Author Topic: Does it bother anyone else?  (Read 11909 times)

Re: Does it bother anyone else?
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2014, 03:10:10 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I posted this on an another thread, and will just post it again.

A friend of mine from the Philippines made a pretty good argument on Facebook about Boston and Free Agents and I kind of agree. There's no loyalty with Danny Ainge, he will move you if he see's fit to his plans. And he said that that's one more reason why Boston can't attract Free Agents, other than the other factors.

I mean, I agree. Being disingenuous and lack of loyalty will scare off talent. It does bother me, now that you mention it.

I don't think that holds at all. Ainge has always traded his star players to good situations. He sent Perkins to a contender, he sent Garnett and Pierce to a contender (well, we thought they'd be one at the time), he sent Rondo to a contender.

If anything that shows a great deal of loyalty and a concern for his players.

I completely disagree.  It's not just that he trades these legends (Perk aside, lol ;D) for peanuts, it's that, even when we were contenders, he routinely shopped Ray Allen, Rondo, and even Pierce, and that's what bothers me.  Remember when he tried to trade Rondo and Allen for Stuckey and Hamilton?  Are you kidding me!?  There were multiple times when Ray was practically traded, only for things to fall apart at the last minute.  OJ Mayo?  Really? ::)  At some point, it gets to be too much.  These guys are Hall of Famers, and yet he treats them like the crap he got back from Mavs today, when they deserve better.  Much better.  You never hear about the Spurs routinely trying to move Duncan, Parker, or Ginobili, or Dallas trying to trade Dirk, do you?  What really gets me is that, after all of that bull crap, he then has the gall to act stunned when guys like Ray leave after he neglected to sign him before reaching out to Jason Terry, and that is completely unacceptable to me.  Oh sure, he would have given Ray a no trade clause, but it's too late, the damage has been done.  If I had ever been in Pierce or Ray's shoes, the first thing I would have asked for during contract negotiations is a no-trade clause.  Oh, you can have your cheap 'hometown discount,' but you don't get to treat me like crap.  It just really bothers me.  Ainge sucks.  Whenever potential offers came up for Bird, McHale, and Parish, Red always reminded the owners that the Celtic tradition had been built on loyalty, and on, 'The top 5 reasons you can't blame the death of Len Bias for the collapse of the Boston Celtics,' Auerbach defended his position, saying that, "if you want your ballplayers to loyal to you and your organization, you've got to be prepared to GIVE loyalty."  Winner, winner - Sheen dinner, lol. ;D

Rave on, MacDuff.

Mike

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2014, 03:10:37 AM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
He can change his mind. I change mine all the time.  My point though is that I wonder sometimes what his reasons for it was.  Rondo for that matter too.  People didn't want him here.  How was he supposed to feel?

The consensus was that we were going to suck this year and there was no if's ands or buts about it. I didn't really agree with that. I felt like the Celtics could change peoples minds. 

But a team expects to lose that's not really a good environment.

The media in general is really negative imo.  The patriots were all but finished but turned it around.  They now have the best team in football. Stuff like that we will never know I guess.

It takes a strong willed person to not believe everything you read though. The pats are a veteran team and have tom brady.  We are a  young team.  I think fans will be more positive about this young group now that rondo is gone.

How would you feel if you were rondo and had to listen to gary tanguay and felger all the time? These guys don't know what they are talking about. At least the Celtics have removed these guys from their broadcasts and have gone with a more positive approach. I think it's because we are a young team.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 03:20:43 AM by piercetruth34 »

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2014, 03:11:36 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

A friend of mine from the Philippines made a pretty good argument on Facebook about Boston and Free Agents and I kind of agree. There's no loyalty with Danny Ainge, he will move you if he see's fit to his plans. And he said that that's one more reason why Boston can't attract Free Agents, other than the other factors.

I mean, I agree. Being disingenuous and lack of loyalty will scare off talent. It does bother me, now that you mention it.

I don't think that holds at all. Ainge has always traded his star players to good situations. He sent Perkins to a contender, he sent Garnett and Pierce to a contender (well, we thought they'd be one at the time), he sent Rondo to a contender.

