Author Topic: Ainge: In a nutshell  (Read 11588 times)

Re: Ainge: In a nutshell
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 03:56:49 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I'm ready for the backlash. I could go on for days...

I have repeatedly said we were gifted with a championship when McHale sent KG our way.
Now... please take a step back and consider Ainge's ties to Carlisle. I'll admit Rondo has been far from superb... but at the same time, I think he'll flourish in Dallas. So given Ainge's ties to Carlisle, can any one honestly protest that this isn't another friendship move? Another move that corroborates the fact that McHale won us a championship? For any one that can't see Ainge's angles, I feel bad for you... he's a complete scrub - only time will tell when his whiny butt gets canned. Till then, let's keep moving up in drafts for KO, and steal guys like Fab Melo.

If you want to make the Rondo/Perk argument, it's going to fall on deaf ears. 3 HOFers make life a lot easier for a superb craftsman/distributor and a wholeheartedly dedicated rim protector.

Unsubstantiated viewpoint to support an agenda-driven view. What is with all this hate on Ainge? Try being a fan of most other NBA teams and you can experience what a truly inadequate front office is like. This simply the most Ainge could get for an impending FA. Consider the $12.9m TPE to be of equal value to a first rounder. So Ainge essentially got two 1sts, a tradeable asset in Wright, a decent young player in Crowder and a cheap replacement in Nelson for Rondo,

For some reason fans obsess over a GM's decision-making skills during times of a blockbuster trade or free agent signing but don't realize that these are two of the easiest parts of the job. Salary maintenance, draft success, asset accumulation, and other non-glorified aspects of Ainge's job are truly what puts a team in position to make headline-worthy news. Ainge excels at all of these things and thus the Celtics are consistently in a position to make a move that is so dang good people think Ainge and league-wide friends have to be conspiring.

I don't want to entertain all that you wrote. This is far from a blockbuster trade... I posted that this would happen as soon as the rumor surfaced... and Ainge has dangled Rondo every season (hence why everyone left).

TPE? Makes zero sense. If we don't find a superstar-caliber player, that we can trade for with our current 20 role players.. that's a moot point. Idk how you came up with 2 firsts... looks like a late first and second... so I won't entertain it unless you can clarify.

Please enlighten me as to how Ainge is going to turn 20 role players (not one starter, besides Green) into a superstar-caliber player that we can build around. I'll wait patiently.

For a roughly $10m trade exception and a second rounder we landed a tradeable asset in Marcus Thornton, young big man Tyler Zeller and a future 1st. We landed a $12.9m TPE in the Rondo deal. Thus, consider it to have the average value of a 1st rounder, for deal evaluation purposes.

Add that to the 1st we directly received from Dallas. Hence, we essentially netted two 1sts, Wright, Crowder and Nelson.

If your "20 role players" comment is referring to all of our current draft picks and young talent, that is laughable. I believe we have at least four intriguing young players. We will have another lottery pick this year and own all of our 1sts except for 2017's, which we will likely swap with Brooklyn for their lottery first. We also own BKN's 2016 and 2018 1sts, both of which have high lotto potential. Lastly, we own picks such as LAC's, CLE's and DAL's, all of which can be paired with our "role players" for better players.

The fact that you have already determined our future to be devoid of stars, indirectly referencing top-flight draft selections we own, because we dealt a player that was selected #21 in the draft is just dripping with irony.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 03:58:21 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
No. We we better getting something instead of nothing.  He wasn't staying. As far as I can see the second best offer was the lakers offering a protected 1st for both green and rondo combined.

Rondo is overrated, potentially a negative influence, had minimal trade value, plays the most loaded position in the league, and was possibly a 1 year rental for any team bringing him on.  We got what he is worth.

We got something for Rondo? ::)
Yeah. A late 1st rounder and trade flexibility.
Do you know/understand the game better than Simmons and Jalen Rose? Rose called it nothing short of a robbery... please speak to that. I can not wait to hear your logic.

