Poll

Years from now when Rondo retires, should the Celtics retire his number?

Yes
21 (38.9%)
No
33 (61.1%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: When it's all said and done, retire Rondo's number 9?  (Read 7667 times)

Re: When it's all said and done, retire Rondo's number 9?
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2014, 01:24:07 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Put me down as a no as well.

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2014, 01:37:54 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
I love Rondo and I'm crestfallen, but retiring a number is an honor reserved for all-time greats.

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2014, 01:48:45 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Yes.

Several All-Star appearances, Defensive team achievements, leading league in assists.

I guess he should've bought Jackie MacMullin more boxes of Chocolates, and kissed more babies in BOS...a bit surprised at the amount of nos.

Maybe some State Farm commercials?

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2014, 07:36:53 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
So here's one for you -- do the Mavericks retire Kidd's number?
definitely. If not only because of the off the court stuff

Ok, so that's really interesting to me, because if I had to pick one franchise that would've retired Kidd's number, it would've been New Jersey (prior to the debacle that was his coaching career there). It was where he played his best ball, where he lead the team to the Finals, etc. That or Phoenix.

Sure, he was drafted by the Mavericks, but he never really had a meaningful role on the team until he came on as a veteran presence in 2008. One Ring and six (real) years with the team... that's enough for a banner retirement?
he's the oldest starting pg to win a ring. He also lifted that team to respectability, whereas before it was a joke.

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2014, 07:47:11 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Sean Grande and Cedric Maxwell both answered this question with a "Yes".

Maxwell went on to say, "Heck he was here longer than me and has more all-Star appearances"

For what it's worth.
max was what first came to my mind, also add in dj being up in rafters both relative "short timers" compared to a lot of the retired
rondo is the second best point guard to ever play for the celtics, thank you Mr Cousy (sorry jojo)
his #9 goes up

funny people bring up paul pierce, rondo isn't paul, #34 goes up as fast as #33 ! 
look at all time performance that rondo has put up in his years as a celtic

to me kg is the tough one, wasn't here long, didn't have killer stats but he (not doc) changed the entire organization back to where it should be

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2014, 08:08:06 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Yes.

Several All-Star appearances, Defensive team achievements, leading league in assists.

I guess he should've bought Jackie MacMullin more boxes of Chocolates, and kissed more babies in BOS...a bit surprised at the amount of nos.

Maybe some State Farm commercials?

Hey, Jackie was just doing her job--extraordinarily well, per usual. Notice in her column on his trade she also, per usual, kept the story about Rondo and didn't even allude to having been right--and maligned for it--last summer.

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2014, 08:10:11 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
Where does Rondo rank amongst all time Celtic point guards? I think it's fair to argue that he might be the second best point guard ever play for the Celtics. That said, he should have his number retired.

Yeah, he probably slips in on a combination of longevity, record-setting, and starting on a championship team. No one or even two is enough to get him up there, but the three combined probably do.

At least I assume that's why Crowder was made to switch from 9 to 99 for his number.

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2014, 08:17:18 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
History will remember him slightly more fondly than Antoine Walker, because he was a part of our championship team and made an extra all-star appearance. 

Slightly???

Good grief, even now that you finally got your wish, and Rondo has been shipped out, you still continue to bash him. Have a little dignity.

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2014, 08:23:01 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Personally, I don't believe Rondo did enough career-wise to deserve to have his number retired. But this is the Celtics we are talking about, the same team that retired Cedric Maxwell's number, and he contributed less overall than Rondo did. So by those standards I guess he should.

If it was up to me I'd retire Pierce's and Garnett's number, but not Allen or Rondo. My guess is all four will though.

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2014, 08:31:12 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
Personally, I don't believe Rondo did enough career-wise to deserve to have his number retired. But this is the Celtics we are talking about, the same team that retired Cedric Maxwell's number, and he contributed less overall than Rondo did. So by those standards I guess he should.

If it was up to me I'd retire Pierce's and Garnett's number, but not Allen or Rondo. My guess is all four will though.

Same here: I'd retire just Pierce and Garnett's #'s. (That's more than enough for a single championship anyway.)

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2014, 09:12:20 AM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
No, I don't think he did. I also don't think many players who have had their numbers retired by us have done enough to deserve it. It should be an extremely special ceremony and honor for only the best of the best, players that defined an era of being a Celtic's fan. I honestly feel its been cheapened by how many players we give the honor to, its a shame.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2014, 04:45:09 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Where does Rondo rank amongst all time Celtic point guards? I think it's fair to argue that he might be the second best point guard ever play for the Celtics. That said, he should have his number retired.

Yeah, he probably slips in on a combination of longevity, record-setting, and starting on a championship team. No one or even two is enough to get him up there, but the three combined probably do.

At least I assume that's why Crowder was made to switch from 9 to 99 for his number.

interesting number switch.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2014, 04:56:26 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I love Rondo and I'm crestfallen, but retiring a number is an honor reserved for all-time greats.

Cedric Maxwell's were retired. Im not sure we can consider him an all time great. 

Aside from being Finals MVP and having an extra ring, Rondo has gotten more career accomplishments than Max. Im not knocking Cedric, but surely Rondo had a much more better Celtic run.

Im not saying Rondo is an all time great. All I'm saying is, if Max's Celtics career reached the standards of having your number up in the rafters, I think Rondo should as well.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2014, 05:02:51 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think he'll end up having his number retired by the Mavericks.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2014, 05:18:32 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Cedric Maxwell's were retired. Im not sure we can consider him an all time great. 

Aside from being Finals MVP and having an extra ring, Rondo has gotten more career accomplishments than Max. Im not knocking Cedric, but surely Rondo had a much more better Celtic run.

Im not saying Rondo is an all time great. All I'm saying is, if Max's Celtics career reached the standards of having your number up in the rafters, I think Rondo should as well.

I'm probably good with putting Rondo above Max in the Celtics greats pantheon (although Max's tenure as a homer commentator is actually worth something extra to me)

So yeah, in a perfect world I guess I don't have Max or Rondo in the rafters.