Author Topic: Does it bother anyone else?  (Read 12013 times)

Re: Does it bother anyone else?
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2014, 02:26:10 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
You'll hear a lot of people saying that's part of his job but it's been the worst kept secret we've been shopping Rondo for a long time.  it does hurt a little to know when your team management is being disingenuous and even though it's part of the game they play to preserve a guys value and not in effect call the the vultures out. didn't work though did it? we still got a flaming pile for rondo despite efforts like the one you mention to suggest we really y didn't want to trade him, nobody believed it

A lot of people believe that Danny said he wants to keep Rondo so that he could keep Rondo's value high.  I think that is one of the biggest misconceptions, and I honestly think it's just outsiders seeing the situation from an outsiders perspective.

People seem to look at the league as of the GM's of opposing teams have no insider information, and that they only know as much as us fans know...and I think that's silly.  GM's of opposing teams are always in conversation with one another.  They all 'know' what each players' value is to their hometown GM's.  You really think that one team is going to offer more for Rondo just because Danny said he wants to keep him?  Hell no.  These teams know what a guy like Rondo is worth on the market, and they know what he is worth to them, and that's what they are going to offer - period. What Danny says in public is going to have close to zero impact on that. 

The more likely scenario is that Danny will publically say he wants to keep Rondo because:

1) It's what the fans mostly want to hear
2) It's what Rondo would probably rather hear
3) Any comments outside of this would create a media circus that nobody wants

To be honest I'm sure there was some truth to what Danny said.  This season was the first one in which we have had a healthy Rondo without stars around him.  The Celtics management probably really did want to see what Rondo could do with this group of guys.

* Would he elevate his game?
* Would he take a bigger load offensively?
* Would the team overachieve and surprise people?

If the above all happened and the Celtics were sitting in a solid 6th seed in the East, then Rondo would probably still be a Celtic.  Watching this team play you can see that Rondo's specific skill set just doesn't compliment the groups of guys we have, and it's unfortunately a lot easier to trade one guy out then it is to trade half a team out. Rondo is the type of player who will excel on a team that has either:

* Multiple superstars (like he had in the Big 3 era) who can carry the scoring load, and who can afford to have an offensive non-factor at PG

* A roster full of excellent outside shooters who can stretch the floor and make up for Rondo's lack of shooting

Boston has neither, and so when Rondo is being ignored on offense we just don't have enough shooters / scorers around to make the defence pay.

A few months of the season has gone past now, and I think both Danny and Brad have recognised that based on how this team is assembled, we need a different kind of point guard.  No knock on the quality of player Rondo is, he's just not the right fit at the time.  They tried to make it work because I'm sure they realise how impressive a talent he is, but it just wasn't meant to be...and so rather than force the issue, they're moving on.

As sad as it is (and I'm still in shock over it) I have to applaud Danny for having the "grit and balls" to make such a difficult decision, to stick to his guns, and to make the move that is in the best interest of the team.  I can guarantee you it would not have been an easy decision for Danny, for Brad, for Rajon or for anybody else on the team...but it's one that I'm sure they all agreed was best for everybody.

I wish Rondo the best of luck with the Mav's, and in a way I think he's better off because he's on a serious playoff team with a legit shot at going somewhere.

In total agreement with every word. TP.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2014, 02:32:05 AM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
That's kind of point though.  We had that choice and so did rondo. If they didn't and couldn't give up on one another and had no choice  but to be losers or win maybe rondo would have done those things.  I think the quality of play in the nba suffers because of stuff like that.  Players don't improve.  They can just go elsewhere.  I don't like giving up lol.

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2014, 02:32:10 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
That ainge and rondo were sitting up there at the beginning of the  year and that Ainge has been saying that it was his intent to build with Rajon longterm?  Ainge countless times preached his committment to him and RAjon to us. I understand trades happen and that trading a player is always possible but seems to me like this deal was the best we could do in ways and the decision was made to move him.

