Author Topic: Pressure on Danny to cash in?  (Read 3993 times)

Pressure on Danny to cash in?
« on: December 19, 2014, 03:53:13 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Conversation starter.

Listening to the Starters Drop Podcast and as they discuss the Rondo deal, they opened up this idea that Danny Ainge is now "under pressure" to cash in those assets and turn them into someone they can build around.

This is something I thought I'd agree, to the point that I say if he cant flip those assets into a foundation in two years, he should be axed.

How long of a window do you think Danny has to cash in? Do we need more assets? We got (as I was corrected) 6 1st round picks in 2 years time, along with cap room and young players. I know at some point Danny needs to flip those assets, but do you think that he's now under pressure to do so, as quickly as he can?

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Re: Pressure on Danny to cash in?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 03:55:08 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
No set timetable. Impatience is probably the most dangerous trait a GM/ Ownership/ fan base can have.

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 03:57:18 PM »

Offline KingChre

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 21
Conversation starter.

Listening to the Starters Drop Podcast and as they discuss the Rondo deal, they opened up this idea that Danny Ainge is now "under pressure" to cash in those assets and turn them into someone they can build around.

This is something I thought I'd agree, to the point that I say if he cant flip those assets into a foundation in two years, he should be axed.

How long of a window do you think Danny has to cash in? Do we need more assets? We got (as I was corrected) 6 1st round picks in 2 years time, along with cap room and young players. I know at some point Danny needs to flip those assets, but do you think that he's now under pressure to do so, as quickly as he can?

I would say that the move yesterday probably indicates that he isn't going anywhere for at least 2 more years, probably 3. Their plan appears to be to bottom out this year (and probably next) while retaining cap space for a run at the glut of prospective FA's in the summer of 2016. The pressure on Danny should be nailing the lottery picks in 2015 and 2016. That's their best bet at getting stars I think.
Looking at my gucci, and it's about that time...

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 03:58:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
No. This sets up the long rebuild.

Low pressure over shot to medium term. Pressure won't crank up until 3-5 years from now.

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 03:58:39 PM »

Offline Casey @ Bat

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
The only pressure he would face would be from the owners. IMO there is full confidence there, Danny has done a whole lot of wheeling and dealing in the last year and a half. The'll let him see how it all plays out.

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 04:02:15 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Well, there's probably going to be some cashing in within a year

I don't know if we'd be able to keep all the players from all the draft picks

I'm glad we have a definite direction now (even though the future is a little murky)
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 04:11:16 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Low pressure over shot to medium term. Pressure won't crank up until 3-5 years from now.

Just to put it out there.

We have 6 first round picks in two years, more in the next few. We can't be using all those 6 and draft players can't we? That's too many young guys and too many guaranteed contracts.

At some point he has to flip some of that in a year or two, get an established player or move up in the draft and get a blue chip prospect or two?

He cant be stashing those picks and using it as is, right?

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 04:13:31 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Exactly the pressure was to add to the team and build around Rondo. Once that failed the pressure would be to either trade/resign Rondo.

Now that's done, no pressure for another two years minimum, probably longer. Ainge will get Dumars like time to rebuild.

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 04:13:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Expect another few years of bottom feeding.  We were a bad team with or without Rondo.  Just gotta have patience here.

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 04:14:34 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

We have 6 first round picks in two years, more in the next few. We can't be using all those 6 and draft players can't we? That's too many young guys and too many guaranteed contracts.

At some point he has to flip some of that in a year or two, get an established player or move up in the draft and get a blue chip prospect or two?

Why can't we?

Who else on this team other than the rookie contract guys will still be here? I mean I'd expect he'll explore using those picks to move up or do other things, but we easily can use them to field a very young and cheap team.

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 04:15:57 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Tough to tell what Danny Ainge is doing. This is video of him immediately after making the trade

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 04:17:19 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Why can't we?

Who else on this team other than the rookie contract guys will still be here? I mean I'd expect he'll explore using those picks to move up or do other things, but we easily can use them to field a very young and cheap team.

That's fair.

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 04:22:34 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

Tough to tell what Danny Ainge is doing. This is video of him immediately after making the trade

Hahaha

TP!
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 06:26:27 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

I think Ainge should try to combine the picks and use them to move up in the draft. There are already a few young players here already so adding 6 more isn't a great situation.

For example, try trading two late firsts to get a mid first rounder. You see teams trading two picks in the teens (15-20) to move up to the late lottery (10-12 range). I remember Houston one year traded three first rounders (#13, 18 and 23) to move up to the lottery and got the #7 pick for their three firsts.

That is the type of thing I'd like to see Ainge do. Try to consolidate those picks to move up in the draft. Go for quality over quantity since Celtics already have quite a few young players on the books already.

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 06:35:23 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Ainge is a freaking genius.

I love what he is doing.

Six first round picks in the next two years.