Edit: Gotta know... have you ever played basketball?

If you think Jalen Rose is some sort of basketball savant, you probably shouldn't be challenging others' knowledge of the game.

Mike

What? Did you play D1? If not, best to sit this one out.
Few understand the game better than Jalen... presumably because HE CHANGED IT.
Thanks for your contribution. Forums are intended for learning purposes, as well.

You know who didn't play Division I basketball? Tom Thibodeau.

You know who played Division I basketball, NBA basketball, MLB baseball and was one of the greatest high school/college athletes of his time? Danny Ainge, the guy you're criticizing.

Seems your pitifully weak argument contains some inconsistencies.

BYU, in an era of unathletic athletes, does not qualify as D1 status. I work with someone that played multiple sports at BYU (recently)... couldn't be more unathletic. The trick is to avoid coffee. Keep it coming...

I suppose the NBA and MLB of the 1980s and '90s was unathletic too? The same '90s NBA that Jalen Rose played in?

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 03:59:31 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

I have repeatedly said we were gifted with a championship when McHale sent KG our way.
Now... please take a step back and consider Ainge's ties to Carlisle. I'll admit Rondo has been far from superb... but at the same time, I think he'll flourish in Dallas. So given Ainge's ties to Carlisle, can any one honestly protest that this isn't another friendship move? Another move that corroborates the fact that McHale won us a championship? For any one that can't see Ainge's angles, I feel bad for you... he's a complete scrub - only time will tell when his whiny butt gets canned. Till then, let's keep moving up in drafts for KO, and steal guys like Fab Melo.

If you want to make the Rondo/Perk argument, it's going to fall on deaf ears. 3 HOFers make life a lot easier for a superb craftsman/distributor and a wholeheartedly dedicated rim protector.

Unsubstantiated viewpoint to support an agenda-driven view. What is with all this hate on Ainge? Try being a fan of most other NBA teams and you can experience what a truly inadequate front office is like. This simply the most Ainge could get for an impending FA. Consider the $12.9m TPE to be of equal value to a first rounder. So Ainge essentially got two 1sts, a tradeable asset in Wright, a decent young player in Crowder and a cheap replacement in Nelson for Rondo,

For some reason fans obsess over a GM's decision-making skills during times of a blockbuster trade or free agent signing but don't realize that these are two of the easiest parts of the job. Salary maintenance, draft success, asset accumulation, and other non-glorified aspects of Ainge's job are truly what puts a team in position to make headline-worthy news. Ainge excels at all of these things and thus the Celtics are consistently in a position to make a move that is so dang good people think Ainge and league-wide friends have to be conspiring.

I don't want to entertain all that you wrote. This is far from a blockbuster trade... I posted that this would happen as soon as the rumor surfaced... and Ainge has dangled Rondo every season (hence why everyone left).

TPE? Makes zero sense. If we don't find a superstar-caliber player, that we can trade for with our current 20 role players.. that's a moot point. Idk how you came up with 2 firsts... looks like a late first and second... so I won't entertain it unless you can clarify.

Please enlighten me as to how Ainge is going to turn 20 role players (not one starter, besides Green) into a superstar-caliber player that we can build around. I'll wait patiently.

For a roughly $10m trade exception and a second rounder we landed a tradeable asset in Marcus Thornton, young big man Tyler Zeller and a future 1st. We landed a $12.9m TPE in the Rondo deal. Thus, consider it to have the average value of a 1st rounder, for deal evaluation purposes.

Add that to the 1st we directly received from Dallas. Hence, we essentially netted two 1sts, Wright, Crowder and Nelson.

If your "20 role players" comment is referring to all of our current draft picks and young talent, that is laughable. I believe we have at least four intriguing young players. We will have another lottery pick this year and own all of our 1sts except for 2017's, which we will likely swap with Brooklyn for their lottery first. We also own BKN's 2016 and 2018 1sts, both of which have high lotto potential. Lastly, we own picks such as LAC's, CLE's and DAL's, all of which can be paired with our "role players" for better players.

The fact that you have already determined our future to be devoid of stars, indirectly referencing top-flight draft selections we own, because we dealt a player that was selected #21 in the draft is just dripping with irony.

Agreed. Great post. It will be above his head, but great post.

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 04:04:17 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Agreed. Tough to wrap my head around things with a Ph.D. in the most competitive field you can attain one in.

We landed nothing in the Rondo deal. Thornton is a scrub. And our young assets are all scrubs, with the exception of Sully, if he can get his weight in check. I can not imagine what lenses you're both looking through.

Dude, you're honestly talking about picks in 2018? If you aren't 65 and retired, I have no idea why you would even be thinking that far ahead.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 04:06:24 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
No. We we better getting something instead of nothing.  He wasn't staying. As far as I can see the second best offer was the lakers offering a protected 1st for both green and rondo combined.

Rondo is overrated, potentially a negative influence, had minimal trade value, plays the most loaded position in the league, and was possibly a 1 year rental for any team bringing him on.  We got what he is worth.

Do you know/understand the game better than Simmons and Jalen Rose? Rose called it nothing short of a robbery... please speak to that. I can not wait to hear your logic.

If you think Jalen Rose is some sort of basketball savant, you probably shouldn't be challenging others' knowledge of the game.

Mike

Thanks for your contribution. Forums are intended for learning purposes, as well.

You know who played Division I basketball, NBA basketball, MLB baseball and was one of the greatest high school/college athletes of his time? Danny Ainge, the guy you're criticizing.

BYU, in an era of unathletic athletes, does not qualify as D1 status. I work with someone that played multiple sports at BYU (recently)... couldn't be more unathletic. The trick is to avoid coffee. Keep it coming...

I suppose the NBA and MLB of the 1980s and '90s was unathletic too? The same '90s NBA that Jalen Rose played in?

Please apologize. You just likened BYU D1 sports to NBA and MLB of the 80s and 90s. Again, I'll wait patiently. I almost feel embarrassed...
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 04:15:30 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff

Thanks man.

Agreed. Tough to wrap my head around things with a Ph.D. in the most competitive field you can attain one in.

We landed nothing in the Rondo deal. Thornton is a scrub. And our young assets are all scrubs, with the exception of Sully, if he can get his weight in check. I can not imagine what lenses you're both looking through.

Dude, you're honestly talking about picks in 2018? If you aren't 65 and retired, I have no idea why you would even be thinking that far ahead.

Your characterization of Smart as a scrub exhibits your bias. Don't really have anything else to say to that.

Thornton has little to do with the Rondo deal. He was only brought up for comparison. For the last time, we owned a $10m TPE. We absorbed Marcus Thornton's expiring contract in order to get Tyler Zeller and a 1st. Thus consider a TPE of more than $10m to be roughly equivalent to a 1st rounder. Therefore it is easier to understand what Ainge got for Rondo, a free agent who was able to dictate which teams could bid for him and which teams couldn't (i.e. those he wouldn't re-sign with): two 1sts (future 1st, $12.9m TPE), Wright, Crowder, Nelson.

Finally, 2018 was only mentioned in reference to one of the picks we own.

Mike

Please apologize. You just likened BYU D1 sports to NBA and MLB of the 80s and 90s. Again, I'll wait patiently. I almost feel embarrassed...

The same guy you're describing as having played at BYU is the same one I'm describing as having played in the NBA and MLB. Danny Ainge was a pro athlete, not just some guy who rowed crew at BYU.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 10:33:06 AM by fordescort »

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 05:49:43 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Guys, Isiah Thomas played D-I basketball and played in the pros!  They should totally hire him to run the C's!  That dude must be a basketball genius!

