Author Topic: Does it bother anyone else?  (Read 11929 times)

Re: Does it bother anyone else?
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2014, 07:36:47 PM »

Offline MSceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 23
I posted this on an another thread, and will just post it again.

A friend of mine from the Philippines made a pretty good argument on Facebook about Boston and Free Agents and I kind of agree. There's no loyalty with Danny Ainge, he will move you if he see's fit to his plans. And he said that that's one more reason why Boston can't attract Free Agents, other than the other factors.

I mean, I agree. Being disingenuous and lack of loyalty will scare off talent. It does bother me, now that you mention it.

I don't think that holds at all. Ainge has always traded his star players to good situations. He sent Perkins to a contender, he sent Garnett and Pierce to a contender (well, we thought they'd be one at the time), he sent Rondo to a contender.

If anything that shows a great deal of loyalty and a concern for his players.

I completely disagree.  It's not just that he trades these legends (Perk aside, lol ;D) for peanuts, it's that, even when we were contenders, he routinely shopped Ray Allen, Rondo, and even Pierce, and that's what bothers me.  Remember when he tried to trade Rondo and Allen for Stuckey and Hamilton?  Are you kidding me!?  There were multiple times when Ray was practically traded, only for things to fall apart at the last minute.  OJ Mayo?  Really? ::)  At some point, it gets to be too much.  These guys are Hall of Famers, and yet he treats them like the crap he got back from Mavs today, when they deserve better.  Much better.  You never hear about the Spurs routinely trying to move Duncan, Parker, or Ginobili, or Dallas trying to trade Dirk, do you?  What really gets me is that, after all of that bull crap, he then has the gall to act stunned when guys like Ray leave after he neglected to sign him before reaching out to Jason Terry, and that is completely unacceptable to me.  Oh sure, he would have given Ray a no trade clause, but it's too late, the damage has been done.  If I had ever been in Pierce or Ray's shoes, the first thing I would have asked for during contract negotiations is a no-trade clause.  Oh, you can have your cheap 'hometown discount,' but you don't get to treat me like crap.  It just really bothers me.  Ainge sucks.  Whenever potential offers came up for Bird, McHale, and Parish, Red always reminded the owners that the Celtic tradition had been built on loyalty, and on, 'The top 5 reasons you can't blame the death of Len Bias for the collapse of the Boston Celtics,' Auerbach defended his position, saying that, "if you want your ballplayers to loyal to you and your organization, you've got to be prepared to GIVE loyalty."  Winner, winner - Sheen dinner, lol. ;D

Rave on, MacDuff.

Mike
Agree 100 %, the team has no face to identify with.
Next time you buy a Celtics jersey, buy the custom one with your name on it, cause our all our players are on borrowed time.
We will not see a true Celtic get to retire as a Celtic as long as Ainge is in charge.

While I agree, I'd never give the franchise that much money, lol.  At least, not until Ainge is gone, anyway.  If I did buy one of those, though, I think that the appropriate name on the back would be 'insert name here.'  Ainge sucks.

Come on guys! This is a new era of the NBA there are not alot of teams around the league who keep players their whole careers. I know this is the Boston Celtics the best franchise in NBA history and is known for legends playing here their entire career, but we as a fan base need to wake up quit whining and adapt to the new NBA landscape. Organizations cant be loyal to players to a fault because the vast majority of players will  never reciprocate that loyalty. It is a business now more than ever. The Celtics and rest of the NBA must acquire, mature, benefit from, then liquidate all their assets over time.

« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2014, 08:01:13 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Just become a spurs fan.
They have a great coach and system.  They keep their main players anywhere from quite sometime to entire career.  They get character players to adopt the team philosophy and do their part.  Any player can step up at anytime.
Spurs.  Also the celtics of past.

« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2014, 09:01:09 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13

A friend of mine from the Philippines made a pretty good argument on Facebook about Boston and Free Agents and I kind of agree. There's no loyalty with Danny Ainge, he will move you if he see's fit to his plans. And he said that that's one more reason why Boston can't attract Free Agents, other than the other factors.

I mean, I agree. Being disingenuous and lack of loyalty will scare off talent. It does bother me, now that you mention it.

I don't think that holds at all. Ainge has always traded his star players to good situations. He sent Perkins to a contender, he sent Garnett and Pierce to a contender (well, we thought they'd be one at the time), he sent Rondo to a contender.

I completely disagree.  It's not just that he trades these legends (Perk aside, lol ;D) for peanuts, it's that, even when we were contenders, he routinely shopped Ray Allen, Rondo, and even Pierce, and that's what bothers me.  Remember when he tried to trade Rondo and Allen for Stuckey and Hamilton?  Are you kidding me!?  There were multiple times when Ray was practically traded, only for things to fall apart at the last minute.  OJ Mayo?  Really? ::)  At some point, it gets to be too much.  These guys are Hall of Famers, and yet he treats them like the crap he got back from Mavs today, when they deserve better.  Much better.  You never hear about the Spurs routinely trying to move Duncan, Parker, or Ginobili, or Dallas trying to trade Dirk, do you?  What really gets me is that, after all of that bull crap, he then has the gall to act stunned when guys like Ray leave after he neglected to sign him before reaching out to Jason Terry, and that is completely unacceptable to me.  Oh sure, he would have given Ray a no trade clause, but it's too late, the damage has been done.  If I had ever been in Pierce or Ray's shoes, the first thing I would have asked for during contract negotiations is a no-trade clause.  Oh, you can have your cheap 'hometown discount,' but you don't get to treat me like crap.  It just really bothers me.  Ainge sucks.  Whenever potential offers came up for Bird, McHale, and Parish, Red always reminded the owners that the Celtic tradition had been built on loyalty, and on, 'The top 5 reasons you can't blame the death of Len Bias for the collapse of the Boston Celtics,' Auerbach defended his position, saying that, "if you want your ballplayers to loyal to you and your organization, you've got to be prepared to GIVE loyalty."  Winner, winner - Sheen dinner, lol. ;D

I give you a TP.

I totally agree. As a Ray Allen fan I find it offensive how Ainge floats his BS "anybody up for trade" MO. I pity the Rondo fans who trusted Ainge even for just a sec... "I want to bulid around Rondo" Ainge is like a politician. He will say anything and will do anything that he thinks is best for the team. The question is "Is he really a genius? Or just get lucky with Ray and KG?" He has a chance to show what he can do now. Good luck to lure any star player to come here. I'm talking here about multiple time all stars, not some wannabe stars like Monroe or Josh Smith

« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2014, 09:14:39 PM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
Just become a spurs fan.
They have a great coach and system.  They keep their main players anywhere from quite sometime to entire career.  They get character players to adopt the team philosophy and do their part.  Any player can step up at anytime.
Spurs.  Also the celtics of past.

No offense but nope.  I live in MA man.  I have all my life.  Been a fan of this team for a long long time. Probably longer than most people here. Still young too.  I like how the spurs do things though and get what you are saying with that stuff. The Celtics are the Celtics though. They still are.  Trading Rondo was a toughy though yeah and somewhat different.  But still a Celtics move.

DA is different than Red yes but not like people make it out to be. He's a little quicker to make moves for sure and will explore thigns to death trying to find the right situation.

People forget Red traded Ed Macauley to get Bill Russell.  He also scoffed at Bob Cousy at first.

« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2014, 09:49:56 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
What bothers me is that this team doesn't seem committed to winning now. The only one that seems committed to it is the coach.

At best you could say they are committed to a long rebuild, but this doesn't help with that.

« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2014, 08:40:26 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Another thing that bothers me is that we're the Denver Nuggets now. How have they been since they let Melo push them around?

« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2014, 08:57:34 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
What bothers me is that this team doesn't seem committed to winning now. The only one that seems committed to it is the coach.

At best you could say they are committed to a long rebuild, but this doesn't help with that.

It's Danny's job to act strategically; and Brad's, to act tactically.

I trust Danny to respond properly to facts on the ground. (E.g., if this young group gels faster than expected.)

« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2014, 08:59:05 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

I give you a TP.

I totally agree. As a Ray Allen fan I find it offensive how Ainge floats his BS "anybody up for trade" MO. I pity the Rondo fans who trusted Ainge even for just a sec... "I want to bulid around Rondo" Ainge is like a politician. He will say anything and will do anything that he thinks is best for the team. The question is "Is he really a genius? Or just get lucky with Ray and KG?" He has a chance to show what he can do now. Good luck to lure any star player to come here. I'm talking here about multiple time all stars, not some wannabe stars like Monroe or Josh Smith

Have you considered the caliber of players that Auerbach traded in his GM'ing career?

« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2014, 09:02:56 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Another thing that bothers me is that we're the Denver Nuggets now. How have they been since they let Melo push them around?
Decent comparison. Hopefully we add the pieces going forward that they were never able to add.

« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2014, 10:41:06 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
An NBA GM has to be a talented poker player. He has to posture and be patient. He has to setup the other teams GM. Danny has all those traits. He's know around the league as slippery and tricky.
Is he perfect, no way, no GM is perfect.

Should he be straight forward, honest and simple, and show his hand to everyone so the fans are not left out or confused ?

We hung onto Paul, Kevin, Ray, and Rondo as long as we could.
Embrace the rebuild. We're loaded with draft picks assets, we have some young talent, if we get the right center, and move some of those draft picks, with a little luck we may have something going.

« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2014, 10:47:56 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Decent comparison. Hopefully we add the pieces going forward that they were never able to add.

So we're 2 years away from winning 57 games and then firing Stevens?

« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2014, 10:55:38 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It is a business and business are out for a bottom line.  Times change and a business goals change with regards to it's resources, the market and the economy.   It is life, athletes are more assets than people, it is has always been that way.  So no, it does not bother me, I am a grown up and I know GMs lie all the time.

« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2014, 11:04:53 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
That ainge and rondo were sitting up there at the beginning of the  year and that Ainge has been saying that it was his intent to build with Rajon longterm?  Ainge countless times preached his committment to him and RAjon to us. I understand trades happen and that trading a player is always possible but seems to me like this deal was the best we could do in ways and the decision was made to move him.

I'm not someone who thinks we had to get a great return either.  I think it was more a decision to trade him or not.  I think if we are building with the young guys getting some roleplayers to help them and going the draft route and acquiring picks and lesser contracts was the way to go to get those other pieces anyways.

Not someone to be bothered by that either.  What's done is done but I just find that a bit weird.  Thing is i agreed with ainge all along that we didn't need to move him or be forced into that and it was really their call whether to do that or not and be committed in the interm.  Never was against moving him either overly.  Just more let the celtics and rondo make that decision ultimately.

Show me a quote from Ainge that he would never trade Rondo under any circumstance and you may have a better point. Until you do the language that offends you is just shop talk by an NBA GM. Ainge said he wants to build the Cs longterm with Rondo, it looks to me like he is doing just that -- building the Cs longterm with Rondo. If he had let Rondo walk without getting anything in return he would be in a situation where he would have to build longterm without Rondo.

« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2014, 11:17:00 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Knocking a GM for lying to media?

???

OP is naive if they think GM's aren't suppose to spout lying nonsense to the media.

As someone else stated, .. Ainge has created a tremendous amount of good faith among the league by sending his players to good situations.  He will also gamble on you if you are a good person (Green, Bradley).

The reason Boston cant get FA is because of the location not because the GM, a GM who has proved himself more competent then 90% of the other GMs out there.

« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2014, 02:22:35 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

So we're 2 years away from winning 57 games and then firing Stevens?
We're 2 years away from not winning anything