Author Topic: How will Rondo impact Mavs "Pace and Space" Offense  (Read 8107 times)

How will Rondo impact Mavs "Pace and Space" Offense
« on: December 19, 2014, 04:19:14 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Before commenting, I ask you to watch this great video Zach Lowe put together:  http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12049965

Realize that Dallas has the best offense in the league.  They put up a league leading 110 points per night on a league leading 48% shooting.

Question:  How does Rondo impact this? 

Rondo is an ball-dominating guard who is effectively a liability when the ball isn't in his hands.  Yes, Rondo is a lethal creator when he's controlling the rock... which is why Boston had built a system around him.  Stick bigs around Rondo who can hit mid range shots.  Surround him with great shooters... dude will get his assists.    But try to run the ball through anyone else on the court and that player is basically going 4 on 5 since Rondo is such a non-threat offensively.   

We've been watching the Celtics closely for years.  You might remember a couple years ago that when Rondo went down with an injury, the team was below .500.  Rondo had been off to arguably his best statistical season.  He had an epic assist streak at one point.   Rondo goes down... suddenly the offense completely transforms.  Suddenly, the team is sharing the ball, the spacing improves, Pierce steps up... we rally and make the playoffs.   Last season, the team was better with Jordan Crawford running point than Rajon Rondo.  I'm not being cheeky.  It's true.  We were 13-26 with Crawford... 6-24 with Rondo.    Simply replacing Rondo with a mildly competent shooter seemed to help the team.   Rondo controls the ball out of necessity... without it, he's N/A. 

Now ask yourself, what kind of impact do you actually think Rondo will make on a Mavs offense that is the epitome of ball-movement and open shooting?  How does Monta Ellis' (another ball-dominant player) role change now that Rondo is out there and presumably needs the ball to be relevant?  Make some predictions... I'm extremely curious.  We're about to find out once and for all what kind of impact Rondo actually makes on a team's offense. 

Re: How will Rondo impact Mavs "Pace and Space" Offense
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 04:40:12 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Rondo has shown the ability to effectively operate off the ball within a fast paced system dependent on quick ball movement. For three quarters, I don't think the Mavs will suffer.

The real trouble for Rondo in Dallas could be similar to the struggles he experienced in Boston: fourth quarter woes. When the fourth comes and the game slows down, Rondo has not proven he can effectively operate off the ball in an iso-heavy/two-man game offense (neither of the two men being him). Assuming the Mavs want to continue Ellis' success with Dirk in the P&R, this is exactly what Rondo will have to do.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 04:42:24 AM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
rondo-dirk pick n' roll will work

tyson will be the kg of the dallas team
i think the assist will drop a little bit
rebounding will be reduce...
maybe if everyone attacks the paint more, than hitting 3's rondo will dish more assist
used villunueva to spread the floor

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 05:04:17 AM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
He'll be fine. That offense has Dirk as a closer, along with Monta Ellis to run pick and roll at the end of games.

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 06:08:15 AM »

Offline Greenpoison

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
You'll eat your words. Rondo makes them lethal. What a stacked team.

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 07:59:08 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
they will be a contender. Best reason this makes them better was said on the radio by Chris mannix today.

Rondo is a different player in the post-season..he could win a series or two for them.

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 09:34:20 AM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
The Mavs already answered these questions by trading for Rondo. It's not like Jameer Nelson or Barea added ANYTHING to this Mavs offense except on 2k15.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 09:41:48 AM by Al91 »
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 09:46:31 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
It doesn't change anything. As per usual, you're ignoring some really important bits of info (sorry, but I need to get the contentiousness on CB back in a post-Rondo void  :) ) when you examine what's happening.

The problem isn't going to be with Ellis, who's been underrated for years, (years I say!) and if you take a look at the actual minutes situation in the Dallas backcourt, you can see why. Pop quiz: who was the leading MPG point guard on the Mavericks prior to the trade?

Jameer Nelson. He was splitting time with Devin Harris (and both of them were getting more minutes than Brandon Wright, incidentally). Upgrading your team with 25 minutes of Rajon Rondo instead of 25 minutes of Jameer Nelson, even if Jameer was hitting 37% from deep, is an inarguable plus.

The biggest issue here is how the trade affects Dallas's wing and big rotations.

Also, if you're not of the ADD persuasion (and/or have ESPN videos blocked to protect your general IQ on principle), here's Lowe's longform argument:
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/rajon-rondo-trade-dallas-mavericks/
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 09:55:44 AM by D.o.s. »
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 09:49:58 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

This completely.

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 10:01:44 AM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I do think the Rondo/Ellis tandem will have some growing pains.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 10:03:38 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 10:04:17 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

This completely.
Rondo is going to expertly run the pick and roll with shooters all around him and great rim rolling big in Tyson Chandler.

There will be games in the playoffs where he leads the Mavs to a win that they would not have otherwise gotten.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 10:05:18 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Zach Lowe wrote this today -

Y U NO READ MY POST?

Anyway.

It’s the end of an era in Boston. The starting lineup from the 2008 title team still hasn’t lost a playoff series. It never will. Those players are all gone now, and their quirky point guard is off to chase a ring elsewhere.
:'(
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 10:08:19 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Zach Lowe wrote this today -

Y U NO READ MY POST?

Anyway.

It’s the end of an era in Boston. The starting lineup from the 2008 title team still hasn’t lost a playoff series. It never will. Those players are all gone now, and their quirky point guard is off to chase a ring elsewhere.
:'(

Sorry dude, my fault! 

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 10:10:53 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
This is what Monta thinks about Rondo impact:

Jared Weiss @CLNS_JaredWeiss  ·  16h
Monta Ellis on Rajon Rondo trade: "I think our fast break points are going to go up tremendously.” #Mavs

Jared Weiss @CLNS_JaredWeiss  ·  16h
Monta Ellis on Rajon Rondo trade: "He takes the pressure off of me a little bit. I can be more of a sit out guy, a spot up shooter.” #Mavs