Poll

How do you think Rondo will do in Dallas/How do you think Dallas will do with Rondo?

Rondo is MVP of the League
1 (2.4%)
Rondo is All Star in West
8 (19%)
Rondo Doesn't make all star but Mavs improve
24 (57.1%)
Rondo/Mavs struggle to adjust, Rondo stats stay same as in Boston
6 (14.3%)
Rondo regresses even more
3 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: Poll: How will Rondo Fare in Dallas  (Read 3153 times)

Poll: How will Rondo Fare in Dallas
« on: December 19, 2014, 08:22:27 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Now I know that there will be a series of "none of the above" or other similar replies but I am trying to focus this on Rondo and the Mavs.  There is a lot of opinion that if Rondo is on a better team, he will be better and also make everyone else better.  There is talk that Rondo is better than Curry.  There is talk that Rondo is role player.  I don't have an agenda here, I am just looking for a way to quantify opinion on this.

Re: Poll: How will Rondo Fare in Dallas
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 08:35:26 AM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
he didnt seem to be responding well to the pressure in boston of being the man. now the whole league is watching and it's championship or bust. tough stage when u cant shoot FT's. i'm predicting this doesn't go well for him.

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 08:36:50 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
If Rondo can get comfortable with his teammates/coach/system fast enough, I think he's going to thrive in Dallas. All they do is pick, cut and pass. For those of us who don't think he's better than Steph Curry though, I can't really see him as an all-star - he's got to compete with Curry, Chris Paul, Harden, etc. for the foreseeable future.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 08:38:48 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
he didnt seem to be responding well to the pressure in boston of being the man. now the whole league is watching and it's championship or bust. tough stage when u cant shoot FT's. i'm predicting this doesn't go well for him.

Yeah but he doesn't have to be the man in Dallas he will be the 5th option on offense. His skill set fits perfectly with the offensive fire charge of Ellis, Parsons, Dirk and Chandler. I would not be surprised to see him average as many as 14 assists per game. Dallas is really the perfect spot for him.

I don't get the whole idea that "the whole league is watching and it's championship or bust." There is no pressure for him in this situation and if it doesnt work out he will leave.

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 08:39:13 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think the third option is the most reasonable (although only a slight improvement), but I chose #4 with me heart instead of my head. I love Rondo, but I would rather the Mavs just miss the playoffs and the Cs get a [late] lottery pick this year. I realize that the pick has more potential for 2016, but with such a heavy protection on it, I would rather just cash in now and eventually sweep this whole mess under the rug.

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 08:43:25 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
It wasn't clear to me if this was a long-term question or a this-year question.  If Rondo stays in Dallas, I see him making an All-Star team in the future.  But this year there isn't enough time.  He obviously can't be voted in, and barring a rash of injuries, I expect reserves will be players who've been in the conference all year.

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 08:44:36 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I voted All-star but this isnt a great option because the all-star game is a popularity contest and the west is loaded with players the media loves.

My preduiction is that Rondo plays at an elite level with dallas. Unlike in Boston he will have a team in championship contention. This coupled with the need to prove himself will bring back the rondo of old. First game he will have a near triple double.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 08:50:29 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think the third option is the most reasonable (although only a slight improvement), but I chose #4 with me heart instead of my head. I love Rondo, but I would rather the Mavs just miss the playoffs and the Cs get a [late] lottery pick this year. I realize that the pick has more potential for 2016, but with such a heavy protection on it, I would rather just cash in now and eventually sweep this whole mess under the rug.

#7 isn't that heavy of a protection.  The likelihood that the Mavs completely tank next year is about the same as the 13th or 14th pick winding up winning the lottery.  They've got a very good team with most of their key players under contract for next year.  An injury could cause a dip, and in the West that could knock you out of the playoffs, but it would take multiple season-canceling injuries for the Mavs to finish so low that their protection kicks in.

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 08:54:35 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
In Boston Rondo could get away with guarding the SG while Bradley guarded the PG. Rondo may have to get back to guarding the PG more again.  Also playing with another ball dominant guard will be different.  Ellis is one of the best pick and roll players in the league, but now will have to play more off the ball.

It should be interesting how this plays out.

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 08:57:03 AM »

Offline snowball

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
Rajon Rondo with the cast of snipers Dallas has makes them
capable of beating anyone, anywhere.

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 09:08:01 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
In Boston Rondo could get away with guarding the SG while Bradley guarded the PG. Rondo may have to get back to guarding the PG more again.  Also playing with another ball dominant guard will be different.  Ellis is one of the best pick and roll players in the league, but now will have to play more off the ball.

If you've been watching Dallas at all this season, you know they're just running pick and rolls out the wazoo, with a high emphasis on ball movement and making the right pass. I think Rondo will do fine.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 09:22:33 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

#7 isn't that heavy of a protection.  The likelihood that the Mavs completely tank next year is about the same as the 13th or 14th pick winding up winning the lottery.  They've got a very good team with most of their key players under contract for next year.  An injury could cause a dip, and in the West that could knock you out of the playoffs, but it would take multiple season-canceling injuries for the Mavs to finish so low that their protection kicks in.

Thank you.

What we acquired is, like what Chris Mannix said, a late 2016 first round pick. We actually probably have a better chance of resigning Rondo than that pick being meaningful.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 09:28:33 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

If you've been watching Dallas at all this season, you know they're just running pick and rolls out the wazoo, with a high emphasis on ball movement and making the right pass. I think Rondo will do fine.
Yeah, I think Carlisle will be an adjustment more than anything, very different style than Doc/Stevens.

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 09:30:56 AM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
I don't think dallas is going to win the title. the celtics took most of their bench. we know without a good bench you can't go very far.
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 09:43:39 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Rondo could make a serious run at the all-time record for assists per game in Dallas.  Whether he makes them all that much better, though, probably depends on the +/- of a pg who is a great rebounder but poor on ball defender.

Mike