Author Topic: Bad news for our draft pick: We're better now.  (Read 2641 times)

Bad news for our draft pick: We're better now.
« on: December 19, 2014, 01:09:13 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
While I will always regard Rondo as one of my favorite Celtics to watch (you could argue he's one of the most exciting players in history) he was no longer a fit for this team. The Celtics defense, which has shown to be their greatest weakness this season, will be drastically improved with the addition of Wright, and the subtraction of Rondo. I respect Rondo and all but for the past few seasons he's been playing some pretty lackluster D. That's hard to deny. Wright on the other hand, has made a name for himself as a stellar interior defender/rim protector, something the Celtics have been sorely lacking for about 4 years.

I know people don't expect much from Nelson, but it's often forgot he's a former all star and was the 2nd best player on a team that made the finals. I know that was while ago, but it's not like his shooting stroke has suffered. I expect Nelson to get a good chunk of playing time at PG behind Marcus Smart, who will eventually end up starting, and will also benefit from Rondo's departure. As for Jae Crowder - He doesn't have all that high of a ceiling but could blossom into a James Posey type role player which would be amazing.

This team is going to be better. Think about it, they're only 5 games under .500 with only 23 games having been played, a lot better than a lot of people projected. I'm excited to see what Stevens can have these guy do. 

more trades to come before the deadline though probably.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 01:16:04 AM by perks-a-beast »

Re: Bad news for our draft pick: We're better now.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 01:13:14 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
While I will always regard Rondo as one of my favorite Celtics to watch (you could argue he's one of the most exciting players in history) he was no longer a fit for this team. The Celtics defense, which has shown to be their greatest weakness this season, will be drastically improved with the addition of Wright, and the subtraction of Rondo. I respect Rondo and all but for the past few seasons he's been playing some pretty lackluster D. That's hard to deny. Wright on the other hand, has made a name for himself as a stellar interior defender/rim protector, something the Celtics have been sorely lacking for about 4 years.
I believe that ainge will fix this problem by shipping green and bass out of town. Don't worry about it.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 01:16:33 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
From a Washington Post article written in May of this year. Doesn't sound like a stellar defender to me.

Perhaps it’s his penchant for making ill-timed defensive blunders? Wright grades out as a below-average defender for his position, despite his shot-blocking and mobility. Especially on a Mavs team that lacks a great deal of individual defensive talent and one that must succeed through scheme and execution, his tendencies to get lost in pick-and-roll coverage must make it difficult for Carlisle to trust him for long stretches:

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 01:18:13 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I can't ever conceive that we are better now.

We are going to stink- and I think that was the aim of this trade.
I think he could have waited till the offseason or deadline, but he did it now because we need to position ourselves for this draft  correctly.

I give serious kudos to Ainge for having the balls to pull the trigger now, but this franchise needs some serious luck (as all championship teams with championship players do), and that luck is via the draft- at least for the time being.

We are going to see Zellers numbers crash, Olynyk, and Green.
We need to move Green now and I'd say there's some kind of deal that Danny's willing to take pretty soon. Bass is in the same boat.

We have an easy stretch of games coming up and now they aren't so easy. Every game counts in the lottery and Zeller and Rondo were winning us a few too many games.

Once Green and Bass are gone does anyone really think this team is as good as the Knicks or Pistons who are 4 games behind?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 01:24:25 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
We are going to see Zellers numbers crash, Olynyk, and Green.

I think Green is gone, and Zeller will drop off, but I think Olynyk may actually improve.  He was not a guy that seemed to mesh well with Rondo, and as a pretty good passer for a big we'll probably be looking to run the ball through him more now.  If we dump off Bass along with Green he'll have more opportunity there, too.

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 01:25:08 AM »

Offline Eigild

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
nah, we're going to suck badly. no impact players coming our way, only role players who could shine in the right situation (but not ours). numbers will go down for a number of players, leadership is gone. as others already mentioned, Green will ultimately also be traded which will make us even worse. headrace with the knicks for atlantic divisions second worst record.

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 01:25:50 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
As for Jae Crowder - He doesn't have all that high of a ceiling but could blossom into a James Posey type role player which would be amazing.
I like Jae Crowder too. He is someone Ainge should hang onto and develop.

