Author Topic: C's will have a ton of cap room , will any free agents want to come here ?  (Read 5454 times)

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'd be willing to throw money at Paul Millsap and one of Robin Lopez or Omer Asik.

Yes please.

I already posted that we should offer Robin a 4 year/$40 million contract, which will be somewhat hard to refuse. And i think it will still be all worth it.

Same for Omer Asik, although Id prioritize Lopez more because he can hit FT's.

RoLo is in a good situation, so the Celtics would probably have to overpay.  A lot of Blazer fans think he will get $12m/year minimum and are worried that Portland would have to give him $15m/year to keep him.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
On Lopez... Portland could sign him for 4 yrs / $51.6M and then trade him for our trade exception and a pick, correct?

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Say we trade Bass and Green for another draft pick and some prospects and expirings

we will likely have 30-40 mil in cap space

1) Would any unrestricted max free agent want to come here? (15-20 mil per)

Aldridge ( Staying in Portland)
Gasol ( Not leaving Mem)
Hibbert        (Might be attracted if Jeff Green is here )
Lopez ( Too injury prone, soft defense and rebounding)
Big Al ( While he has great skill offensively, he isn't the defense anchor we need)
Monroe    ( Would fit very well in the rebuild, move him back to center where he belongs)
Jordan ( Not worth the max )
Dragic(He could be a great fit next to Smart and Bradley, Not sure if he is worth max?)

So to me out of this list it's Dragic, Hibbert and monroe who would be the best  max contracts to go after ( or close to max)

Hibbert is only coming if we have Jeff Green, but I think Green will be gone , so main targets should be Dragic and Monroe for max players .

2) Restricted free agents who will get offered max contracts

Kawhi Leonard (Spurs will likely relent to a max contract )
Jimmy Butler ( Chicago likely matches a max as insurance for Rose)
Reggie Jackson ( Not worth it with Smart here ) 

I would throw max contracts at Leonard and Butler , but I see both the Spurs and Bulls matching.

3) Second-tier unrestricted free agents (8-14 mil per year)

Robin Lopez ( relatively young and good defender, c's likely have interest)
Omer Asik  ( C's could have some interest )
Tobias Harris ( orlando likely matches , not a max player to overpay for )
David West ( Goes to a contender)
Paul Millsap ( could replace Green's scoring if we trade him, but likely goes to vet team)
Gerald Henderson (Already have money tied up in an average SG)
Aaron Aflflalo (Goes to a contender )
Kosta Koufus ( not worth tying money up in )
Brandon Wright ( C's could re-sign if he shows he is the real deal)
Amir Johnson ( pretty much the same player as Brandon Wright)
Wes Matthews ( to similar to Smart and AB)
Ernes Kanter ( is restricted , but might be able to get him in a S+t with a pick )

So to me our main targets should be
UFA Max Targets = Dragic, Hibbert, Monroe
RFA Max Targets = Khawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler
2nd tier Targets = R. Lopez, Asik, Kanter, Wright, Johnson

Does this look right?  Who would you want from this list ?

Could potentially have a roster of

PG: Smart          / AB
SG: Dragic          / Young
SF: Top 5 pick    / 
PF: Sully            / KO
 C: Monroe        / Zellar

Plus all our picks to land some more big fish ( including whatever other assets we end up with by the deadline)

Dallas's very talented point guard will also be an unrestricted FA. Perhaps we can coerce a few tidbits from Celticsbloggers as to his anticipated value.

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'd be willing to throw money at Paul Millsap and one of Robin Lopez or Omer Asik.

Yes please.

I already posted that we should offer Robin a 4 year/$40 million contract, which will be somewhat hard to refuse. And i think it will still be all worth it.

Same for Omer Asik, although Id prioritize Lopez more because he can hit FT's.

RoLo is in a good situation, so the Celtics would probably have to overpay.  A lot of Blazer fans think he will get $12m/year minimum and are worried that Portland would have to give him $15m/year to keep him.

The problem with signing Lopez is that he is the kind of center that basically every team would like to have on their roster. He has the length, is a good guy, plays very good defense, is totally unselfish on offense, and hits his free throws. Everybody will be surprised by his next contract, but they really shouldn't be.

Basically what I am saying is, you are right!

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Dallas's very talented point guard will also be an unrestricted FA. Perhaps we can coerce a few tidbits from Celticsbloggers as to his anticipated value.

Wouldn't it be amazing if we then went out and signed Rondo in the offseason (along with say Jordan and Butler) - it would make all of this worthwhile.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I would like to sign Koufos in the off-season. He will give Celtics defensive integrity in the paint. I think that is important for developing a defense-first culture. I don't think it is good for young players coming into teams where there is no semblance of interior defense. It breeds bad habits.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Wouldn't it be amazing if we then went out and signed Rondo in the offseason (along with say Jordan and Butler) - it would make all of this worthwhile.

I really thought that was happening with Lester...

Offline Rondohara

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
Not one of these names is really interesting.

Monroe, Dragic and another center is not the worst of worlds. But I doubt they would want to come here. On the other hand... Ainge will have to sign someone, or maybe not, he'll go the 76ers dumb route and fill the team with D-Leaguers only.
Goal for next season: Top 2 seed.
Say goodbye to: Turner, Zeller, Sully.

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
A question I had after the trade...

Since we are already at 74M in salary, what use is a giant trade exception?  It's not as though we're going to absorb a $12M contract and push our payroll over 86M.  Likewise, a year from now we'll be well under the cap and the exception still won't matter.

Am I thinking about this right?

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Seeming as though they can get traded any time, any day? Probably not.

Granted, they get traded in good situations. But would you be willing to commit to a team that only treats you as a chess piece?
As opposed to all other teams, who treat you like what?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

Since we are already at 74M in salary, what use is a giant trade exception?  It's not as though we're going to absorb a $12M contract and push our payroll over 86M.  Likewise, a year from now we'll be well under the cap and the exception still won't matter.

The exception is good for 1 year.

Check out our cap situation for next year:
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/boston.htm

If you assume Green opts out, Nelson and Wallace are moved, we're all the way down to $24M.

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
The Celtics have never lured a big free agent and none of this will ever change unless the Celtics relocated to a warmclimate or somewhere that has more marketing opportunities.

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

If you assume Green opts out, Nelson and Wallace are moved, we're all the way down to $24M.
Right.  So, the celtics could use this exception to absorb $12M in unequal salary in a trade, but they never will.  It's useless.  Anybody have any other insight?

Offline Rondohara

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15

Why they will be moved? To lose a pick?
The opposite is more likely to happen, Ainge trade expirings (and Green) for bad contracts to get another pick  >:(
So there won't be all that cap space.
Goal for next season: Top 2 seed.
Say goodbye to: Turner, Zeller, Sully.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Boston needs to go the Philly route at least one more year (i.e. no moves this summer to make the team slightly better).  It may not be what we want to hear, but Boston just needs to be bad for awhile and land the players to build around in the next draft.  You know do what Cleveland did, be terrible, but get players and then right before you have to pay them use your cap space on A-List free agents.  If the Cavs didn't have Irving, Waiters, and Wiggins, Lebron would have opted back in Miami and not returned to Cleveland until 2016.  Having the young "star" players and cap space is what drew James back to Cleveland earlier then most everyone expected.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip