Author Topic: Jae Crowder - whats the scouting report?  (Read 13410 times)

Jae Crowder - whats the scouting report?
« on: December 19, 2014, 08:55:53 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Also is he a good fit under CBS?

He looks like a little bulldog

Re: Jae Crowder - whats the scouting report?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 09:07:43 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Good (but not great) defender, preferably on guards.

Poor offensive player who struggles with his shot.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 09:11:19 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Very aggressive. He's supposed to be a 3 and D guy, but thus far hasn't shown the shooting aspect of his game.

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 09:11:59 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Can be mistaken for Kenneth Faried and DeMarre Carroll when the camera is zoomed out.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 09:14:15 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
He stinks.

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 09:17:34 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
This from a year and a half ago on nbadraft.net:

Overall: Crowder is the classic overachiever who works his butt off, and gets everything he possibly can out of himself ? Skill level is better than most players who play as hard as he does, and it?s really crazy that he was as productive and as efficient as he was this past year with the physical and athletic limitations he has ? He?s short and not particularly agile or explosive, but he?s so smart he?s effective ... Also isn?t gonna need the ball to have an impact as a role player ? Should garner plenty of looks in the 2nd round

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jae-crowder

Sounds like a lot of heart and a lot of smarts but limited physically.

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 09:19:24 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Off hoopshype:

Very physical small forward... Tough... Versatile defender... Efficient three-point shooter... Not very athletic... Doesn't create much off the dribble.

Crowder-

I'm trying to make plays on the other end, not just be one-dimensional. I'm a much better player than just a defensive player, but I do bring a lot of defense to my team and that is what has gotten me on the court in my two years in the league. I'm just trying to grow my game and expand my game as much as possible.

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 09:20:10 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Luckily for Crowder I imagine he'll be encouraged to shoot the 3 as much as he can without regard to result, a la Sully and Okynyk last year.  It worked for those two, so who knows. He's 33% for his career.  Get that up to about 38% and he's viable as a 3&D guy.  He's a restricted free agent with four months to earn a qualifying offer.

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 09:21:55 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 09:24:16 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He's basically only good at defense. Struggles to rebound, shoot, and dribble the ball. He hustles hard so he'll get you steals too.

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 09:24:46 AM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131

This is from espn insiders

Scouting report
+ Listed at 6-foot-6; may be even smaller than that, but plays bigger.
+ Versatile defender who can guard multiple positions in multiple actions.
+ Underrated spot-up shooter, particularly from the corners.

Analysis
Every team needs a Jae Crowder. He's comfortable playing limited minutes off the bench, but can slide into the starting lineup and produce when needed. He is primarily a perimeter-oriented small forward, but is strong enough to mix it up inside. And he's an energy guy with legit skills.

That's hefty praise for a man who averaged 4.6 points per game and 2.5 rebounds per game last season. But dig deeper into his numbers and you'll find a case for more playing time than his 16.1 mpg. The Mavericks were 3.3 points per 100 possessions better on offense with Crowder on the floor and a whopping 11.1 points better on defense. Synergy graded him in the 79th percentile on offense (.986 points per play) and the 84thth percentile on defense (.785 PPP allowed). And he ranked 81st in the league in Real Plus-Minus (1.91). Pretty clearly, even in limited minutes, Crowder is contributing to winning basketball.

Defensively, Crowder is versatile enough to guard the ball-handler or the screener on the pick-and-roll, to chase a shooter around screens or to hold his own in the post. In fact, he ranked in the 80th percentile or better in all of those categories, according to Synergy. On offense, his effective field goal percentage was low (.524), but he excelled both shooting corner 3s (42.2 percent) and finishing at the rim (an astounding 65.2 percent). Those numbers bode well for increased production going forward as the Mavericks take better advantage of his best skills. Now, they need to play him more.
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 09:51:54 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
another player that will be let go at the end of the year.

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 10:12:53 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
Can be mistaken for Kenneth Faried and DeMarre Carroll when the camera is zoomed out.
so, the reason danny wanted crowder was bad photography? sounds plausible to me. tp.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 10:13:56 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
another player that will be let go at the end of the year.

Depends on how he performs.  He also excels in transition ball.

Wright and crowder had strict roles to play. In boston they should get a little more freedom

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 10:13:59 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja

This is from espn insiders

Scouting report
+ Listed at 6-foot-6; may be even smaller than that, but plays bigger.
+ Versatile defender who can guard multiple positions in multiple actions.
+ Underrated spot-up shooter, particularly from the corners.

Analysis
Every team needs a Jae Crowder. He's comfortable playing limited minutes off the bench, but can slide into the starting lineup and produce when needed. He is primarily a perimeter-oriented small forward, but is strong enough to mix it up inside. And he's an energy guy with legit skills.

That's hefty praise for a man who averaged 4.6 points per game and 2.5 rebounds per game last season. But dig deeper into his numbers and you'll find a case for more playing time than his 16.1 mpg. The Mavericks were 3.3 points per 100 possessions better on offense with Crowder on the floor and a whopping 11.1 points better on defense. Synergy graded him in the 79th percentile on offense (.986 points per play) and the 84thth percentile on defense (.785 PPP allowed). And he ranked 81st in the league in Real Plus-Minus (1.91). Pretty clearly, even in limited minutes, Crowder is contributing to winning basketball.

Defensively, Crowder is versatile enough to guard the ball-handler or the screener on the pick-and-roll, to chase a shooter around screens or to hold his own in the post. In fact, he ranked in the 80th percentile or better in all of those categories, according to Synergy. On offense, his effective field goal percentage was low (.524), but he excelled both shooting corner 3s (42.2 percent) and finishing at the rim (an astounding 65.2 percent). Those numbers bode well for increased production going forward as the Mavericks take better advantage of his best skills. Now, they need to play him more.
if crowder in any way shape or form was the reason for this trade, then ainge needs to have himself checked for dementia.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva