Author Topic: Why we did this trade  (Read 1795 times)

Why we did this trade
« on: December 19, 2014, 07:31:40 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I understand that some people will have the attitude that this trade is horrible and that is fine. We have much less talent on the roster than we used to have with Rondo.

But the talent was not performing up to par. Those blown leads, the 4th qtr collapses are a product of lack of leadership from Jeff Green and particularly Rajon Rondo. I was not happy with his performance this year with the Boston Celtics and felt he needed to be traded out.

This is addition by subtraction. It is to light a fire under the collective Celtics belly. Brandon Wright may turn into a really good role player but that is not a guarantee.  Jameer Nelson is on the way out of this league so we just buy him out of his contract and send him on his merry way. The other guy by all reports is a D league player.

All we did is gain more draft picks for our trouble and we probably gained a bunch of lottery balls.

Next up is the Jeff Green trade for more lottery balls.

This will be a three year rebuild at least.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

Re: Why we did this trade
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 08:19:20 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I just hope that the Celts don't turn into a D+ league Team which is mined by the rest of the league for talent while it rebuilds in perpetuity.  sometimes that is how I feel about the Tampa Bay Rays...they develop the talent and then lose it to either money or contenders.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 01:35:21 AM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
With Brad Stevens as the coach, I don't think that is a worry. With Danny Ainge as the GM, the jury is still out on this case and probably will be for a long time. I really don't like this trade that Danny made but then again you and I are not privy to all of the inner workings of the Boston Celtics Corporation.

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 01:39:51 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I just hope that the Celts don't turn into a D+ league Team which is mined by the rest of the league for talent while it rebuilds in perpetuity.  sometimes that is how I feel about the Tampa Bay Rays...they develop the talent and then lose it to either money or contenders.

Hey, the Rays had a great run as a power for, what 2-3 years, even reaching the World Series, iirc, right?  I agree that it may have been like that in the 90s to 2010, I think, but at least they eventually became contenders with Eva Longoria at third base, lol. ;D  Sorry, I always think it's Eva instead of Evan - it's just too easy, haha. ;D

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 01:42:35 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I understand that some people will have the attitude that this trade is horrible and that is fine. We have much less talent on the roster than we used to have with Rondo.

But the talent was not performing up to par. Those blown leads, the 4th qtr collapses are a product of lack of leadership from Jeff Green and particularly Rajon Rondo. I was not happy with his performance this year with the Boston Celtics and felt he needed to be traded out.

This is addition by subtraction. It is to light a fire under the collective Celtics belly. Brandon Wright may turn into a really good role player but that is not a guarantee.  Jameer Nelson is on the way out of this league so we just buy him out of his contract and send him on his merry way. The other guy by all reports is a D league player.

All we did is gain more draft picks for our trouble and we probably gained a bunch of lottery balls.

Next up is the Jeff Green trade for more lottery balls.

This will be a three year rebuild at least.

We blew plenty of games when he had a young team surrounding by Paul Pierce, so that didn't really bother me.  Was it frustrating?  Of course - immensely, but they're growing pains.

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 01:54:53 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
The enormous +/- difference between the Starters and the Bench the past couple of weeks might have told a little story in itself....Even Gorman and Tommy were extremely perplexed by it.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 02:13:58 AM »

Offline viking

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Hi all, my first ever post!
Ainge did what had to be done in this situation. The team at present had no chance of winning a ring this season, with or without Rondo.
Add in the fact that he was most likely leaving via FA, surely it is better to get something (no matter how small) than have your best player leave for free at the end of another disappointing year?
Rondo is a freak- we may never see another passer like him on the C's but he wasn't fitting in the system being put in place.
I will miss his crazy assists, I will miss Beastmode Rondo (trademark) in the playoffs, but Ainge did what he had to do as GM- get what he could and eat a bowl of sh*t from the fans for making the hard choice.

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 02:34:51 AM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
Respect and I take great pride in awarding you your first Tommy Point. That said, now Go Pack Go.

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 07:21:19 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Hi all, my first ever post!
Ainge did what had to be done in this situation. The team at present had no chance of winning a ring this season, with or without Rondo.
Add in the fact that he was most likely leaving via FA, surely it is better to get something (no matter how small) than have your best player leave for free at the end of another disappointing year?
Rondo is a freak- we may never see another passer like him on the C's but he wasn't fitting in the system being put in place.
I will miss his crazy assists, I will miss Beastmode Rondo (trademark) in the playoffs, but Ainge did what he had to do as GM- get what he could and eat a bowl of sh*t from the fans for making the hard choice.
Danny, is that you?  ;)
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!