Author Topic: C's will have a ton of cap room , will any free agents want to come here ?  (Read 5463 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Say we trade Bass and Green for another draft pick and some prospects and expirings

we will likely have 30-40 mil in cap space

1) Would any unrestricted max free agent want to come here? (15-20 mil per)

Aldridge ( Staying in Portland)
Gasol ( Not leaving Mem)
Hibbert        (Might be attracted if Jeff Green is here )
Lopez ( Too injury prone, soft defense and rebounding)
Big Al ( While he has great skill offensively, he isn't the defense anchor we need)
Monroe    ( Would fit very well in the rebuild, move him back to center where he belongs)
Jordan ( Not worth the max )
Dragic(He could be a great fit next to Smart and Bradley, Not sure if he is worth max?)

So to me out of this list it's Dragic, Hibbert and monroe who would be the best  max contracts to go after ( or close to max)

Hibbert is only coming if we have Jeff Green, but I think Green will be gone , so main targets should be Dragic and Monroe for max players .

2) Restricted free agents who will get offered max contracts

Kawhi Leonard (Spurs will likely relent to a max contract )
Jimmy Butler ( Chicago likely matches a max as insurance for Rose)
Reggie Jackson ( Not worth it with Smart here ) 

I would throw max contracts at Leonard and Butler , but I see both the Spurs and Bulls matching.

3) Second-tier unrestricted free agents (8-14 mil per year)

Robin Lopez ( relatively young and good defender, c's likely have interest)
Omer Asik  ( C's could have some interest )
Tobias Harris ( orlando likely matches , not a max player to overpay for )
David West ( Goes to a contender)
Paul Millsap ( could replace Green's scoring if we trade him, but likely goes to vet team)
Gerald Henderson (Already have money tied up in an average SG)
Aaron Aflflalo (Goes to a contender )
Kosta Koufus ( not worth tying money up in )
Brandon Wright ( C's could re-sign if he shows he is the real deal)
Amir Johnson ( pretty much the same player as Brandon Wright)
Wes Matthews ( to similar to Smart and AB)
Ernes Kanter ( is restricted , but might be able to get him in a S+t with a pick )

So to me our main targets should be
UFA Max Targets = Dragic, Hibbert, Monroe
RFA Max Targets = Khawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler
2nd tier Targets = R. Lopez, Asik, Kanter, Wright, Johnson

Does this look right?  Who would you want from this list ?

Could potentially have a roster of

PG: Smart          / AB
SG: Dragic          / Young
SF: Top 5 pick    / 
PF: Sully            / KO
 C: Monroe        / Zellar

Plus all our picks to land some more big fish ( including whatever other assets we end up with by the deadline)

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Seeming as though they can get traded any time, any day? Probably not.

Granted, they get traded in good situations. But would you be willing to commit to a team that only treats you as a chess piece?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Granted, they get traded in good situations. But would you be willing to commit to a team that only treats you as a chess piece?

shaq got traded , anyone can get traded  . I mean, if we put up the money I could see a Monroe coming here, but do we want to tie up our money in the Monroes and Dragic's of the free agent world?

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Yeah, this was my point in the Rondo trade thread.

Having cap space does not mean anyone will sign with you.

Who exactly is Boston gonna attract over say Los Angeles or a NYC team?

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Thanks a lot for the detailed breakdown.  Isn't Dragic planning on opting out, and then resigning with the  Suns?  Or that is what I remember from a few months ago.  Would love to have him though for the right price.

Does anyone with the salary cap info know our cap number if the three following events occur:

1)  Green isn't traded, but declines his player option for next year
2)  Bass is traded and we bring back similar salary
3)  We choose not to resign Wright for whatever reason

Are we really in the 30-40million range?

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I think just about any player will go just about anywhere if you throw enough money at them.

But time will tell. I hear Monroe's not great defensively, but I'm open to seeing what he can do in green. He's a low-post player, which I love.

I don't want Hibbert—too inconsistent.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I've always argued with those who said Boston couldn't attract FAs for whatever reason they threw out because the C's were never in a position to bid on top FA's. 

they should have some cap room this offseason but now that they have a crappy roster without anyone close to an established 'building block' player on it, what top FA would wan to sign here?

just to go a step further, without any established talent, why would we want to sign a top FA?  we'd need at least 2 to make it worthwhile or be able to acquire one in a trade to lure another top player as a FA

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

And players opt out/leave via free agency.  It's a two way street, most modern athletes get that.

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
One quibble: Wes Mathews isn't that much like Bradley and Smart. Deadly perimeter shooter like that is one of our needs.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Nope -- not unless Ainge grossly overpays them.

So no A-Listers or probably even B-List talent. Looking at C-list talent that Ainge has to offer up $15-20 million more than rival bids in order to get to them sign here.

Still, that can work out successfully so long as you target the right up and coming young player who has room to improve dramatically after you get him. Like Utah did years ago with Boozer and Okur. Or the Wizards did with Gilbert Arenas. Those are the types of signings Ainge needs to target now because he isn't going to get any of the big name guys. Young up and coming players with lots of room improvement because they are going to need that upside to make up for how much Ainge is going to have to overpay them to get them here.

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

And players opt out/leave via free agency.  It's a two way street, most modern athletes get that.

Thats fair. Point taken.

All im saying is there maybe a stigma now. Its hard enough for us to lure free agents as it is. Now add to it that it seems like you can be moved any time, any where, it'll be a deciding factor for players if they want to commit to Boston or not.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Reggie Jackson ( Not worth it with Smart here ) 
A two PG guard backcourt with Smart and Reggie Jackson could be very good together.

They have enough physical size and defensive chops to retain Boston's integrity as a defensive + rebounding unit despite playing two PGs. On offense, shared ball-handling and playmaking duties could help one another out.

It depends a lot on what Smart shows the rest of the season but he has been pretty uncomfortable as main creator thus far. He regularly allows Evan Turner to be main creator when they are on the floor together. Getting a 2nd PG and playing a two guard backcourt could be a very good option for Marcus Smart.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Don't agree with some of your cross offs.
1. Jimmy Butler (the owner of the Bulls has never been willing to pay the tax, paying Butler the max contract that he is worth would certainly put them way into tax territory, maybe we could pry him away with a sign and trade if they aren't willing to pay him)
2. Reggie Jackson (both Jackson and Smart have the size to guard 2's and are more combo/scoring guards by nature, I think playing them together would be a great back court of the future)

I think those are the two guys along with Kawhi that we should inquire about sign and trades with.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I think we should play this thing out until G. Wallace's contract is up. Lets take on bad contracts that expire with him for assets/picks. Lets give Smart and James Young some time...especially James IMO.

Just because we have the money to spend does not mean we take the scraps and commit to them long term when we have possibly Young talent coming up. The free agents will come if they see a good situation and a chance to make money and win. We still need to evaluate...imo

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
A Smart/Jackson fit would have many of the same issues Charlotte's currently experiencing with their Walker/Stephenson back court.  Not a single one of those four players is a great shooter or off-the-ball player.