Author Topic: Jackie Mac on Around the Horn  (Read 4348 times)

Re: Jackie Mac on Around the Horn
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 05:39:44 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I don't understand how this opens up cap space.

We don't pay Rondo max money

We didn't need to trade for Jameer Nelson in order to have an opportunity to not-pay Rajon Rondo.

Lets just not talk about Nelson.  I think it is easier that way.

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 05:41:05 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Trade still sucks. Hurts less than Pierce and KG. Green will hurt less than Rondo.

I really don't care about any of the players on our roster right now, and I doubt many (if any) of them will still be here when we're competitive again. Assets are great in theory but watching good players go for nothing tangible in the immediate is not rad in the slightest.

This is now my biggest problem with the C's. I like KO. He's not enough to build around. I like Young but he doesnt get any minutes yet. I like Green, Bass and Thorton but they are all insignificant because they'll be gone. And I love Wallace but he doesn't get any play time. That's about it.

How do you guys not like Smart?

I like Smart, but I'm expecting a dropoff in the full out defensive pressure once he gets up to over 30 minutes a game and assumes full time PG duties.

Smart's flaws are going to become a lot more noticeable once we're asking him to play starter minutes.  But I like him too, good effort + attitude.  Also think this trade could help Olynyk (one of the few players that seemed to get worse with Rondo out there). 

Once Green+Bass are gone and we flip most/all the guys we got from Dallas, it's gonna be  Smart/Oly/Sully, and a bunch of kids who aren't ready yet, with Wallace as den mother.

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 05:42:46 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

We didn't need to trade for Jameer Nelson in order to have an opportunity to not-pay Rajon Rondo.

edit, reworded for clarity: Not doing the trade because cap space would've been an asset if we could just let Rondo walk is pretty much exactly why we did the trade. Get something instead of nothing. If we decided we were not going to re-sign him that doesn't change that we gained cap space in the process of trading him. We got something for nothing (as by doing the trade we essentially publicized our viewing of Rondo as merely an expiring contract) and preserved our cap space.

Also, the TPE expands our utilization of the gobs and gobs of cap flexibility we now have.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 06:02:22 PM by TheFlex »

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 05:44:18 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
Trade still sucks. Hurts less than Pierce and KG. Green will hurt less than Rondo.

I really don't care about any of the players on our roster right now, and I doubt many (if any) of them will still be here when we're competitive again. Assets are great in theory but watching good players go for nothing tangible in the immediate is not rad in the slightest.

This is now my biggest problem with the C's. I like KO. He's not enough to build around. I like Young but he doesnt get any minutes yet. I like Green, Bass and Thorton but they are all insignificant because they'll be gone. And I love Wallace but he doesn't get any play time. That's about it.

I like Smart, but I'm expecting a dropoff in the full out defensive pressure once he gets up to over 30 minutes a game and assumes full time PG duties.

Smart's flaws are going to become a lot more noticeable once we're asking him to play starter minutes.  But I like him too, good effort + attitude.  Also think this trade could help Olynyk (one of the few players that seemed to get worse with Rondo out there). 

Once Green+Bass are gone and we flip most/all the guys we got from Dallas, it's gonna be  Smart/Oly/Sully, and a bunch of kids who aren't ready yet, with Wallace as den mother.

Someone needs to work photoshop magic and bless us with a hilarious photo of Wallace in this role now.

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 05:49:33 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
if jeff green and bass don't get traded now the danny's doing it wrong. really all of those guys should've been gone last yr. Rondo should've been dealt when Pierce & KG were. Danny messed that up, he should've ripped the Band-Aid off quickly in one swipe(like you're supposed to) instead he pulled it off slowly and suffered the consequences. we delayed the process by a yr.

I suggest everyone get ready for what's coming. with all these picks we've been accumulating we better hope other teams find value in them if not this is looking bad. 

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 05:50:44 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Not doing the trade because cap space wouldn't have been an asset if we could just let Rondo walk is pretty much exactly why we did the trade. Get something instead of nothing.

Also, the TPE expands our utilization of the gobs and gobs of cap flexibility we now have.

I don't understand the first thing that you said.

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 05:59:59 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff

Not doing the trade because cap space wouldn't have been an asset if we could just let Rondo walk is pretty much exactly why we did the trade. Get something instead of nothing.

I don't understand the first thing that you said.

In other words, your logic is that cap space was not an asset created by this trade because we could have just let him walk and gained an equal amount of cap space, if not more.

However under this assumption that cap space was not gained because it could have been had anyway, we would have had to let Rondo walk. Thus it was smart to get something instead of nothing.

And so if we have limited our options to trading Rondo or letting him walk, eliminating the option of re-signing him and using up that cap space, that doesn't mean that cap space was not created in the trade just because it could have been had in either scenario.

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2014, 06:38:07 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

The thing is with Smart you'll get 100% effort and 100% fiery competitivenss every night. I'm truly excited for Smart as our building block.

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2014, 06:40:17 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346

My mood has darkened again.

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2014, 06:40:17 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
if jeff green and bass don't get traded now the danny's doing it wrong. really all of those guys should've been gone last yr. Rondo should've been dealt when Pierce & KG were. Danny messed that up, he should've ripped the Band-Aid off quickly in one swipe(like you're supposed to) instead he pulled it off slowly and suffered the consequences. we delayed the process by a yr.

I suggest everyone get ready for what's coming. with all these picks we've been accumulating we better hope other teams find value in them if not this is looking bad.

Yep. If you're going to get that poo poo platter for Rondo just to get something instead of nothing, you better do the same for the other vets. It's also mandatoy to help us with the draft, because if they stay, we're late lottery if not in the playoffs in the East.

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 06:43:30 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

My mood has darkened again.

Sorry. I have high hopes for Marcus Smart.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2014, 06:49:11 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Something, something, something, she's losing her touch, she's not credible, she's a "disrespectful wench," etc.

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2014, 06:51:38 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Something, something, something, she's losing her touch, she's not credible, she's a "disrespectful wench," etc.

Pretty much.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2014, 06:54:24 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Pretty much.

Sarcasm? (Excuse my Sheldon Cooper-esque naivety!)

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2014, 06:56:21 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Pretty much.

Sarcasm? (Excuse my Sheldon Cooper-esque naivety!)
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=73385.60

Be warned. It's not the most civil thread ever. Everyone's kissed and made up by now, though.