Author Topic: How will Rondo impact Mavs "Pace and Space" Offense  (Read 8084 times)

Re: How will Rondo impact Mavs "Pace and Space" Offense
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 10:11:55 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Zach Lowe wrote this today -

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/rajon-rondo-trade-dallas-mavericks/

Y U NO READ MY POST?

Anyway.

It’s the end of an era in Boston. The starting lineup from the 2008 title team still hasn’t lost a playoff series. It never will. Those players are all gone now, and their quirky point guard is off to chase a ring elsewhere.
:'(

Sorry dude, my fault!

S'all good. We're all here in this tank together.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 10:28:12 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
You'll eat your words. Rondo makes them lethal. What a stacked team.

This completely.
Rondo is going to expertly run the pick and roll with shooters all around him and great rim rolling big in Tyson Chandler.

There will be games in the playoffs where he leads the Mavs to a win that they would not have otherwise gotten.
preach on brothers, preach on

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 10:31:28 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Team of shooters and Rondo = Success.   

He is a force multiplier and will make their shooters even better.  Not having good shooters killed him this year here but Dallas is another story entirely.

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 10:52:12 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Y U NO READ MY POST?

Anyway.

It’s the end of an era in Boston. The starting lineup from the 2008 title team still hasn’t lost a playoff series. It never will. Those players are all gone now, and their quirky point guard is off to chase a ring elsewhere.
:'(

Ugh. So sad.

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 11:08:45 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Well, Monta/Chandler/Dirk were probably already running the best pick and roll/pops in the league, and Rondo > Monta at pick and roll/pops, so.... yeah.

Now Monta can forget about getting those guys involved and just focus on scoring every time he gets a screen.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 03:03:46 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
You'll eat your words. Rondo makes them lethal. What a stacked team.

This completely.
Perhaps.  Or not. 

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 03:05:45 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Lowe is echoing everything I have been saying since I heard about the trade.  While everyone is crowning the Mavs champions, you have to acknowledge the fact that the league's best offense might have just handicapped itself with a ball-dominating offensive liability. 

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2014, 03:14:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
This is what Monta thinks about Rondo impact:

Jared Weiss @CLNS_JaredWeiss  ·  16h
Monta Ellis on Rajon Rondo trade: "I think our fast break points are going to go up tremendously.” #Mavs

Monta Ellis on Rajon Rondo trade: "He takes the pressure off of me a little bit. I can be more of a sit out guy, a spot up shooter.” #Mavs
How'd Monta co-exist with Steph Curry (one of the best shooters in the league)?  Heh... this has the potential to negatively impact the Mavs.  I'm not guaranteeing it or anything, because I think Rondo is a very talented player if a system adapts to him.  But this has the potential to be a failure for the Mavs.

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2014, 03:18:12 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
This is what Monta thinks about Rondo impact:

Monta Ellis on Rajon Rondo trade: "I think our fast break points are going to go up tremendously.” #Mavs

Monta Ellis on Rajon Rondo trade: "He takes the pressure off of me a little bit. I can be more of a sit out guy, a spot up shooter.” #Mavs
How'd Monta co-exist with Steph Curry (one of the best shooters in the league)?  Heh... this has the potential to negatively impact the Mavs.  I'm not guaranteeing it or anything, because I think Rondo is a very talented player if a system adapts to him.  But this has the potential to be a failure for the Mavs.

Not sure that's fair. Curry was frequently injured and a much lesser player in those days.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2014, 03:21:13 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Lowe is echoing everything I have been saying since I heard about the trade.  While everyone is crowning the Mavs champions, you have to acknowledge the fact that the league's best offense might have just handicapped itself with a ball-dominating offensive liability.

What he doesn't mention is how the Mavs will improve with Rondo. They will improve on the defensive end.

While Rondo isn't a very good defender anymore he is elite at two things at the PG spot, passing and rebounding. Rondo is rebounding a higher percentage of defensive misses than every player on the Mavs besides Chandler. The Mavs are 29th in the NBA in defensive rebounding. You can expect their defense to improve when they are giving up significantly less offensive rebounds. Rondo also forces a lot more turnovers than any of the guards he is replacing.

So I guarantee Rondo helps the 22nd defense in the league by moving Dallas from the bottom of the NBA to the middle in defensive rebounding.

Rondo is a high variance player who will win games with outstanding play in the playoffs. In such a tight Western conference the difference of one or two big games he can provide could equate to a finals appearance instead of a first round defeat. They are currently 0-6 against the teams ahead of them in the West, Rondo shows up on the biggest stage, it could be exactly what they needed.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 03:28:24 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

What he doesn't mention is how the Mavs will improve with Rondo. They will improve on the defensive end.

While Rondo isn't a very good defender anymore he is elite at two things at the PG spot, passing and rebounding. Rondo is rebounding a higher percentage of defensive misses than every player on the Mavs besides Chandler. The Mavs are 29th in the NBA in defensive rebounding. You can expect their defense to improve when they are giving up significantly less offensive rebounds. Rondo also forces a lot more turnovers than any of the guards he is replacing.

So I guarantee Rondo helps the 22nd defense in the league by moving Dallas from the bottom of the NBA to the middle in defensive rebounding.

Rondo is a high variance player who will win games with outstanding play in the playoffs. In such a tight Western conference the difference of one or two big games he can provide could equate to a finals appearance instead of a first round defeat. They are currently 0-6 against the teams ahead of them in the West, Rondo shows up on the biggest stage, it could be exactly what they needed.
Actually Lowe covers that.  He dedicates a section to Rondo's overrated defense.

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2014, 03:32:42 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Actually Lowe covers that.  He dedicates a section to Rondo's overrated defense.
Did you stop reading after that point? Literally in the next line I explained that his contribution to Dallas' defense will be in the defensive rebounds he gets.

You can't just pick part of what I said quote it and then disagree with it, without reading the part where I explain it.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2014, 03:42:31 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466

Exactly who out there is crowning the mavs as champions?  Most commentary I have heard about it just says that they got better, and that yeah the west is going to be a battle.  I haven't heard anyone say that the mavs are the favs even to make it to the conf finals.

Who knows how it will turn out, but to think that Rondo isn't a step up from their previous point guards, come on.  I seriously wonder how long the post trade rondo bashing will last?  I mean in 3 years are we still going to be hearing how Rondo ruined the celtics pace and how he ruined dallas' spacing.

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2014, 02:04:39 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Actually Rondo's doing pretty well on defense. ESPN took a look on Rondo's defense this year and he was in the top ten on the defensive end.

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2014, 03:44:36 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Dallas has been racking up the offensive stats against lesser teams.  Against the top western conference teams, Dallas is 0-5 and their vaunted offense looks much more pedestrian (96.4 ppg in those games versus 110.1 overall).  In the playoffs against strong teams, Rondo's ability to get a few more easy baskets for the Dallas shooters and make a few plays overall that Nelson cannot may be the difference between winning and losing a series.  Dallas is still an underdog to make it to the finals but the addition of Rondo gives them a fighting chance.