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2014, 06:20:31 AM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26

You're a 26 year old therapist that may or may not have graduated from UNC. What are you talking about? Grow up.

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2014, 06:31:34 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
it's fine to say "Ainge sucks! Fire him". but at least name some replacements.

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2014, 06:51:33 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
It's your opinion and it's a viable *almost* conspiracy kind of theory- but I think removing the emotion from this reveals pretty simple logic:

1)We couldn't get much for Rondo.(obviously)
2)Ainge knew more about Rondo's intentions next season on a salary level and on a free agency level.
3)keeping Rondo and hoping that we'd sign him to a fair value deal AND signing a top 10 NBA player and another top 20 player before he turns 30 would take about just as much as luck as us finishing bottom 3 and hoping to bink Okafur.

We have Marcus Smart and they play the same position which makes it an easier move and Marcus Smart has the attitude and leadership qualities, skills and moxy to become a top 10
I mean if we get a top 3 pick this season we will have an absolute stud to pair with Smart straight away.
We have so many picks that we could arguably move up to the 10-14 range with the Clippers pick and get another draft binky this year. They key here is Stevens ability to coach these guys into studs.

I also think be did this quickly, fully knowing that we have a nice easy stretch right now and every loss is crucial toward that top 3 pick.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 06:54:37 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
it's fine to say "Ainge sucks! Fire him". but at least name some replacements.

I would throw a ton of money at Hinkle or Presti. Two of the best in the NBA

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2014, 06:57:45 AM »

Offline soulman

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 21
if we at least got Felton, but no we got Nelson................

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2014, 07:06:35 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
It's your opinion and it's a viable *almost* conspiracy kind of theory- but I think removing the emotion from this reveals pretty simple logic:

2)Ainge knew more about Rondo's intentions next season on a salary level and on a free agency level.
3)keeping Rondo and hoping that we'd sign him to a fair value deal AND signing a top 10 NBA player and another top 20 player before he turns 30 would take about just as much as luck as us finishing bottom 3 and hoping to bink Okafur.

We have Marcus Smart and they play the same position which makes it an easier move and Marcus Smart has the attitude and leadership qualities, skills and moxy to become a top 10
I mean if we get a top 3 pick this season we will have an absolute stud to pair with Smart straight away.
We have so many picks that we could arguably move up to the 10-14 range with the Clippers pick and get another draft binky this year. They key here is Stevens ability to coach these guys into studs.

I also think be did this quickly, fully knowing that we have a nice easy stretch right now and every loss is crucial toward that top 3 pick.

Even without having Rondo now it's going to be very tough to land a top 3 pick.   We currently have a better winning percentage than 9 teams in the league, and most of those teams are in the east.  The 3 teams directly ahead of us Bucks, Heat, and Nets have their issues.   We just may stay afloat with Marcus Smart at the helm. 

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2014, 07:45:26 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Which teams did Rondo ok extensions for? A mega total for 2 teams.

Rockets  imo had nothing and were just trying to drive up the price for the mavs or are still angry about dallas taking away parsons.

When you understand that unless rondo ok's the extension before a team will even gives up a 1st the more you will realize that this was the best danny could get.

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2014, 07:58:46 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Even without having Rondo now it's going to be very tough to land a top 3 pick.   We currently have a better winning percentage than 9 teams in the league, and most of those teams are in the east.  The 3 teams directly ahead of us Bucks, Heat, and Nets have their issues.   We just may stay afloat with Marcus Smart at the helm.

If the aim was to win, we would have kept Rondo and done the same deal at the deadline or in the offseason for his bird rights.

We are blowing this thing up.
Green and Bass are gone next.
We are 4 games ahead of the Knicks and Pistons for the 2nd worst record in the East.
How does our current team minus our two best players and best defensive big off the bench ?

Would our record be as good as the Knicks?
The Knicks are better than us if we don't have Rondo, Green and Bass.

Think about why he traded him now.
We are tanking.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.