Poll

How do you think Rondo will do in Dallas/How do you think Dallas will do with Rondo?

Rondo is MVP of the League
1 (2.4%)
Rondo is All Star in West
8 (19%)
Rondo Doesn't make all star but Mavs improve
24 (57.1%)
Rondo/Mavs struggle to adjust, Rondo stats stay same as in Boston
6 (14.3%)
Rondo regresses even more
3 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: Poll: How will Rondo Fare in Dallas  (Read 3174 times)

Re: Poll: How will Rondo Fare in Dallas
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 09:43:39 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think there will be a period of adjustment of a month or less but after that I think Dallas is going to a title contender.  Rondo's ability to pass with those scorers on Dallas will be more than the other western teams can handle. 

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 09:49:58 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I think the third option is the most reasonable (although only a slight improvement), but I chose #4 with me heart instead of my head. I love Rondo, but I would rather the Mavs just miss the playoffs and the Cs get a [late] lottery pick this year. I realize that the pick has more potential for 2016, but with such a heavy protection on it, I would rather just cash in now and eventually sweep this whole mess under the rug.

That's a reasonable thing to _want_ to happen, but to be fair to the OP's Poll, is that really what you think _will_ happen?
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 10:16:39 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think the third option is the most reasonable (although only a slight improvement), but I chose #4 with me heart instead of my head. I love Rondo, but I would rather the Mavs just miss the playoffs and the Cs get a [late] lottery pick this year. I realize that the pick has more potential for 2016, but with such a heavy protection on it, I would rather just cash in now and eventually sweep this whole mess under the rug.

#7 isn't that heavy of a protection.  The likelihood that the Mavs completely tank next year is about the same as the 13th or 14th pick winding up winning the lottery.  They've got a very good team with most of their key players under contract for next year.  An injury could cause a dip, and in the West that could knock you out of the playoffs, but it would take multiple season-canceling injuries for the Mavs to finish so low that their protection kicks in.

Thank you.

What we acquired is, like what Chris Mannix said, a late 2016 first round pick. We actually probably have a better chance of resigning Rondo than that pick being meaningful.

While I do love the idea of resigning Rondo next summer, I'd say there's a 50% chance that pick is 26-30 (Mavs a top 4 team in West) a 40% chance that pick is between 18-25 (Mavs a playoff team that's better than a lot of teams in the East, but not top 4 in West), and 10% chance that it's 13-14 (Mavs take a step back due to age finally catching up with Nowitzski and/or other major injury and being one of the top teams to miss playoffs).  I think it more likely that our pick is useful than Rondo comes back.

That said, my preference would have been to have the same protection on the pick this year and next, with the top 7 protection coming into play in 2017.  Four first round picks next year is bordering on unusable, and I fear the NBA could kill the 2016 draft if they finally follow through on raising the age limit for that draft.

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 10:22:27 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Barring injury Rondo will show how valuable he is in the playoffs.  Rondo was great
whether or not Pierce (now Monta?) are doing a lot of ball handling.  He does
a lot of things with the ball and without.  I also expect his scoring numbers
to go up somewhat.  With so many threats he'll have games where he gets a lot
of easy buckets at the hoop.

Let's not forget Danny's preference was to add to Rondo (with Love), not get
rid of Rondo.  Just didn't work out...

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 11:20:03 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
celtics took most of their bench

D league helps with that, these days somewhat.

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 12:07:33 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I feel he's going to look/feel rejuvenated on a contending team.

:)

Man, I named my username after him in January of '08...  ??? :P

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 12:09:02 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Rondo makes Dallas one of the most feared teams in the league.

They will be a nightmare to play against in the playoffs.

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2014, 12:14:34 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
I think he is going to def. improve the team, it just might take a while for everyone to adjust and completely click.  I think that most depends on how Ellis and Rondo can adjust to playing off each other more.

I think as a team they become a more difficult out in the playoffs when you add another veteran who has been through a lot of playoff wars.  Dallas seems like one of the best, if not the best, fit for Rondo's skills.  The west is going to be a bloodbath though.  So many good teams.

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2014, 01:45:05 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Consensus seems to be a contributor but at less than all star level.  It will be interesting.  People have referred to adjustments that need to be made and that is correct but the team isn't going to adjust to Rondo, Rondo is going to need to adjust to the team.

It is a very low risk play for the Mavericks, but I think there is risk that Rondo will be no better with them than he as been for us this past month (which has been pretty pedestrian).  Dirk is certainly someone he can get the ball to and commands the defense's attention but Rondo is still going to need to be willing to take the ball to the hoop to score and also able to hit shots when he is left open (also make foul shots).

I think these past 2 months on the Celtics hve proven that it is not enough to just make flashy passes and scoop up rebounds.  If he is going to move the needle for Dallas, he is going to need to be a treat to score as well.

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2014, 01:46:15 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I expect Rondo to do well.  Probably play a bit better.  I think the trade to a contender will light a spark under him.

It'll be fascinating to see the dynamic between him & Ellis, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 02:18:21 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Rondo makes Dallas one of the most feared teams in the league.

They will be a nightmare to play against in the playoffs.

Offensively, Dallas is probably the best team in the league, and on paper, just got better on that end.

But unless Rondo morphs back into 2007-11 Rondo on the defensive end, I'm not sold Dallas is a true contender.  They are still a rather weak defensive team, and I could see this being their ultimate undoing.