Poll

When did Ainge decide to definitely trade Rondo?

Wanted to trade Rondo all along
6 (19.4%)
When Smart was drafted
5 (16.1%)
When we lost Love deal
12 (38.7%)
At start of season
0 (0%)
This week
8 (25.8%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Poll: When was trade decision made  (Read 2533 times)

Poll: When was trade decision made
« on: December 19, 2014, 08:28:32 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
I heard this question on the radio this morning and I think it is interesting.  Danny said publicly that he expected Rondo to have his best season ever and that he was not going to trade him.  Of course GMs can rarely say what they really think.

I have been wondering if something happened recently, some argument or something because this seems to have ramped up in a few days.  No one knows of course but what does everyone think?

Re: Poll: When was trade decision made
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 08:41:29 AM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
i think danny maybe did believe that, as did many fans including myself. i thought rondo would come out this year on fire - determined to be the next celtics great, compete, get wins etc - be that good rondo we all know but be that way more often
 i think danny waited like the rest of us to see if that would happen. when it didnt and rondo if anything seemed to be regressing - poor fts not shooting, TO's - combined w having an obvious young pg replacement in Smart - it became finally time to move on.

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 08:52:15 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237
I voted "this week" because of the "definitely" qualifier. I think it happened gradually from the beginning of the season to now.

While losing Love was a big factor (God, do I hate how "lucky" Cleveland has been),  Rondo obviously wasn't a match for Stevens offense and Ainge made a decision to commit to the coach (system) rather than to Rondo. I don't like how little we got for him, but I understand it.

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 09:07:36 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I did see a report , way back.....at some point after Smart was taken , that Rondo told somebody,   He wanted out of Boston and wouldn't resign in 2015.  Might have been reported by Jackie.

But...I think his mind to stay could be changed if LoVe was acquired .   

After no Love,  the obvious next step was Rondo to walk.  Unless DA pulled a miracle and got some stars on the club......which Rondo needs to be his most effective.

Could be , as the trade season started , Rondo was pressured to tell Danny about his intentions for staying and money asked if he did.

Danny didn't want him hanging around ,  waiting to walk .....so I guess Danny wanted to move on , take what he could get before deadline.

I don't think Rondo was coming back .   I believe Smarts draft was the que to pack his bags.

I still think DA should have waited out a better offer .  I think the Mavs would have caved for a better deal with picks .

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 09:14:59 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 09:26:47 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
When Rondo started choking in the 4th quarter missing all those free throws.  That's what did it in my opinion.

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 09:33:01 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
I'm hoping it was recently because Ainge found a trade target he really likes, but needed a trade exception in the 12 million range, so he jumped at the chance to grab it before the trade deadline frenzy starts.

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 09:55:19 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
There is no doubt in my mind that Rondo was traded because DA was unable to bring in a star to head this team.

Years from now this may come out in an interview but for now its specualtion.

Events in chronological order,

NBA Lottery 4-20

Love in Boston 6-1

Asik traded to NO 6-26

Draft 6-26

Lebron to Cleveland 7-11

Love to Cleveland 8-23

Looking at that list I think some point between Love coming to boston and the draft it became clear to insiders (GMs, agents) that lebron may be going to Clevland and that Love would be a factor. This instantly raised the trade market out of reach for boston. (GS with Thompson and Cavs with Wiggins). I think at this point DA realized that the Rondo ship had sailed. He watch Asik (who im sure he could have had) go to NO. Then drafted Rondo's replacement in Smart.

If the Cs had landed Love I totally think we would have seen Asik and possibly Afflalo in green. This years roster would have likely been Rondo, Afflalo, Green , Love and Asik in the running for the ECFs
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 09:56:22 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I wouldn't be surprised if what tipped Ainge's hand is when he looked at the stats and saw that, with this team and in a contract year, Rondo's assists were up but his shot attempts were actually a little down.  That screams that Rondo is never going to be more than what he is now, a guy who can be very valuable on a good team but not the kind of player you can build around.

Mike

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 10:19:31 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
It should be obviuos, with all the rumors, that Danny has been trying to trade rondo for years.  At one point rondo had a fairly high reputation among fans.  I think Danny knew it was fools gold and tried to capitalize on the reputation.  Unfortunately, gms never bit.

It is what it is. 

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 10:27:45 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think all the statements about being a MAX player probably did him in.  I do not think he is a MAX guy and I am sure Ainge does not think that as well.

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 10:39:13 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
When Rondo started choking in the 4th quarter missing all those free throws.  That's what did it in my opinion.
this is what I was thinking.  should add this as an option.

really don't think this trade happens if Rondo's hitting his FTs at a reasonable rate and his shooting hadn't regressed. 

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 10:42:12 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Probably a combination of things. However, I do think Stevens' had a great deal of influence over the decision and is safe to say gave Ainge his blessing. If Stevens' was dead set against it and implored to Ainge how important Rondo was to the team going forward, I think Ainge wouldn't have traded him in order to not risk alienating his prized young coach.

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 10:45:43 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
From the 2nd ot loss game vs the Wizards

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 11:03:53 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I think all the statements about being a MAX player probably did him in.  I do not think he is a MAX guy and I am sure Ainge does not think that as well.

It will be interesting to see what Dallas thinks when he is up for signing this coming Summer.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 11:10:26 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I voted when the Love deal fell through...there is also a chance that there were
concerns about fit when they brought in BS and his system, but Love would have
mooted those concerns and they'd have kept Rondo.

I expect Rondo and Dallas to thrive with Rondo but if things went poorly or Rondo has an injury setback he could end up back in Boston (not likely).  I still think he and Smart could be a good starting duo with some shooters and someone like Towns or Gasol for defense.  Totally unlikely though I think he's gone for good (or maybe he'll be back in his mid-thirties).