Author Topic: I'll miss Rondo  (Read 533 times)

I'll miss Rondo
« on: December 19, 2014, 01:25:44 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I became a huge fan around 2006, after watching Pierce nail a few clutch shots to pretty much end the game. I'll never forget the step back, Pierce did to pretty much put the team in the coffin. After that game, and having played for my freshmen basketball team as a bench backup PG. I was learning the in and outs of playing a strong defensive style coupled with intelligent passing. I wasn't allowed to watch professional sports cause my father deemed it useless. I'm a Korean born in America in NY.

I'll never forget the drafting of Rondo. Critics were quick to assume he would flop. "Can't shoot, defense won't translate in the NBA."

He entered 4 defensive first/second with steals leader in 2010.

I watched his play and emulated it as my own. I have had a hole in my heart at the age of 3 months old, so the probability of me sustaining the full minutes as a starting PG for my HS was unlikely. My coach Mr. Hendricks told me in '05 to study a player like Rajon Rondo. Coincidentally, I was a Celtics fan, and knew he was drafted recently. So I studied film and adapted my style on his accurate passing and court vision.

I averaged 5 APG in 14.5 MPG, and was touted the best passer in my team. Days, and days I would work on my shot, but to no avail. I wasn't anywhere as good as Rondo pre ACL injury finishing where he ranked around the rim above Westbrook/Rose. But... I tried my best to follow the way he would play.

5 games before the season ended for our high school team, I suffered before practice a severe asthmatic attack. Doctors told me to stop playing basketball, at the time, my passion was Culinary arts, and I knew it was my calling at the time.

I quit. Coach understood saying my health was just as important. I'll never forget the salute and honor my teammates gave me saying I competed day in and out. Our team lost 5 games in a row due to a injury to two starters, and I watched Rondo in my spare time. He wasn't anything special, but I watched the way he operated on the court, fearless at 6'0, and not afraid of defending any PG.

The year we won the championship, I was so proud to bleed Green. I had studied numerous VHS tapes from a old guy at a convenience store when I was living in NY for pennies. Watching film of Bird, Pierce, and experiencing Rondo/KG showed me what it meant to be a true Celtic.

As my days of basketball ended, I followed Rondo. The Heat vs Celtics showed me how much passion Rondo had, and it really touched me. As years went by, numerous rumors went about, I got worried. Pierce/KG were no longer able to dial it in and the sweepstakes for Love seemed out of our favor, after the heartbreaking trade to the Nets. I wished Love came here, it would've kept a legend like Rondo here, but alas, things happen. And that is life in its own continuity. A lump in my throat, knew once CLE got the 1st pick, Love was out of our hands.

I grew up watching Rondo, because I believed he was and still is the greatest passer in the NBA. I'll still bleed Green, but man this hurt me a little more than the Pierce trade. As a PG who once dreamed of making the NBA, but knowing its futility, Rondo became the beacon of hope that he would one day succeed and prosper as one of the greatest Celtics ever. Call me a homer. I grew up experiencing Bird's performances, but Rondo became my uprising from child hood to teenager/ adulthood. Years of practicing in the gym, but getting too worn out to endure practices took such a toll on me.

I'll miss Rondo, one of my favorite players. I know some long time users have seen Bird and even Russell/Cousy in their primes, and I salute to you. But as a young Celtics fan growing up adoring the Banners, and grit/teamwork, it became quintessential for me to fall in love with the team.
I never saw the growth of Pierce, more like him sort of entering/ending his prime. But Rondo? I did happily. And I'm sad to say I won't be able to see his prime ending in BOS.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different