Author Topic: Anytime in Celtics history we can compare these times to?  (Read 756 times)

Anytime in Celtics history we can compare these times to?
« on: December 19, 2014, 07:47:58 PM »

Offline ebonilla34

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
Just because I've seen a lot of doom & gloom posts after Rondo being shipped out, part of this thread is for optimism and not losing complete hope for what the future holds for our beloved Celtics. Btw I'm one who's mourning the trade as well and will expect for Rondo to absolutely turn it up when he comes back on Jan 2. for our nationally broadcasted matchup against Dallas.

Yes we lost Rondo, but that does not mean its over for the Celts for years to come. I look forward to seeing our rookies and other young guys continue to develop as there's a lot to be hopeful for with our young nucleus of Sully, Bradley, Olynyk, Smart and Young.

In lieu of the Big 3 Celtics championship era ending completely with Rondo gone, I was just sitting here thinking about a comparable time where the Celtics have been in a similar situation and what came after it.

The only comparable time I could think of was before the Big 3 was formed, but the only major difference in that 2006-2007 season was that we had a bonafide star in Paul Pierce and a star in the making, Al Jefferson, along with the trove of assets in young players and draft picks.

The closest we have now is Jeff Green to Paul Pierce (Pierce, of course, blows Jeff away) and Sully to Al Jefferson, which is a fair enough comparison. However, I'd say we have far more valuable picks than '07, but had better players in '07.

My extremely well-analyzed, well put together breakdown (<-little sarcasm) of who was better in their prospective careers at the time:

'07/'14
In my opinion,
Pierce >> J. Green
Al Jeff > J. Sullinger
Delonte West = A.Bradley
Ryan Gomes < K.Olynyk
R. Rondo < M.Smart

'07 BAM moment - blockbuster trades for Ray + KG.
'14 BAM moment - yet to be seen...

Yes, we've talked about swinging a power play for big names as we did in '07, but are there other times in Celtics history we could learn from and be hopeful for - given the current circumstances?

Re: Anytime in Celtics history we can compare these times to?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 07:54:06 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
1996-97 celtics talent equivalent.

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 08:01:17 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

That's not a bad comp, especially considering they had Walker and the two lotto picks and the hopes of nabbing that guy from Wake Forest. Both situations are/were heavily invested in hope, and not unfounded.

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 08:02:55 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Paul Westphalia and Paul Silas being moved

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 08:07:55 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

That's not a bad comp, especially considering they had Walker and the two lotto picks and the hopes of nabbing that guy from Wake Forest. Both situations are/were heavily invested in hope, and not unfounded.
What will really blow your mind is if Green just like Fox ends up with Lakers following year as FA. And tanking we end up with 3rd overall.

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 08:12:31 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

What will really blow your mind is if Green just like Fox ends up with Lakers following year as FA. And tanking we end up with 3rd overall.

"Playing the part of Rick Pitino tonight, Mr. Brad Stevens."

Seeing Stevens lose his mind at a press conference and start swearing would almost be worth the debacle leading up to the meltdown, just to see the guy angry once.

Edit: And I'd be elated picking 3rd.

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 08:26:36 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2931

"Playing the part of Rick Pitino tonight, Mr. Brad Stevens."

Seeing Stevens lose his mind at a press conference and start swearing would almost be worth the debacle leading up to the meltdown, just to see the guy angry once.

Edit: And I'd be elated picking 3rd.

Haha that's what I was thinking. 3rd sounds excellent to me!