Author Topic: Superb article on the Rondo trade by Lowe - Mavs taking a risk  (Read 12645 times)

Re: Superb article on the Rondo trade by Lowe - Mavs taking a risk
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2014, 04:39:13 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I mean, if that's actually your position on what happened then I'm going to advise anyone and everyone to take your posts about as seriously as something from First Take, since it belies a clear misunderstanding of how things work in terms of the news.

I am glad you hold so much power on this board that you can influence how others interact with my posts. I also don't get how your clear personal attack is reasonable (or within forum rules). Being results orientated is kind of foolish on this. The fact that a guy with an expiring contract that was not playing very well was traded was a pretty likely scenario. Jackie is throwing tons of stuff out there, and appearing on garbage shows on ESPN that are designed for entertainment rather than news represents a clear change from her role as journalist.

You are entitled to your opinion, but taking the condescending approach of telling how other posters should react to me and saying I don't understand things because I have a different opinion is not helpful in providing constructive conversation.

Just as an aside: everything about the broken clock comment is results oriented, which makes this post kind of hilarious. Much safer to stick with something like 'hindsight bias', if you want to critique the quote.  ;)

However, while I have no interest in dredging up the argument the fine posters at CB had over the merits of the comment as it happened, your frivolous response indicates that you might have missed it, and should perhaps revisit it.

I am glad you find the posts hilarious and continue to mock my viewpoint and posts in a condescending and insulting manner. Why you need to act this way with another fan of the same team as you that views something differently is beyond me but makes the board really unpleasant.

« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2014, 04:44:20 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
When Ainge has made good moves, it's always been because he sticks to a simple philosophy: don't overreact to a situation, wait for another team to be more desperate.

DUde... he's been trying to trade Rondo for 5 years.  He wasn't going to overreact... he was going to wait for a team to become desperate.  He waited... and waited... and waited...

Ultimately nobody wanted Rondo, because he's an obscenely overrated player who plays the most loaded position in the league and he doesn't help teams win.   

At the end, Boston ended up being the desperate team.  We either needed to trade him for garbage or lose him for nothing. 

We got a better draft pick by trading our coach.  Rondo was worthless on the market.

So right. I have to admit, I always disagreed with your sentiments over these years and was a Rondo apologist.  This trade made me see the forest through the trees. This was without a doubt the best and only move Danny could make.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2014, 04:45:11 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I mean, if that's actually your position on what happened then I'm going to advise anyone and everyone to take your posts about as seriously as something from First Take, since it belies a clear misunderstanding of how things work in terms of the news.

I am glad you hold so much power on this board that you can influence how others interact with my posts. I also don't get how your clear personal attack is reasonable (or within forum rules). Being results orientated is kind of foolish on this. The fact that a guy with an expiring contract that was not playing very well was traded was a pretty likely scenario. Jackie is throwing tons of stuff out there, and appearing on garbage shows on ESPN that are designed for entertainment rather than news represents a clear change from her role as journalist.

You are entitled to your opinion, but taking the condescending approach of telling how other posters should react to me and saying I don't understand things because I have a different opinion is not helpful in providing constructive conversation.

Just as an aside: everything about the broken clock comment is results oriented, which makes this post kind of hilarious. Much safer to stick with something like 'hindsight bias', if you want to critique the quote.  ;)

However, while I have no interest in dredging up the argument the fine posters at CB had over the merits of the comment as it happened, your frivolous response indicates that you might have missed it, and should perhaps revisit it.

I am glad you find the posts hilarious and continue to mock my viewpoint and posts in a condescending and insulting manner. Why you need to act this way with another fan of the same team as you that views something differently is beyond me but makes the board really unpleasant.

It's not condescension, it's a correction, no offense meant. The 'inevitable' Rondo trade was hardly seen as such back in August, or even earlier this week -- on the blog, or on record. As such, your comment doesn't hold much water unless you go full 1984 and revise history, which makes your broken clock comment laughable, or, as originally postulated, worthy of an eye roll.

Have a nice evening.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2014, 04:48:39 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

It's not condescension, it's a correction, no offense meant. The 'inevitable' Rondo trade was hardly seen as such back in August, or even earlier this week -- on the blog, or on record. As such, your comment doesn't hold much water unless you go full 1984 and revise history, which makes your broken clock comment laughable, or, as originally postulated, worthy of an eye roll.

Have a nice evening.

I guess you are kind of missing the point, and repeatedly being dismissive and insulting in the process.

Also if you can't get your point across that you disagree with me without calling my opinions laughable, using eye rolls or saying you must advise other posters to not take me seriously that just represents weakness on your part, not mine.

« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2014, 04:50:36 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Since you edited out that delightfully droll face'd gif in your response from earlier, may I borrow it for this one, please?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2014, 04:55:04 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Since you edited out that delightfully droll face'd gif in your response from earlier, may I borrow it for this one, please?

I did that in response to your eye roll and I immediately regretted that I had stooped to your level so I deleted it. That was a mistake on my part and I apologize for briefly engaging in that manner cause like I have said it just makes the board worse.

While I realize this is a pretty fruitless exercise on a message board filled with it, I am just trying to communicate that you can disagree with me without the insults and condescending responses attached.

If everyone did this the board would be a nicer place and at this point we have derailed the thread so I will bow out.

« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2014, 04:59:12 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

Unfortunately for your argument Jackie didn't even say it on live air. She dropped it casually on Isola during a commercial break.

Are we really to believe that the routine they do on these shows every episode going back about 8 years on PTI where they are casually talking and don't know they are being filmed?

Also, my point is just because someone makes a prediction of a likely event and it comes true. It doesn't mean that they knew anything. I think a lot of people could have said 3 weeks ago
"Cespedes doesn't really fit in with the Red Sox clubhouse and they are looking to trade him for anyone that can pitch a few innings at the major league level"

Bam we all knew something cause our likely prediction came true..

Does Jackie Mac really have that bad a track record that would cause you to think she just got lucky vs. actually knowing something? I think she deserves the benefit of the doubt here. My guess is someone somewhere told her something.

Your example is a little bit different. Saying Rondo was likely to get dealt is different from asserting that he wanted out before the season even started. That's a pretty bold claim and not one backed up by as much evident proof as one about Rondo's likelihood of getting dealt or Cespedes' likelihood of getting dealt.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2014, 05:14:03 PM »

Offline jwl3

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 5
Article is fine. Would still rather Rindo be on the team. Only posting to get rid of Jameer Nelson as my "position".

« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2014, 05:42:29 PM »

Offline thehumburger

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
The Mavs already had the best offense in the league and were playing at a 58-win pace. I don't think Rondo will improve them in either area. He could help them defensively on the perimeter and boards, both areas where they're lacking (even Rondo's declined defense is a big upgrade over Jameer Nelson). But I think the main reason they got him is the Mavs are 0-5 against teams ahead of them in the West, all of whom have elite to excellent point guards, and their offense actually sputtered in some of those games. They're hoping Rondo can give them an edge to compete against those teams specifically and obviously in the playoffs, where they were looking at a first round exit if they did nothing.

« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2014, 05:45:32 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

+1

« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2014, 05:52:50 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Am I wrong, or was this Rondo guy not averaging 10.8 assists per game and leading the league playing with a team with no bonafide shooters? That'a all I am asking. Also, I guess this Lowe guy is one of the few ESPN/Grantland guys who knows anything about basketball, because it seems all I read here is how all of these guys are idiots -- oh, except when their writing supports my opinion -- then they are brilliant.

« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2014, 05:56:39 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Also, I guess this Lowe guy is one of the few ESPN/Grantland guys who knows anything about basketball, because it seems all I read here is how all of these guys are idiots -- oh, except when their writing supports my opinion -- then they are brilliant.

Haven't you heard? The broken clocks are right twice a day.

« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2014, 05:58:27 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
When Ainge has made good moves, it's always been because he sticks to a simple philosophy: don't overreact to a situation, wait for another team to be more desperate.

This time he completely lost his head and Mark Cuban gave him his own medicine. Stuff like "the market just wasn't there" IMO is what commentators say - smart league execs know circumstances change like the wind. What if Derrick Rose goes down in a month? If one team becomes desperate, Ainge could have got leverage, started a bidding war and got something real that he actually wanted.

Waiting would have made the worst-case scenario slightly worse and the best-case scenario an actual trade instead of a fire sale.

BTW - Mavs taking a risk. Yeah, it's sports. Nothing goes according to plan. It doesn't mean you shouldn't seek fair value on your deals.

In the last 2 years how many teams called to seriously inquire about obtaining Rondo?  How long do you expect Danny to have to wait?  Until Rondo walks without us getting compensated?

if no one is looking for him, then WHERE is he going to go..?

« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2014, 06:00:00 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
mavs took no risk.,.and we had to throw in powelll..? terrible...

« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2014, 06:04:43 PM »

Offline KingChre

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 21
mavs took no risk.,.and we had to throw in powelll..? terrible...

Powell was included because the Celtics roster was at the maximum of 15 before the trade. Powell, being a minimum salaried player, was the only realistic choice to be included to make the trade work under the cap and NBA roster restrictions.
Looking at my gucci, and it's about that time...