rondo for, wait, what did we get for him again?  Oh right - nothing.  Unbelievable.
You mean the guy that couldn't average 10 ppg on a team where the top scorer is Jeff Green? What did you think he was worth, again?

He's priceless.

To-may-to.  To-mah-to.

Mike

:o ::)  WOW.  That's nothing more than pure hyperbole.  I don't even know what to say anymore.

« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2014, 12:49:42 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
No lazy defense.

No pounding the rock.

No bad attitudes.

No slowing down the pace.

Uptempo, here we come.

Bingo.

Even before Rondo got injured he was lazy on defense.

One time Doc had to call timeout after one of the Knick guards almost set the record for threes in a quarter, because Rondo refused to cover him.

« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2014, 12:50:31 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
No lazy defense.

No pounding the rock.

No bad attitudes.

Uptempo, here we come.

The pounding the ball argument is ridiculous and overstated, and Smart got a technical, so it's not all sunshine and rainbows, lol. ;D

Smart's 20 yrs old. It will be ok. Let the kid develop, than run your mouth.

« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2014, 12:50:47 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
From your posts, that's been the only logical conclusion, quite honestly.  I just don't understand why people were so willing to trade a guy like Rondo for, wait, what did we get for him again?  Oh right - nothing.  Unbelievable.
You mean the guy that couldn't average 10 ppg on a team where the top scorer is Jeff Green? What did you think he was worth, again?

He's priceless.

Or worthless.  To-may-to.  To-mah-to.

Mike

:o ::)  WOW.  That's nothing more than pure hyperbole.  I don't even know what to say anymore.

« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2014, 12:52:01 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
No lazy defense.

No pounding the rock.

No bad attitudes.

Uptempo, here we come.

The pounding the ball argument is ridiculous and overstated, and Smart got a technical, so it's not all sunshine and rainbows, lol. ;D

Smart's 20 yrs old. It will be ok. Let the kid develop, than run your mouth.

I'm not saying that Smart is crap.  I like him a lot, but he's not even remotely close to Rondo, imo.

« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2014, 12:53:47 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
No lazy defense.

No pounding the rock.

No bad attitudes.

Uptempo, here we come.

Rondo has a supremely superior handle compared to Smart , and much better playmaker.

I like Smart a lot though . Looks like Tony Allen with a better offensive game.

:o :o :o  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2014, 12:59:05 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
It's sad to see so much hate poured on Rondo.......

« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2014, 01:03:08 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Imo we are going to be Phoenix Suns of the east this season. But have a much better chance to make 7th, 8th unlike the Suns in the tough west

That team would eat us for breakfast with or without Jeff Green (who we will soon be without).

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2014, 01:13:18 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff

They're living in the past. Too caught up in Rondo's performances from 2012 and older to pay any attention to his actual impact, or lack thereof, on the game now.

Beat LA, you constantly harp on the return being "nothing", but isn't that actually an indictment on Rondo? Ainge scoured the league and the "nothing" package you moan about is the absolute best he could get back. That says much more about Rondo's current status as a player, then it does about Ainge as a GM. If only Rondo were regarded as a better player, say a top 30 guy like you often claim, then surely the return would've been better. Would it not?

Nope.  I'm sorry, but this is all about Ainge to me, because for those of you who believe that Danny is such a great gm and that he was responsible for extending the window of the then-Big Three, the guy that you should be praising for our extended run is Rondo.  Say what you will for the guy, but if he hadn't grown into the player that he is today (and yes, I can hear all of you saying, "what, you mean a grossly overrated role player?"), we would not have achieved anywhere near the success that we did even as the Big Three aged.  It was Rondo who still made them look like world beaters.  It was Rondo who made their jobs so much easier when they could no longer consistently create their own offense, and it was Rondo who became our most indispensable player once Garnett got injured.  Ainge had plenty of chances to rebuild and retool on the fly, and he failed at each and every opportunity to give us a much better transition from one era to the next without all of this mess.  It never should have come to this.  Do you think that Ainge would have been able to get what he did (which I will always hate as a transaction just as much as this most recent one.  I don't care how many picks he got for them - those guys are legends, for which you never get equal value.  I'd feel perhaps somewhat better about those draft choices if Ainge could actually select good players, but he only serves to compound his mistake in this regard, imo.) for KG and Pierce if they had been playing with Deron Williams?  Right.  Do you think that Avery Bradley would have gotten anywhere near that turd of a contract had he not played with Rondo?  Right.

I know that Rondo might not have had the best defense this year, but Bradley hasn't been a shining star, either, and I think that a lot of that has to do with the fact that Garnett is no longer quarterbacking our defense.  KG made a 36 year old Ray Allen with bone spurs still look like a competent defensive player, for crying out loud, and that's really the point of all of this - those guys not only fit so well together, but they also made each other better players.  Danny had his chances, and he blew it.  Year after year after year.  The transition should have been a lot smoother, imo.

Whose front office traded for the necessary pick to select Rajon Rondo in the early 20s? Danny Ainge's.

So long as we're using hindsight, Danny Ainge offered the best package for Chris Paul only to be rejected and had David West slip through his fingers. As someone's sig around here says, imagine if the stars had aligned...

« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2014, 01:14:38 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

They're living in the past. Too caught up in Rondo's performances from 2012 and older to pay any attention to his actual impact, or lack thereof, on the game now.

Beat LA, you constantly harp on the return being "nothing", but isn't that actually an indictment on Rondo? Ainge scoured the league and the "nothing" package you moan about is the absolute best he could get back. That says much more about Rondo's current status as a player, then it does about Ainge as a GM. If only Rondo were regarded as a better player, say a top 30 guy like you often claim, then surely the return would've been better. Would it not?

Nope.  I'm sorry, but this is all about Ainge to me, because for those of you who believe that Danny is such a great gm and that he was responsible for extending the window of the then-Big Three, the guy that you should be praising for our extended run is Rondo.  Say what you will for the guy, but if he hadn't grown into the player that he is today (and yes, I can hear all of you saying, "what, you mean a grossly overrated role player?"), we would not have achieved anywhere near the success that we did even as the Big Three aged.  It was Rondo who still made them look like world beaters.  It was Rondo who made their jobs so much easier when they could no longer consistently create their own offense, and it was Rondo who became our most indispensable player once Garnett got injured.  Ainge had plenty of chances to rebuild and retool on the fly, and he failed at each and every opportunity to give us a much better transition from one era to the next without all of this mess.  It never should have come to this.  Do you think that Ainge would have been able to get what he did (which I will always hate as a transaction just as much as this most recent one.  I don't care how many picks he got for them - those guys are legends, for which you never get equal value.  I'd feel perhaps somewhat better about those draft choices if Ainge could actually select good players, but he only serves to compound his mistake in this regard, imo.) for KG and Pierce if they had been playing with Deron Williams?  Right.  Do you think that Avery Bradley would have gotten anywhere near that turd of a contract had he not played with Rondo?  Right.

I know that Rondo might not have had the best defense this year, but Bradley hasn't been a shining star, either, and I think that a lot of that has to do with the fact that Garnett is no longer quarterbacking our defense.  KG made a 36 year old Ray Allen with bone spurs still look like a competent defensive player, for crying out loud, and that's really the point of all of this - those guys not only fit so well together, but they also made each other better players.  Danny had his chances, and he blew it.  Year after year after year.  The transition should have been a lot smoother, imo.

Whose front office traded for the necessary pick to select Rajon Rondo in the early 20s? Danny Ainge's.

So long as we're using hindsight, Danny Ainge offered the best package for Chris Paul only to be rejected and had David West slip through his fingers. As someone's sig around here says, imagine if the stars had aligned...

They may or may not win a championship.....

« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2014, 01:38:15 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff

Well, we know for sure that we didn't win a championship with Rondo as the best player on the team. Maybe is better than definitely not.

Also, why isn't some of this criticism directed at Doc Rivers, who failed to get anything out of Courtney Lee and Jason Terry (and for some time, Jeff Green)?

« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2014, 01:44:03 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

Well, we know for sure that we didn't win a championship with Rondo as the best player on the team. Maybe is better than definitely not.

Also, why isn't some of this criticism directed at Doc Rivers, who failed to get anything out of Courtney Lee and Jason Terry (and for some time, Jeff Green)?

Because it's all Rondo's fault  ::).

« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2014, 01:52:28 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Yep, so easy to make this assessment versus the mighty Timberwolves.

« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2014, 01:56:37 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff

Because it's all Rondo's fault  ::).

Not what I said...

« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2014, 01:56:56 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
if KG does NOT hurt his knee in 2009----none of this would be an issue.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.