Author Topic: How will Rondo impact Mavs "Pace and Space" Offense  (Read 8117 times)

Re: How will Rondo impact Mavs "Pace and Space" Offense
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2014, 06:16:59 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
I think a model they are looking for is the 2011-12 ECF Celtics. Parsons, and Dirk stretching the floor (a la Pierce and KG), Ellis cutting to the basket, (like Bradley used to) and  Chandler handling business in the low post. Not a perfect match but you get the idea. The issue isn't so much scoring points in bulk in the regular season, which is a good thing, but being able to get points on the hard core playoff defences, in those key games. Rondo is the kind of point guard that can make it happen.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2014, 06:48:18 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
This is what Monta thinks about Rondo impact:

Jared Weiss @CLNS_JaredWeiss  ·  16h
Monta Ellis on Rajon Rondo trade: "I think our fast break points are going to go up tremendously.” #Mavs

Jared Weiss @CLNS_JaredWeiss  ·  16h
Monta Ellis on Rajon Rondo trade: "He takes the pressure off of me a little bit. I can be more of a sit out guy, a spot up shooter.” #Mavs
How'd Monta co-exist with Steph Curry (one of the best shooters in the league)?  Heh... this has the potential to negatively impact the Mavs.  I'm not guaranteeing it or anything, because I think Rondo is a very talented player if a system adapts to him.  But this has the potential to be a failure for the Mavs.

"Not guaranteeing it," just rooting for it.

Personally, I'm still rooting for Rondo.  I hope he does well in Dallas and helps turn that team into a legitimate contender.  They were already darn close without him.  I think he could be the final piece for that team. 

It'll will definitely be an interesting experiment.  I applaud the Mavs for making a very gutsy move. 

Go Rondo!!  Go Mavs!!

(and, this goes without saying . . . )

Go Celtics!!!

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2015, 02:19:15 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Fun looking back on this thread and seeing some of the reactions to the Rondo trade.  Here were my comments:

Before commenting, I ask you to watch this great video Zach Lowe put together:  http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12049965

Realize that Dallas has the best offense in the league.  They put up a league leading 110 points per night on a league leading 48% shooting.

Question:  How does Rondo impact this? 

Rondo is an ball-dominating guard who is effectively a liability when the ball isn't in his hands.  Yes, Rondo is a lethal creator when he's controlling the rock... which is why Boston had built a system around him.  Stick bigs around Rondo who can hit mid range shots.  Surround him with great shooters... dude will get his assists.    But try to run the ball through anyone else on the court and that player is basically going 4 on 5 since Rondo is such a non-threat offensively.   

We've been watching the Celtics closely for years.  You might remember a couple years ago that when Rondo went down with an injury, the team was below .500.  Rondo had been off to arguably his best statistical season.  He had an epic assist streak at one point.   Rondo goes down... suddenly the offense completely transforms.  Suddenly, the team is sharing the ball, the spacing improves, Pierce steps up... we rally and make the playoffs.   Last season, the team was better with Jordan Crawford running point than Rajon Rondo.  I'm not being cheeky.  It's true.  We were 13-26 with Crawford... 6-24 with Rondo.    Simply replacing Rondo with a mildly competent shooter seemed to help the team.   Rondo controls the ball out of necessity... without it, he's N/A. 

Now ask yourself, what kind of impact do you actually think Rondo will make on a Mavs offense that is the epitome of ball-movement and open shooting?  How does Monta Ellis' (another ball-dominant player) role change now that Rondo is out there and presumably needs the ball to be relevant?  Make some predictions... I'm extremely curious.  We're about to find out once and for all what kind of impact Rondo actually makes on a team's offense.

Kinda funny.  Pre-trade Zach Lowe had posted a video about how efficient the Maverick's "Pace and Space" offense was.  That inspired me to create this post wondering how an offensive liability like ROndo would impact the offense.  Hours after I created this post, Lowe published this excellent article echoing all the same concerns:  http://grantland.com/the-triangle/rajon-rondo-trade-dallas-mavericks/ 

You'll eat your words. Rondo makes them lethal. What a stacked team.

This completely.
Perhaps.  Or not.
Or not ftw. 

Looks like the concerns were spot-on.  Some had the Mavs pegged as title contenders.   Zach Lowe seemed to be the only one in the media with a reasonable opinion.  I'll be paying more attention to Lowe from now on.  Dude knows his stuff. 

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2015, 02:33:44 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I believe Rondo was afraid to play Harden one on one ,  he was going to be exposed , after losing a step or two .     He just cann't defend the best anymore ......either he can't physically or he does not trust his body and , can't get past the thinking about injury part anymore.

His "no mass". ....white flag ......I give up .......maybe how he really feels ......that he should not be out on the court anymore.

He seemed ok relaxing ,  kinda not pushing himself with the Celtics ......Celtic fans all saw his passive  play....but most of us gave him a pass for old times sake......but the Mavs were expecting balls to wall old school Rondo.

His legs and mind may not be able to do that level anymore.  His frustration boiled over,   He wanted to play a game to protect his body .

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2015, 09:53:24 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
In the  defensive of Rondo if the have been a multi time all star leading the league in assists(granted a couple of years back pre injury) are you down on seeing your roll shifted to that of being asked to be a defensive roll player, especially when you see how poorly some of your team mates defend.That is a giant step back for him.Contract year or not.
Two way street, should of giving me a little more freedom to free lance.
I hear is new nickname in Dallas is Lee Majors