I'm not someone who thinks we had to get a great return either.  I think it was more a decision to trade him or not.  I think if we are building with the young guys getting some roleplayers to help them and going the draft route and acquiring picks and lesser contracts was the way to go to get those other pieces anyways.

Not someone to be bothered by that either.  What's done is done but I just find that a bit weird.  Thing is i agreed with ainge all along that we didn't need to move him or be forced into that and it was really their call whether to do that or not and be committed in the interm.  Never was against moving him either overly.  Just more let the celtics and rondo make that decision ultimately.
What annoys me is people that invent stuff that Ainge "said" out of thin air.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2014, 02:33:24 AM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
That ainge and rondo were sitting up there at the beginning of the  year and that Ainge has been saying that it was his intent to build with Rajon longterm?  Ainge countless times preached his committment to him and RAjon to us. I understand trades happen and that trading a player is always possible but seems to me like this deal was the best we could do in ways and the decision was made to move him.

I'm not someone who thinks we had to get a great return either.  I think it was more a decision to trade him or not.  I think if we are building with the young guys getting some roleplayers to help them and going the draft route and acquiring picks and lesser contracts was the way to go to get those other pieces anyways.

Not someone to be bothered by that either.  What's done is done but I just find that a bit weird.  Thing is i agreed with ainge all along that we didn't need to move him or be forced into that and it was really their call whether to do that or not and be committed in the interm.  Never was against moving him either overly.  Just more let the celtics and rondo make that decision ultimately.

Ainge did say that flat out that it was his intent to build with rondo "longterm".  Would you like me to find it?  It's not out of thin air.  He actually said it more than once too.

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2014, 02:33:44 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I still don't understand this strategy by Ainge though lol. What a guy

Danny Ainge: Rajon Rondo 'assured me that he wants to stay - Sept 22nd 2014
Rajon "assured me he wants to stay". He said it would only take $20 million per year.

::)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2014, 02:33:57 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

I'm sorry if you ever believed a word that came out of Danny's mouth.  This is a guy who lied to Antoine's MOTHER about never trading her son.  He's a tool.

No he is not. He is a great GM.

I'm sorry you feel that way.  Ainge sucks.

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2014, 02:36:25 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Ainge did say that flat out that it was his intent to build with rondo "longterm".  Would you like me to find it?  It's not out of thin air.
No, let ME find it for you. Wait, here it is, September 22, well before the start of season:

"Ainge: Celtics Would Like to Keep Rondo, But Trade is Possible". That's certainly the same as "build around Rondo long-term", right?

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2014/09/ainge_celtics_would_like_to_keep_rondo_but_trade_is_possible.html

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2014, 02:37:25 AM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White

Ainge did say that flat out that it was his intent to build with rondo "longterm".  Would you like me to find it?  It's not out of thin air.
No, let ME find it for you. Wait, here it is, September 22, well before the start of season:

"Ainge: Celtics Would Like to Keep Rondo, But Trade is Possible". That's certainly the same as "build around Rondo long-term", right?

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2014/09/ainge_celtics_would_like_to_keep_rondo_but_trade_is_possible.html

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/23/celtics-ainge-on-gresh-zo-were-not-trading-rondo/

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/09/danny_ainge_cant_say_more_emph.html

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2014, 02:38:51 AM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
He also said it again not that long again where he specifically said "long term" again when asked the question specifically whether he still meant long term. I'm still looking for that one.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 02:49:20 AM by piercetruth34 »

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2014, 02:45:54 AM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
Thing is Ainge has always said there is always a possibility of trading anyone but he has specifically said and denied that rondo would be traded and that he was part of their long term plans.  He did say that.  I've always known there was a possibility of him being traded but he did say that.

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2014, 02:50:56 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I posted this on an another thread, and will just post it again.

A friend of mine from the Philippines made a pretty good argument on Facebook about Boston and Free Agents and I kind of agree. There's no loyalty with Danny Ainge, he will move you if he see's fit to his plans. And he said that that's one more reason why Boston can't attract Free Agents, other than the other factors.

I mean, I agree. Being disingenuous and lack of loyalty will scare off talent. It does bother me, now that you mention it.

I don't think that holds at all. Ainge has always traded his star players to good situations. He sent Perkins to a contender, he sent Garnett and Pierce to a contender (well, we thought they'd be one at the time), he sent Rondo to a contender.

If anything that shows a great deal of loyalty and a concern for his players.

I completely disagree.  It's not just that he trades these legends (Perk aside, lol ;D) for peanuts, it's that, even when we were contenders, he routinely shopped Ray Allen, Rondo, and even Pierce, and that's what bothers me.  Remember when he tried to trade Rondo and Allen for Stuckey and Hamilton?  Are you kidding me!?  There were multiple times when Ray was practically traded, only for things to fall apart at the last minute.  OJ Mayo?  Really? ::)  At some point, it gets to be too much.  These guys are Hall of Famers, and yet he treats them like the crap he got back from Mavs today, when they deserve better.  Much better.  You never hear about the Spurs routinely trying to move Duncan, Parker, or Ginobili, or Dallas trying to trade Dirk, do you?  What really gets me is that, after all of that bull crap, he then has the gall to act stunned when guys like Ray leave after he neglected to sign him before reaching out to Jason Terry, and that is completely unacceptable to me.  Oh sure, he would have given Ray a no trade clause, but it's too late, the damage has been done.  If I had ever been in Pierce or Ray's shoes, the first thing I would have asked for during contract negotiations is a no-trade clause.  Oh, you can have your cheap 'hometown discount,' but you don't get to treat me like crap.  It just really bothers me.  Ainge sucks.  Whenever potential offers came up for Bird, McHale, and Parish, Red always reminded the owners that the Celtic tradition had been built on loyalty, and on, 'The top 5 reasons you can't blame the death of Len Bias for the collapse of the Boston Celtics,' Auerbach defended his position, saying that, "if you want your ballplayers to loyal to you and your organization, you've got to be prepared to GIVE loyalty."  Winner, winner - Sheen dinner, lol. ;D 

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2014, 02:53:10 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Thing is Ainge has always said there is always a possibility of trading anyone but he has specifically said and denied that rondo would be traded and that he was part of their long term plans.  He did say that.  I've always known there was a possibility of him being traded but he did say that.

He said that about Toine, Pierce, Ray, and Garnett, as well.  His word means absolutely nothing.

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2014, 02:55:01 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Ainge did say that flat out that it was his intent to build with rondo "longterm".  Would you like me to find it?  It's not out of thin air.  He actually said it more than once too.

Yeah, he said that multiple times.  This point hasn't been invented at all.  Geesh. ::)

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2014, 03:02:38 AM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
Also if you listen to the videos when we drafted smart, Ainge said Rond o was still part of their long term plans and that he and smart could definitely coexist.  Wyc also said we have an allstar pg so that isn't the problem. They also kicked the tires on kevin love. There have been several instances outside of that as well.

I'm all for the youth movement and it makes sense but it's just difficult to tell what the Celtics really felt is all.  Whether they felt swayed by media pressure or whatever. That's what I'm saying about having an out in ways. Seemed to me like the Celtics felt things could work with Rondo.  Just difficult to tell how they really felt.

The team is about the fans as much as anything but there is so much media nowadays and people with agendas and all that I think people can get swayed that way.

People eat up trade rumors and that's what gets reported because people eat it up.  I'm not one of them.  It becomes reality in ways the Celtics and boston teams in the past aren't usually teams that follow what's trending.  They usually prove those people wrong. 

I'm not saying this was the wrong thing either. Going with youth makes sense to me but even still.

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2014, 03:05:17 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
When Ainge said it, he probably meant it.  I really doubt Ainge expected to see what we've seen out of Rondo this season, even with his injuries.  Is a guy not allowed to change his mind.

Mike