I completely disagree.  It's not just that he trades these legends (Perk aside, lol ;D) for peanuts, it's that, even when we were contenders, he routinely shopped Ray Allen, Rondo, and even Pierce, and that's what bothers me.  Remember when he tried to trade Rondo and Allen for Stuckey and Hamilton?  Are you kidding me!?  There were multiple times when Ray was practically traded, only for things to fall apart at the last minute.  OJ Mayo?  Really? ::)  At some point, it gets to be too much.  These guys are Hall of Famers, and yet he treats them like the crap he got back from Mavs today, when they deserve better.  Much better.  You never hear about the Spurs routinely trying to move Duncan, Parker, or Ginobili, or Dallas trying to trade Dirk, do you?  What really gets me is that, after all of that bull crap, he then has the gall to act stunned when guys like Ray leave after he neglected to sign him before reaching out to Jason Terry, and that is completely unacceptable to me.  Oh sure, he would have given Ray a no trade clause, but it's too late, the damage has been done.  If I had ever been in Pierce or Ray's shoes, the first thing I would have asked for during contract negotiations is a no-trade clause.  Oh, you can have your cheap 'hometown discount,' but you don't get to treat me like crap.  It just really bothers me.  Ainge sucks.  Whenever potential offers came up for Bird, McHale, and Parish, Red always reminded the owners that the Celtic tradition had been built on loyalty, and on, 'The top 5 reasons you can't blame the death of Len Bias for the collapse of the Boston Celtics,' Auerbach defended his position, saying that, "if you want your ballplayers to loyal to you and your organization, you've got to be prepared to GIVE loyalty."  Winner, winner - Sheen dinner, lol. ;D

Who cares how Ainge does it? He took over for a completely incompetent front office and within five years we won a championship. He took what was labeled a three-year project by consensus and gave it life for three extra years. And now in rebuilding year #2, Ainge has the Celtics furnished with an average of three 1st rounders per year over the next two years and an average of 2+ 1st rounders per year over the next four years. He still has assets at his disposal (Jeff Green, Rondo TPE) and despite most of our wealth being in draft pick form, miraculously the team still has intriguing young talent on the roster as we speak (Smart, Young, Sully, Olynyk, Bradley). If you want to include Zeller on that list, fine, then give Ainge credit for craftily bringing him aboard.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2014, 03:23:00 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
He can change his mind. I change mine all the time.  My point though is that I wonder sometimes what his reasons for it was.  Rondo for that matter too.  People didn't want him here.  How was he supposed to feel?

The consensus was that we were going to suck this year and there was no if's ands or buts about it. I didn't really agree with that. I felt like the Celtics could change peoples minds. 

The reasons are self-evident.  Ainge didn't see a way to build around Rondo and didn't want to pay him what he's going to want.  Would it have been better to be like the Knicks and give Rondo a max deal, even though he's proving he's not a max player?

I would bet 5 bucks that contract year Rondo would come out and blow the doors off the league.  Instead he saw a guy who STILL hasn't addressed his offensive limitations, who STILL played lackluster defense, who STILL overpassed and made completely idiotic turnovers and a guy who seemed to have little impact on winning or losing no matter how good his stats were.

Mike

« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2014, 03:34:20 AM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20

The reasons are self-evident.  Ainge didn't see a way to build around Rondo and didn't want to pay him what he's going to want.  Would it have been better to be like the Knicks and give Rondo a max deal, even though he's proving he's not a max player?

I would bet 5 bucks that contract year Rondo would come out and blow the doors off the league.  Instead he saw a guy who STILL hasn't addressed his offensive limitations, who STILL played lackluster defense, who STILL overpassed and made completely idiotic turnovers and a guy who seemed to have little impact on winning or losing no matter how good his stats were.

Mike

I don't necessarily buy that though. That's my point.  I think rondo is talented and a young player even still.  He was at the boston childrens hospital today when all this happening probably to protect him in ways.  I think people forget Rondo is still a 20 something year old and players are different now where they aren't larry bird like forged out of stone.

I'm all for marcus smart leading this team and everything but I still think it's somewhat disappointing.  Just the feeling around the team and that's that.  It's about the fans as much as anything.

People are going to be more supportive now and guys like tanguay and felger aren't going to have much to talk about.  I think in general the broadcast was shifting away from those guys anyways because they are annoying.

« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2014, 07:01:01 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
i'm not upset about how this played out.

look, getting Love would have kept Rondo here, plain n' simple. it didn't happen, there weren't many better alternatives to Love for a quick(er) rebuild.

was danny planning on just letting Rondo walk after this yr.? I actually believe so. I think BS and Rondo clashed and have clashed throughout their time together(the infamous B-day incident last yr.), and now the recent benching. I think between the time of the benching and yesterday either BS or Rondo or both went to Ainge and said "it aint workin, one of us needs to go".

I believe this because of the suddenness that one day we hear "renewed interest in moving Rondo" and such. and then the very next day, he's gone? when the trade deadline isn't until Feb., there really was no rush to move him even if we were trying to lose because we weren't winning with him anyway. but all of a sudden he gotta go? I don't know, seems there was more to it than that.

« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2014, 07:53:40 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437

That's a fair point.
I don’t think that is true. Ainge would trade anyone to any team as long as he thinks it makes the Celtics better. it just happens that contenders were looking for playoff experienced veterans which we had plenty of.

« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2014, 08:03:30 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437

Rave on, MacDuff.

Mike
Agree 100 %, the team has no face to identify with.
Next time you buy a Celtics jersey, buy the custom one with your name on it, cause our all our players are on borrowed time.
We will not see a true Celtic get to retire as a Celtic as long as Ainge is in charge.

« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2014, 08:04:33 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Isn't it possible that Rondo let Celtics management know that he was going to seek a big extension and would leave to get one if necessary.  Isn't it also possible that Ainge privately told Rondo that he wasn't going to sign him to that contract and would be looking to move him.  Isn't it possible that the public comments were made just to keep Rondo's trade value higher.  etc.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2014, 08:07:07 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Who cares how Ainge does it? He took over for a completely incompetent front office and within five years we won a championship. He took what was labeled a three-year project by consensus and gave it life for three extra years. And now in rebuilding year #2, Ainge has the Celtics furnished with an average of three 1st rounders per year over the next two years and an average of 2+ 1st rounders per year over the next four years. He still has assets at his disposal (Jeff Green, Rondo TPE) and despite most of our wealth being in draft pick form, miraculously the team still has intriguing young talent on the roster as we speak (Smart, Young, Sully, Olynyk, Bradley). If you want to include Zeller on that list, fine, then give Ainge credit for craftily bringing him aboard.

Bolded the important points people on here and elsewhere continue to overlook. He has proved he can and will do what it takes to win. We were not going to win once KG and Pierce left for at least a few years so why does it matter how bad we are now? Everyone points to JJJ, Fab Melo, and JR Giddens as Ainges poor draft choices when all those guys were drafted 20th or later while we have solid draft picks (including Bradley) in Smart, Sully, KO, and Young who we can use as the base of a new team.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2014, 07:22:53 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Rave on, MacDuff.

Mike

I never read Macbeth, so I don't understand the reference.  Sorry.  I assume that you're just calling me a ranting moron, though, right, lol? ;D

« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2014, 07:25:57 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Rave on, MacDuff.

Mike
Agree 100 %, the team has no face to identify with.
Next time you buy a Celtics jersey, buy the custom one with your name on it, cause our all our players are on borrowed time.
We will not see a true Celtic get to retire as a Celtic as long as Ainge is in charge.

While I agree, I'd never give the franchise that much money, lol.  At least, not until Ainge is gone, anyway.  If I did buy one of those, though, I think that the appropriate name on the back would be 'insert name here.'  Ainge sucks.

« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2014, 07:28:27 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
i'm not upset about how this played out.

look, getting Love would have kept Rondo here, plain n' simple. it didn't happen, there weren't many better alternatives to Love for a quick(er) rebuild.

was danny planning on just letting Rondo walk after this yr.? I actually believe so. I think BS and Rondo clashed and have clashed throughout their time together(the infamous B-day incident last yr.), and now the recent benching. I think between the time of the benching and yesterday either BS or Rondo or both went to Ainge and said "it aint workin, one of us needs to go".

I believe this because of the suddenness that one day we hear "renewed interest in moving Rondo" and such. and then the very next day, he's gone? when the trade deadline isn't until Feb., there really was no rush to move him even if we were trying to lose because we weren't winning with him anyway. but all of a sudden he gotta go? I don't know, seems there was more to it than that.

Ainge and Stevens need to grow up and get over themselves.  Who cares?

« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2014, 07:34:05 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Ah - this is the point on which you and I fundamentally disagree.  Who cares how Ainge does it?  Fans, prospective trade partners, potential free agents, and draft choices all do.  How would you ever sell anyone on coming here if they're going to be treated like crap and shopped at the first opportunity, or because Danny got bored?  If I was a player on this team, I wouldn't even buy a house or apartment - I'd live in a hotel, and put travel bags on the team bus, plane, and have one in my room as well, so that I'm always ready to go within 10-15 minutes.  I'm serious.  That's the kind of culture and type of environment that he has created here.

« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2014, 07:34:17 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I hate what I'm about to type but here goes:

The Celtics front office and ownership clearly are concerned with cultivating "The Brand" of the Celtics. The business model they envision is that of a storied winning franchise who has one goal and one goal only in mind, that is to win.

Their moves in the past five years agree with this sentiment but it doesn't help to make players feel wanted or even respected when seemingly the entire roster is tradeable.

However with that being said, the Celtics have made clear based on the long tenure of Doc and the assumed long tenure of Stevens that they view themselves in a similar vein to the other Boston franchises, which is a team solely focused on winning. Given that everyone on this board and even a casual NBA fan can agree Boston isn't a legitimate suitor for high caliber free agents, the goal is to let players know when they come here that we are focused on winning, even if that seems unlikely in the present.

The team is certainly forward thinking and has been pretty much since Ainge took tenure with a few notable exceptions (J.R. Giddens is that you?)

It might be difficult to digest or unpalatable but that's how I see it anyway.