Author Topic: Did we wait too long to trade rondo? could ainge have gotten more?  (Read 779 times)

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
To be honest, to me it is somewhat shocking that ainge got less for Rondo in his supposed prime than for an aged Pierce/garnett heck he got less than he did for doc rivers.

But on the other hand looking at rondos stats a case could be made that he isnt a top 10pg any more whereas a few years ago you could say that he was top 3.

His scoring has been atrocious for someone who wants a max deal. 8ppg? And his ft shooting has regressed. He hasnt played like the guy who put up 45 on miami or who could take series over by himself

It just makes me depressed thinking that just a couple years ago we were talking cp3 for rondo. And ultimately we get a mid-late first rounder and some scraps

Re: Did we wait too long to trade rondo? could ainge have gotten more?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 02:04:18 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
We absolutely waited too long.  Yes.  I don't even think it's disputable.  I'm sure the return for Rondo has never been what people hoped, but I'm pretty certain it was better than bench players and a late 2016 1st.  I mean... we got 4 unprotected 1sts + Zeller + another 1st for KG and Pierce when those two were half retired.

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 02:56:20 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
We absolutely waited too long.  Yes.  I don't even think it's disputable.  I'm sure the return for Rondo has never been what people hoped, but I'm pretty certain it was better than bench players and a late 2016 1st.  I mean... we got 4 unprotected 1sts + Zeller + another 1st for KG and Pierce when those two were half retired.

1.  Few teams in history have ever made as bad a trade as the Nets did for KG and Pierce.

2.  The way to get more for Rondo would have been to trade him before he hurt his knee.  Who was going to do that?

Mike

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 03:14:58 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

1.  Few teams in history have ever made as bad a trade as the Nets did for KG and Pierce.

2.  The way to get more for Rondo would have been to trade him before he hurt his knee.  Who was going to do that?

Mike
I know some people insist the Rondo trade rumors over the years were baseless, but seeing Ainge dump him for a lowly 2016 protected 1st should put the "media conspiracy" theories to rest.  So if we take those trade rumors at face value, it sure seems like there were better offers on the table prior and perhaps even after his injury.  Pre-injury we could have gotten Pau Gasol for him. Part of me still wonders how Pau, Kg and Pierce would have done together.  Post-injury it sounds like the Kings were willing to make a stupid offer for Rondo at one point. 

The specifics don't matter. We could have gotten more for rondo this past summer had we not been putting all our efforts towards landing Kevin love. Surely a team like the lakers or Knicks would have given up more before both of those teams got to their current point of no return.

I don't think it's debatable. We waited too long.