Author Topic: Ainge's possible thoughts on Rondo  (Read 729 times)

Ainge's possible thoughts on Rondo
« on: December 19, 2014, 02:28:47 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Saw this in an article:

There will be much discussion (and consternation) in the aftermath of Rondo's departure. Debates will rage about whether Boston made the right move and if Ainge got enough in return. Ultimately, Ainge might have summed up the team's situation best when discussing trade whispers on Boston sports radio WBZ-FM on Thursday morning.

?I think Celtics fans want to see good team basketball and winning basketball,? Ainge SAID. ?I think we need to start moving in that direction. We need to win; play the game the right way and win. I don?t know if stars are required. Winning is what?s important. It?s assumed in the NBA that stars are needed and that?s true, but there have been successful teams without a star. But I have every intention of continuing try to find stars. And when I say stars, I mean great players that have a positive effect on winning, not stars that people want to watch, but stars that help winning basketball because I think that?s what Celtics fans want -- to win.?

Bolded part is the most relevant, imo.  I think he's talking about Rondo there.  Yeah, Black White Chocolate was fun to watch, but he didn't really help us win.  I'm excited to see Ainge build a team with players who can actually have a positive impact on the win/loss record.

Re: Ainge's possible thoughts on Rondo
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 02:56:39 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
WOW!

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 02:59:53 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I love Rondo and wish he could have stayed a Celtic but it is shocking how little difference he seemed to make in winning or losing this season.

Mike

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 03:03:06 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Saw this in an article:

There will be much discussion (and consternation) in the aftermath of Rondo's departure. Debates will rage about whether Boston made the right move and if Ainge got enough in return. Ultimately, Ainge might have summed up the team's situation best when discussing trade whispers on Boston sports radio WBZ-FM on Thursday morning.

?I think Celtics fans want to see good team basketball and winning basketball,? Ainge SAID. ?I think we need to start moving in that direction. We need to win; play the game the right way and win. I don?t know if stars are required. Winning is what?s important. It?s assumed in the NBA that stars are needed and that?s true, but there have been successful teams without a star. But I have every intention of continuing try to find stars. And when I say stars, I mean great players that have a positive effect on winning, not stars that people want to watch, but stars that help winning basketball because I think that?s what Celtics fans want -- to win.?

Bolded part is the most relevant, imo.  I think he's talking about Rondo there.  Yeah, Black White Chocolate was fun to watch, but he didn't really help us win.  I'm excited to see Ainge build a team with players who can actually have a positive impact on the win/loss record.

I can't argue that he had to have been partly thinking of Rondo when he said that, but keep in mind that the Celtics' front office and coaching staff is in complete awe of what the Spurs have done. It's likely that he was publicizing the team's desire for guys that fit seamlessly into the system Stevens has designed -- or any system, really, given that a "system" implicitly emphasizes team unity -- and not guys who are bigger than the team.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/