Who is the guy you are going to trade

Tyler Zeller
4 (20%)
Kelly Olynyk
4 (20%)
Jared Sullinger
12 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: if Danny Ainge plans to get a starting C  (Read 5607 times)

Re: if Danny Ainge plans to get a starting C
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 11:34:15 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
We should go after Hibbert. Whether we can pry him from Bird is another matter.

I think that we can. The Pacers are 1-9 in their last 10. Despite what Bird might want regarding making the playoffs, they are going nowhere with their star out for the season. He's got a garbage bench and West (getting old) and Hibbert as his only two legitimate starters.

How does Bird say no to Smart (he's a Bird type player), Bradley ( a Bird type player) his choice of KO or Sully and a pick or two? I don't think he can. He restocks right away, trades away West for more assets, gets a great draft pick of his own and suddenly is good to go for the next 5 years.

But wouldn't you be so mad that we just traded our best player in Rondo (for a minimal return - indicating a long rebuild) when he and Hibbert (and Green) would actually make a formidable line-up? How do you trade Rondo and then trade every good young player we have just to add a solid center who is the same age as Rondo?

If there is a direction-less route, this is the one. Getting a young center is the only thing that makes sense at this point. I even question somebody like Monroe who clearly isn't getting any better.

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 11:36:54 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Why can't Bird build around George and Hibbert? He's only 28 and has a player option next year anyways. Hibbert is going to have to decide whether or not to be a FA now or wait till the cap rises next year.

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 11:37:11 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If Ainge's plan for a starting center isn't Brandan Wright, then he just made a colossal mistake. Now I don't believe that he is the answer, but the trade makes no sense othewise.

If perhaps we can trade Wright for a first at the deadline, it may become palatable, but right now I am not sure what Wright and a first can get you...apparently an all-star PG, but probably not any of the guys you listed (which would all be better with Rondo anyway).

I don't see Wright ever being a starting center in this league and I think Ainge knows that. If Wright is put in a starting role his production will go way way down.
exactly.  Wright is a career backup.  I don't see him being resigned this offseason unless we have no shot at a center in the draft.

Having struggled with big man depth in KG's waning years, I think Ainge likes the idea of center by committee unless he gets a star center.  Even if the Celtics end up with the best center in the draft, I think he would like to re-sign Wright to a tradeable contract and have the option of dealing Wright or Zeller when his rookie is firmly established as a quality starter and not before.

Yeah but even though Ainge knows he is a legit backup and would like to sign him to a reasonable/tradeable contract, there is going to be some other GM out there that way over pays him to give him a starting or bigger role. I feel like we will flip Wright to a contender by the deadline.

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 11:45:16 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
If Wright is the Center of the future (which I disagree with) trading for him didn't accomplish anything. His contract is up after this year. We would still have to beat the market when he hits free agency.

The only value we got out of trading for Wright is if we flip him, and then we'll be in the Rondo situation all over again where every team knows we have to trade him or lose all of his value, only with a worse player.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 12:02:11 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
If Wright is the Center of the future (which I disagree with) trading for him didn't accomplish anything. His contract is up after this year. We would still have to beat the market when he hits free agency.

The only value we got out of trading for Wright is if we flip him, and then we'll be in the Rondo situation all over again where every team knows we have to trade him or lose all of his value, only with a worse player.

Which is why the trade doesn't make sense.

They keep saying that trading now means we can flip everyone we acquired via the deadline. Well, that is if we can flip them.

As for Center, if Wright, a career bench player is Danny's solution to our Center problem, then he needs to walk away. Chances are he isn't. I want Robin Lopez as our Center moving forward. Cheap and reliable.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 12:04:27 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
The best way to get a starting center is to be bad this year and then draft one. I think Okafor, Towns and Willie Cauley-Stein could all be immediate NBA starters.

If I had to trade one of the guys you listed it would be Sullinger, because I believe he has the most value.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 12:08:24 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93

They keep saying that trading now means we can flip everyone we acquired via the deadline. Well, that is if we can flip them.

As for Center, if Wright, a career bench player is Danny's solution to our Center problem, then he needs to walk away. Chances are he isn't. I want Robin Lopez as our Center moving forward. Cheap and reliable.
Totally agree.

If we had just got Donatas Motiejunas and a protected pick from Houston, I wouldn't have been thrilled, but it would've been something. It's likely that that guy has no future as more than a role player, but at least he has potential and at least we would definitely control him when he becomes whatever he becomes.

Our best option now is to draft one of the center prospects and hope he works out. Maybe we'll win the lottery and get Towns or Okafor. Who knows. Not how I would plan this teams future, but at least its a possibility.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2014, 12:09:54 PM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
The best way to get a starting center is to be bad this year and then draft one. I think Okafor, Towns and Willie Cauley-Stein could all be immediate NBA starters.

If I had to trade one of the guys you listed it would be Sullinger, because I believe he has the most value.

zeller is worth even 2nd pick?

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2014, 12:33:06 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Totally agree.

If we had just got Donatas Motiejunas and a protected pick from Houston, I wouldn't have been thrilled, but it would've been something. It's likely that that guy has no future as more than a role player, but at least he has potential and at least we would definitely control him when he becomes whatever he becomes.

Our best option now is to draft one of the center prospects and hope he works out. Maybe we'll win the lottery and get Towns or Okafor. Who knows. Not how I would plan this teams future, but at least its a possibility.

If we get lucky. We tried that last year and we werent even close.

I say throw money at Robin Lopez. It'll be worth it. 4 years/$40 million.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2014, 12:52:24 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I say throw money at Robin Lopez. It'll be worth it. 4 years/$40 million.

You're probably going to have to be closer to 4 years/$60 million to have a shot at Lopez.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference