Author Topic: What are we going to do with all these late 1st round picks?  (Read 2470 times)

What are we going to do with all these late 1st round picks?
« on: December 19, 2014, 10:41:53 AM »

Offline Rodan45

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
When the topic of the late first round picks comes up (LAC and now DAL) people always say that we're going to package them in a deal, but is there really any trade value in them?

Re: What are we going to do with all these late 1st round picks?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 10:53:12 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
That's what I'm scared off.

While there's a chance that we can flip those for something useful, I'm afraid that we may end up not being able to move it, therefore drafting a contract that me end up at the end of the bench, costing us cap room and a roster spot.

Man, I don't want another Melo, Brooks nor JaJuan...
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 10:54:45 AM »

Offline dysgenic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
I think there is value, but only a limited amount of value.  Meaning we might be able to move up in the draft, but not to the top 5.  Top 10?  Maybe.

I think you stand pat, make the picks, and hope you get a Rondo, Parker, Ginobli, etc...

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 10:57:50 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I think there is value, but only a limited amount of value.  Meaning we might be able to move up in the draft, but not to the top 5.  Top 10?  Maybe.

I think you stand pat, make the picks, and hope you get a Rondo, Parker, Ginobli, etc...

This is my concern.

Were building through hope. That's not a good plan.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 10:58:50 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237
Someone said this yesterday. Let's grab some Euros and stash them.

If the picks can't facilitate trades, let's get some Euros that we know won't be coming over for a couple of years. That way, even if they have decent talent, their draft value will be a little less and we can grab them with our late picks.

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 11:01:16 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
I think the idea is adding them to your pick, which should be in the top 10, for a top five or higher pick. If we tell Orlando, who has pick 2 let's say, we will give you 5, 22, 27 and our 2nd rounder for #2, don't they think about it?

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 11:02:15 AM »

Offline Rodan45

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3

This is my concern.

+1

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 11:02:15 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
When the topic of the late first round picks comes up (LAC and now DAL) people always say that we're going to package them in a deal, but is there really any trade value in them?
they are very very valuable to danny's master plan. it is simple, really. ainge watched the big three get old, something that happens to every player, and he learned. ainge now has a solution to the problem of having your players grow old and lose their abilities.

if a team just drafts a boat load of new players each and every year and it never has to worry about its players aging!!!! this is a brilliant master plan by ainge.

no more having to cover our eyes as KG lumbers up and down the court. or watching pierce NOT have any lift left in in his legs.

green getting gray? no problem, ainge will have dozens of draft choices to restock the team. it is the grecian formula (tm) of the nba!

ainge has done what so many spanish explorers failed to do as they engaged in genocidal acts against native americans....ainge has discovered the fountain of youth for the celtics!

so, you doubt the wisdom of ainge for attempting to acquire every single draft pick in the next few years? ha, i say! HA to your incredulity and lack of faith in ainge.

youth will be served.

;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 11:02:59 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Pictured: A Euro 'Stashe.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 02:14:50 PM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20

This is my concern.

Some of these comments make me laugh.  That's hilarious.  Pessimist much?

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 02:16:56 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
Some are gonna have to get moved.  I just can't imagine all these picks are actually made by the Celtics.   You'd be talking about some serious roster turnover and a young team that would extend into the 2020s.  I don't see that happening. 

At some point, some of these "assets" have to get cashed in and not in the form of another rookie in the draft.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 02:19:33 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
I think the idea is adding them to your pick, which should be in the top 10, for a top five or higher pick. If we tell Orlando, who has pick 2 let's say, we will give you 5, 22, 27 and our 2nd rounder for #2, don't they think about it?

This is even more realistic this year, because it's a center-heavy draft and most of the teams that might land in front of us are stacked with bigs.

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 02:23:48 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Package them with a player like Green, Bass, or Wallace (next year) as expiring deals for a solid player. Those picks wont bring the next Lebron or KD
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 02:38:13 PM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
Package them with a player like Green, Bass, or Wallace (next year) as expiring deals for a solid player. Those picks wont bring the next Lebron or KD

I know it's a no no but even a guy like Sully.  I know some people consider Sully irreplaceable but i'm not so sure about that.  Just was reading nbadraft.net has us taking montrazl Harrell.  It's not like he couldn't take sully's spot on this team.

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 02:38:14 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Rondo was drafted 21 and Ainge has a good eye.  So there' s that.

Also, I'm thinking of the McDermott trade, where the 16th and 19th picks were traded for the 11th pick in a strong draft.  I think we can package the Mavs & Cavs picks for like the 13th or 14th pick which will be nice, or even just let Ainge draft two decent rotation players.  We're likely to get some talent either way.