Author Topic: C's will have a ton of cap room , will any free agents want to come here ?  (Read 5471 times)

Offline KingChre

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 21
The Celtics have never lured a big free agent and none of this will ever change unless the Celtics relocated to a warmclimate or somewhere that has more marketing opportunities.

This line of thinking is beginning to frustrate me. Can you tell me when the Celtics have ever had the opportunity to sign a big free agent? Because they have never, I repeat NEVER, been in the cap situation they are in now. You can't strike out when you aren't at bat. People are acting as if they have constantly been left out in the cold (no pun intended) while chasing players.

Can you name me one free agent that the Celtics have ever legitimately pursued that wouldn't sign here because of the weather or marketing opportunities? BTW, I think that the marketing aspect is a complete non-starter. Does Oklahoma City have more marketing opportunities than Boston? Of course not, and yet both Durant and Westbrook elected to stay there. Is it the weather? No, its's because they are a winning organization. In today's world, location is hardly an impediment to making money from endorsements.

Back to my greater point regarding failed free agent pursuits. You could maybe argue David West, but he signed in Indiana because he liked their chances of winning better, not because the weather was an issue. And I would hardly call him a top free agent.

Looking at my gucci, and it's about that time...