Author Topic: C's will have a ton of cap room , will any free agents want to come here ?  (Read 5473 times)

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
You may resign Green if he stays past deadline and sign Monroe and that is very unlikely. Other than that I can't see any other FA moves at all. I believe you have to see the FA 2 years out. Those are the FAs we should target.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
A Smart/Jackson fit would have many of the same issues Charlotte's currently experiencing with their Walker/Stephenson back court.  Not a single one of those four players is a great shooter or off-the-ball player.
I'm shocked Reggie is shooting this poorly from 3, he shot 34% last season. As the season goes along I expect his shooting to approach that number. Which I think would be good enough to space the floor.

I also see Smart eventually hitting in the mid 30 percent from 3.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Is there any way Jordan leaves LAC? He would make a lot more sense of the Sully/KO combo.

Also, we should be able to dump off Wallace for a first at some point this next off-season. If we really wanted to go for it, we could send off AB for a TPE and have the ability to offer three near-max contracts a la Miami Heat with James, Wade, and Bosh or take on another teams disgruntled star for cap space and picks. Does our 12.9 mill TPE still carry over on top of that? I realize this isn't likely, but when you are going nowhere you might as well totally clear house and then see what comes together.

At the very least, you have your young assets and more picks than you can even imagine.

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I don't see this group of players attracting any major free agents unless they are young and feel that they can be a number one option to boost their stats. A lot of free agents are going to want to look to go to a contender or at least a playoff team. We are going to have to make trades to get back to contention.

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
With no bad contracts on the books, I think you have to consider paying Hibbert unless we are confident we can draft our center of the future and have him develop fast enough. Especially with the salary cap set to grow, $15M is not crazy. Yeah, ideally he's worth $10M or whatever, but we can afford it. He's still young, elite defensively, and we don't have to ask him to do too much.

Then we could, for example, do a S&T for either Jimmy Butler or Kawhi Leonard - whichever team blinks in the face of a lot of draft picks coming back. Suppose we send Bradley and a pile of draft picks (3x 1st rounders?).

Believe it or not, we'd still have enough money to sign Dragic if we can unload Wallace with Green prior.

Smart ($3.4M)
Dragic ($15M)
Butler ($15M)
Sullinger ($2.3M)
Hibbert ($15M)
bench: Young ($1.7M), Olynyk ($2.2M), Zeller ($2.6M), Turner ($3.4M)

TOTAL: $60.6M

If afterwards we could make use of our $12.9M exception, we could go over the cap for someone like DeRozan (let's say Toronto knows he is gone after next year as a FA and we send them James Young and a pick).

Yeah yeah, a million unlikely ifs, but how fun is this squad?

Smart
Dragic / DeRozan
Butler / DeRozan
Sullinger / KO
Hibbert / Zeller

Offline KingChre

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 21
I've always argued with those who said Boston couldn't attract FAs for whatever reason they threw out because the C's were never in a position to bid on top FA's. 

they should have some cap room this offseason but now that they have a crappy roster without anyone close to an established 'building block' player on it, what top FA would wan to sign here?

just to go a step further, without any established talent, why would we want to sign a top FA?  we'd need at least 2 to make it worthwhile or be able to acquire one in a trade to lure another top player as a FA

Umm...because if they signed a top FA, they would then have some established talent. Pretty basic really.
Looking at my gucci, and it's about that time...

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I've always argued with those who said Boston couldn't attract FAs for whatever reason they threw out because the C's were never in a position to bid on top FA's. 

they should have some cap room this offseason but now that they have a crappy roster without anyone close to an established 'building block' player on it, what top FA would wan to sign here?

just to go a step further, without any established talent, why would we want to sign a top FA?  we'd need at least 2 to make it worthwhile or be able to acquire one in a trade to lure another top player as a FA

Umm...because if they signed a top FA, they would then have some established talent. Pretty basic really.
hardly.

my point is that I don't think they'll be able to sign just one UNLESS they bring in another really good player via trade.  if they don't trade for someone, they'll most likely have to negotiate with 2 at the same time with the understanding that their goal is to sign both.  I can't see any really good FA wanting to come here to wallow on a bad team unless they're strictly in it for the money.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't see this group of players attracting any major free agents unless they are young and feel that they can be a number one option to boost their stats. A lot of free agents are going to want to look to go to a contender or at least a playoff team. We are going to have to make trades to get back to contention.
my point exactly

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
my point exactly

Yeah, at this point you'd really only want and expect someone like Leonard or Butler who still has room to grow. I think Butler will command more than Green. If Chicago's not willing to go into the luxury tax, maybe we could work out a sign and trade with Butler and Green, if he opts out. I think Green would be an excellent fit in Chicago, but we'd probably have to attach a first, too.

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
For the past couple of years DA has been pretty good at churning and turning castoffs into good role players.  When we didn't have any cap space those little moves were pretty much all he could do.  But the time for all of those little deals to make slight improvements is really over.

If he moves Green, Bass and Thorton then he is going to have the cap space to make much larger deals.  Hopefully he can make the right decisions once we have a lot more options open to us in developing the roster.  I just hope it doesn't take another 5 years, much less 10-20.

Offline KingChre

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 21

hardly.

my point is that I don't think they'll be able to sign just one UNLESS they bring in another really good player via trade.  if they don't trade for someone, they'll most likely have to negotiate with 2 at the same time with the understanding that their goal is to sign both.  I can't see any really good FA wanting to come here to wallow on a bad team unless they're strictly in it for the money.

Yeah I get your point, I just don't think it makes any sense. So you are suggesting that if the Celtics had an opportunity to sign a FA, they would say "No, its not worth it, we don't have any other good players." Obviously the Celtics would want as much talent as possible. Bringing in someone , even if it requires an overpay (likely), could in theory attract other players.

The Celtics have had exactly one chance to sign a top FA. The summer when they re-signed KG. So any comparisons to past off seasons when they have basically never even been able to offer a max deal to anyone are irrelevant. I'm not ready to write off any players who would sign here as strictly about the money either. Not everyone's priority is warm weather.
Looking at my gucci, and it's about that time...

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

hardly.

I agree that we have no chance of signing a veteran free agent unless we out bid the other teams by an enormous margin. The exception being Hibbert on the oft chance we keep Green and he wants to play with his friend (which is unlikely).

However, if we go for a restricted free agent using our picks to secure a sign and trade, the player will probably be happy with a big contract and thinks that the team can grow into a winning team.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'd be willing to throw money at Paul Millsap and one of Robin Lopez or Omer Asik.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'd be willing to throw money at Paul Millsap and one of Robin Lopez or Omer Asik.

Yes please.

I already posted that we should offer Robin a 4 year/$40 million contract, which will be somewhat hard to refuse. And i think it will still be all worth it.

Same for Omer Asik, although Id prioritize Lopez more because he can hit FT's.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

Yup any of these guys. I'd rather Aldridge but that's a long shot
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)