I think he has more upside to him than Wright. Good defender/rebounder and his perimeter jump-shot has shown good improvement since coming into the league. He could be a guy a lot like DeMarre Carroll who becomes a very good role player and maybe even a starting caliber SF over next few years.

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 01:26:51 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Danny was probably up for 24 hours straight. After he wakes up from his nap, Green is outta here.

Bass, too, if Danny can find a taker.

What would be really sweet is if Danny can find some sucker to devastate with the Rondo TPE before the draft, and get us another pick to work with this year.

Anyways, when all is said and done (probably at the halfway mark of the season), we will be absolutely terrible. I expect us to have top 5 odds again.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 01:29:56 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
As for Jae Crowder - He doesn't have all that high of a ceiling but could blossom into a James Posey type role player which would be amazing.
I like Jae Crowder too. He is someone Ainge should hang onto and develop.

I think he has more upside to him than Wright. Good defender/rebounder and his perimeter jump-shot has shown good improvement since coming into the league. He could be a guy a lot like DeMarre Carroll who becomes a very good role player and maybe even a starting caliber SF over next few years.

I've been impressed with Crowder too - he's kind of a younger, more mobile version of the player Wallace is now.  If he gets a consistent jumper he'll be very useful.  If we can keep him on the cheap he's worth looking at.

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 01:41:37 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The team today is about even with the team yesterday.  Not better or worse.  We lose rondos great abilities that help and lose his negative faults that hold us back.  Net gain of zero. Net loss of zero.

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 01:42:53 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466
Danny was probably up for 24 hours straight. After he wakes up from his nap, Green is outta here.

What would be really sweet is if Danny can find some sucker to devastate with the Rondo TPE before the draft, and get us another pick to work with this year.

Anyways, when all is said and done (probably at the halfway mark of the season), we will be absolutely terrible. I expect us to have top 5 odds again.

I think you are spot on in everything you said.  I like Green, but he is probably going to get paid after declining his player option.  At this point, he probably isn't matching up with the tear down process.

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 01:48:35 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Lewis was the second best player on that Orlando team that made the finals. Just mocked for being overpaid.

Nelson was never great and is horrible now. That is why Houston was desperate at PG. If you are trying to spin Nelson into anything useful, you aren't being honest with yourself.

Smart is still clueless on offense and will have to absorb more minutes. Between Pressey and Smart, we will see even more ill-advised 3s.

I do think that starting Smart will let him improve at a much quicker pace. It will also probably mean that we will see him penetrating more without Rondo trying to set Smart up for jumpers he can't hit. I expect major improvement, assuming he doesn't keep hurting himself.

Then again, other bad teams also have a lot of young guys who will get more experience over the course of the season. It is easy to overrate that for the team you root for.

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 02:08:15 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

I think you are spot on in everything you said.  I like Green, but he is probably going to get paid after declining his player option.  At this point, he probably isn't matching up with the tear down process.

Agreed, Ainge has chosen the tanks-only road now. In a way, this was the biggest asset that the Rondo trade afforded us: an accelerated plummet. Hopefully this will lead us to an accelerated rebirth.

If we can figure out a way to accelerate the Nets' own plummet with our TPE (grease the wheels of a trade that sends out one of their big stars by alleviating return salary), it would be enormously beneficial. Start dreaming of this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNpIqFsnl0o

TP for the response.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 02:20:27 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
The team today is about even with the team yesterday.  Not better or worse.  We lose rondos great abilities that help and lose his negative faults that hold us back.  Net gain of zero. Net loss of zero.

WOW!

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 02:22:47 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466

Agreed, Ainge has chosen the tanks-only road now. In a way, this was the biggest asset that the Rondo trade afforded us: an accelerated plummet. Hopefully this will lead us to an accelerated rebirth.

If we can figure out a way to accelerate the Nets' own plummet with our TPE (grease the wheels of a trade that sends out one of their big stars by alleviating return salary), it would be enormously beneficial. Start dreaming of this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNpIqFsnl0o

TP for the response.

thanks for the vid.  tp right back at ya.